Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-29-2023, 11:19 AM   #1
Minnie Winnie Captain

Question Storage Question: Covered vs Enclosed Storage in NC?

Hello Everyone!

As I mentioned in my welcome post, my wife and I just purchased a 2020 25B. As I've been looking at storage options, I definitely want to go with covered storage to protect our roof, however, I'm questioning the Pros/cons of enclosed vs covered.

I have found 2 Garage style storage units (one with power, one without), however I'm wondering if the enclosed storage will be an issue due to humidity buildup?

The other option I've found is an open parking lot that has a cover extending the length of the parking row. Since it accommodates 35' units, I should have more than enough of an overhang on each side for my 26' Class C, however, I'm wondering about moisture seeping up from the gravel as well as any exposure to the elements. Obviously, there will be moving air so humidity shouldn't be as much of an issue.

What have ya'll done? An I overthinking this? I assume that I should not leave the windows/bathroom vents open in storage due to critters, correct?
AstroPizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 01:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Different places will change the answer but looking at your profile for Florida may lean one way or another?
I tend to like fully enclosed but the price is often a factor then.
One is security is often much, much better and that is almost always a concern, especially with converter theft being a biggie!
Open lots, even with giant fences and cammeras are not as safe because the bad guys are often renting space there!
It takes very little to slip under an RV and saw off what they want.

The power is often a good idea to have if it allows you to use some fomr of charging to keep both chassis and coach topped up! If new to RV, many lose the first set of batteries due to missing that the coach may be charging off the converter onboard but not the chassis battery!
Confusion comes when folks know the two are connected when driving and they miss the connection is broken when we shut down the RV engine! They may keep it plugged and the converter on but the chassis battery drains to kill it! Watch close when first getting it all down if a new game?

A biggie for enclosed may also be the habits of folks who just can't stay off other's property. They can just screw up an amazing number of things when they get a chance!
Things like climb the fence and cut the valves off all the tires in the lot?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 01:31 PM   #3
Minnie Winnie Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
A biggie for enclosed may also be the habits of folks who just can't stay off other's property. They can just screw up an amazing number of things when they get a chance!
Things like climb the fence and cut the valves off all the tires in the lot?
Security is a factor I hadn't thought of, that's a good point. Also, the enclosed space isn't much more expensive so I was leaning that way until the sales guy at the covered lot got me worried about the humidity buildup in an enclosed storage facility (I can't afford climate controlled).

As I'm new to RVing, I wasn't sure if he was just trying to say something to convince me that his open, but covered lot was better or not?
Old 08-29-2023, 02:07 PM   #4
Site Team

There are other issues with enclosed - rodents can be an issue. But you can put out traps.

I use covered because it's half the cost of enclosed. Plus, I used enclosed once on another RV and it was hard to park. Hard to access the RV in storage. Etc.

But then I've had two catalytic converters stolen from the covered slot.

If they are similar in price I'd probably choose enclosed but I'd put in lots of rat and mouse glue pads everywhere in there and check it often. You'll want to visit your RV at least once per month. To run the engine, check the batteries, run the generator and the A/C unit to exercise the genset. I like to move mine in and out and park a bit differently to keep the tires round.

Once every 3-months I take the RV out and drive it 10-15 miles to keep everything working well.

Normally we go camping every few months, but due to family commitments we haven't been out since March.

PS. You know that your 25B is a Minnie Winnie... but we don't. It always helps to give full model year, name and floorplan when posting. Most of us add it to a Signature in the Profile. Here's how to do that:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EditSignature.png
Views:	23
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	187102  
Old 08-29-2023, 02:52 PM   #5
Minnie Winnie Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
There are other issues with enclosed - rodents can be an issue. But you can put out traps.

I use covered because it's half the cost of enclosed. Plus, I used enclosed once on another RV and it was hard to park. Hard to access the RV in storage. Etc.

But then I've had two catalytic converters stolen from the covered slot.
Hmm, so it seems the real benefit of enclosed is definitely the security aspect. So, was the Storage guy just blowing smoke about the issue of humidity in enclosed units?

(Thanks for the tip, I've updated my sig)

My wife says that I'm great at breaking things that don't need to be fixed...
Old 08-29-2023, 03:07 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroPizza View Post
So, was the Storage guy just blowing smoke about the issue of humidity in enclosed units?
Probably not in North Carolina. In this part of Texas, that's not too big an issue. If you're checking the RV regularly you'll know for sure.
Old 09-03-2023, 04:25 PM   #7
1996 Itasca 29Q

On the subject of stolen Cats has anyone had a muffler shop make the converter removable? Cut it out and weld flanges on the ends?
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 05:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobn1957 View Post
On the subject of stolen Cats has anyone had a muffler shop make the converter removable? Cut it out and weld flanges on the ends?
Sionce it has become such a problem all across the world, folks have developed different cages and covers to reduce the risk. I have no specific item to recommend, though. Possibly a search to see what turns up before going custom?

The issue of storing situation would be one that might depend on lots of small points. One is the weather! But for rodents, how the building is built and maintained is another. Outside, I have had several problems with things like chipmunks getting in to build nests or chew wiring. On an old carb style engine, they stuffed the air intake full of acorns!
Rats and mice are almost everywhere both in or out, so we have always kept some rat bars thrown back into the open spaces in the rv where the rodent is most likely to want to live and nest. It makes them die pretty quick and dry so there is little to no smell. I also like to avoid checking traps to see if they need reset!

For the humidity question, we have never found it a problem but there may be a way to check that before fully committing? Can you rent by the month, rather than commit to long term? That might give you time to check what happens in that specific weather and building?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage