Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-26-2023, 07:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

A/C Thermostat problems in 2000 Itasca Suncruiser

Hello Everyone Hope someone can hejpme. I have a 2000 Itasca Suncruiser. Some how I blew out the fuse in the A/C Furnace Thermostat. I put in a new one. Exact same size. The AC came on. But didn't seem to be cooling as good. But it is really hot outside. So I checked the fuse again. I accidentl touched the fuse to a ground screw. It sparked....Now I can't get the AC to work. Just the fan only. Did I blow out the thermostat switch. Or What?
Please Help
jmsdn62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 11:50 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

What model AC and thermostat do you have? Also, let us know the specific model Suncruiser so we can be accurate with our recommendations.

While you're at it, you might want to go to the User CP and set up a signature block like mine so we always know your exact model every time you post.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 02:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

One of the big points of the thermostat is that they can be boiled down to being a simple set of switches if we can get the right info on which wire does which operation.
There are different settings to control the different operations like fan, heat, or cool.

What one needs to sort which ougoing wires will do which operation, is the wiring diagrams. Either the wiring of the thermostat OR wiring of some specific item it controls, like the air.

With the correct brand and model number of the thermostat, it is often possible to test if the speciifc function works by connecting the various wires together manually instead of letting the thermostat do it when the correct temp is reached.

But that first means we have to get the correct info on what thermostat is involved as there are many small points which can make a difference!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 07:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Your Suncruiser came standard with the ColemanMach/RVP basement heat pump, per the sales brochure picture of the passenger side view, which shows the Winnebago grill covering the unit.

The OEM 'stat is likely toast now. But before you begin spending money, download the service manual for your model number heat pump and follow the troubleshooting tree for diagnostics.
You will find a sticker on the left end of the unit exterior with model# (towards rear cap) You'll likely have to use a mirror and flashlight to read the data sticker, or if there is room snap a picture with your phone.

The replacement 'stat is about $139 from Camping World (lowest price). It is more user-friendly with a digital screen to display temperatures instead of the slide switch that makes you guess at setting temperature.
It also a direct plug N play install, the only difference is the screw hole placement is different. Otherwise it is the same size.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 07:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

What RayIN said, it is a plug and play. We got ours on Amazon a couple of years ago and all is well. I also took the opportunity to reinforce the control guages mounting panel in the hallway by gluing light gauge metal strips on the backside for the mounting screws for the new thermostst to go into so they won't keep getting loose and strip out. Good luck.
Old 09-04-2023, 04:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsdn62 View Post
Hello Everyone Hope someone can hejpme. I have a 2000 Itasca Suncruiser. Some how I blew out the fuse in the A/C Furnace Thermostat. I put in a new one. Exact same size. The AC came on. But didn't seem to be cooling as good. But it is really hot outside. So I checked the fuse again. I accidentl touched the fuse to a ground screw. It sparked....Now I can't get the AC to work. Just the fan only. Did I blow out the thermostat switch. Or What?
Please Help
The original thermostat has always been a problem. Many of us have replaced it with the Micro Air EasyTouch. It is full of features including WiFi and Bluetooth access from your phone. The extra cost is worth the reliability and features. Taking a look is free: https://www.microair.net/collections...n-replacements
Rick

Tags
ems, thermostat, itasca, suncruiser, problems