Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-19-2023, 03:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

No power, Fuel filter location? 1998 Chieftan

A friend of mine just bought a 98 Chieftan. He's not real mechanical so I'm helping him work on it. Even though it's a 98 it only has 20k miles, and you can tell by looking at it. It's in great shape. Only issue is after it warms up(20mins or so), under load it has no power. You can let it set for about 10 mins and start it again and it will run fine untill it warms up again. It's got the Ford 460 gas burner in it. I kinda thought it might be the coil just due to the age of the coach & the fact it runs fine again after it "cools down". I bought a new coil, cap, rotor and wires & fuel filter. Also replaced ignition module(it tested bad)(waiting on wires, because they had to be ordered). This morning I replaced the ign module & ign coil. Was going to replace the cap & rotor but it was obvious they didn't need it. Like I said I'm still waiting on the wires. Weather here's been horrible and I didn't want to get under it in the mud to try n find the filter. Can anyone advise to where the fuel filter is located? Or possibly lead in a direction as to what it could be causing the issue. It's only under load and idles normal all the time. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance.
vsa266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 05:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'll give a guess/ shot in the dark type answer but it is really pressing things to say I remember! At one point way back I did chase one but I no longer even know what year it was.
Have you done a search for the part, to have an idea of what they look like? That might be one easy place to get some info? Point to be aware of before buying is the way RV are often built on chassis which are a year older than the RV body! There should be a label near the driver's seat with info on the build date of the chassis and other good info. Sometimes a label out under the hood as well.

Since these are basic truck body, a check of the libraries may turn up an old Haines, etc repair manual? But you are pressing on Vintage that may not be on the shelf any more!

Possibly place to look?
It is located under the truck on the fuel line coming from tank about even with the seat
Often hidden on the other side of the frame---no matter which side you are on!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 01:08 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Other things to consider are the fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, and vacuum leaks. On some of those model years the fuel pressure regulator was controlled by an engine vacuum line.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 07:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Fuel filter in-tank? If so, you might be able to hear the pump running with just key in on position, motor not running, if you have your ear next to the tank. If you do, most likely the filter is on the pump.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 04:33 PM   #5
1996 Itasca 29Q

The fuel filter is likely mounted in the frame rail, follow the frame back from the engine and it should be there somewhere, I don't think the filter will be in the tank because it would be a maintenance nightmare!
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, cat, fuel