Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-11-2010, 07:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sedgwick,Ks
Posts: 13
My first winnebago

This looks like a great web site with a lot of good folks and information.
We just purchased our first Winnebago product so I will be on this site alot for information and help.
Our new purchase (well, new to us) is a 2005 adventurer 38r. Yes it is alot of motorhome on a gas chassis but liked the floorplan and features.
Not sure what to expect since we are going from a 1993 diesel pusher to a gas puller other than power performance.
Any ideas on up grades,performance improvements, or personal experences on this model? Problems that should be addresed?
I am still trying to find out if this unit is one that may have the workhorse brake problems that is talked about on the workhorse forum.
Thanks for any information or help you may have.
kstrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:28 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstrails View Post
This looks like a great web site with a lot of good folks and information.
We just purchased our first Winnebago product so I will be on this site alot for information and help.
Our new purchase (well, new to us) is a 2005 adventurer 38r. Yes it is alot of motorhome on a gas chassis but liked the floorplan and features.
Not sure what to expect since we are going from a 1993 diesel pusher to a gas puller other than power performance.
Any ideas on up grades,performance improvements, or personal experences on this model? Problems that should be addresed?
I am still trying to find out if this unit is one that may have the workhorse brake problems that is talked about on the workhorse forum.
Thanks for any information or help you may have.
Welcome aboard!

We have a '04 Suncruiser, the sister ship to the Adventurer, same floor plan and all, just a little upgraded trim. I highly recommend that you do a search on this forum for an Ultrapower upgrade and then see if that is something you would like. I live at 792' and travel in the Rockies every summer. For me, the power upgrade was well worth the cost ($695 to forum members). It's not like the power of a more powerful DP, but not far from it and a big boost over the original power. I have really enjoyed mine and have had no major problems, just the ones you might expect fom normal wear and tear.
__________________
Denny & Kylene, Abby (Golden) and Josie (Sheltie),
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 38R, W22, Ultrapower
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:39 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 388
One thing I recommend... take advantage of the wealth of info available on the Winnie web site. You can download plumbing, electrical, paint and other diagrams and info, and if you have your Winnie serial number (not the VIN) you can download a callout list that specifies the exact parts used to create your RV right down to the cables, trim, and knobs.

Compared to my last RV's generic owners manual that didn't match much in my coach, it was an amazing amount of reference material that comes in handy.
__________________
Ed & Joie
2004 Vectra 40KD
Freightliner Chassis and Cummins ISC
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:58 AM   #4
Winnebago Master
 
Petro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Weyauwega, WI US
Posts: 1,485
kstrails;

Congratulations on your purchase of a 2005 Adventure. I believe you have a great coach. Do not let all the Workhorse brake posts keep you from enjoying your Adventure. The majority of us Workhorse owners have not had brake problems. There is some basic preventative measures I would encourage you to do. Change out the old brake fluid for new if it has not been done for the last couple of years. If your pins and slides on your brake calipers have not been lubed to the best of your knowledge I would advise you to take a look at that. By visiting the Workhorse Forum you will pick up on some other preventative measures. Hopefully the Bosch brake recall will get started in the next few months and we can get beyond brake concerns.

Don
__________________
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Master
 
Tom N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA
Posts: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstrails View Post
We just purchased our first Winnebago product so I will be on this site alot for information and help.
Our new purchase (well, new to us) is a 2005 adventurer 38r. Yes it is alot of motorhome on a gas chassis but liked the floorplan and features.
I also have a 2005 38R but a Suncruiser.

If your '05 38R is built on the Workhorse W24 chassis it will not be a lot of motorhome for a gas chassis. If it is built on the W22 your weight will probably exceed the legal limit of that chassis unless you carefully monitor your loaded weight.

My 38R weighs 23,200 #s loaded with 1/3 tank of fresh water.

-Tom
__________________
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · FMCA 335149 · W3TLN
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Master
 
Tom N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA
Posts: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
kstrails;

Congratulations on your purchase of a 2005 Adventure. I believe you have a great coach. Do not let all the Workhorse brake posts keep you from enjoying your Adventure. The majority of us Workhorse owners have not had brake problems. There is some basic preventative measures I would encourage you to do. Change out the old brake fluid for new if it has not been done for the last couple of years. If your pins and slides on your brake calipers have not been lubed to the best of your knowledge I would advise you to take a look at that. By visiting the Workhorse Forum you will pick up on some other preventative measures. Hopefully the Bosch brake recall will get started in the next few months and we can get beyond brake concerns.

Don
Hi Don, if kstrail's 38R is built on the W24 chassis no brake preventive measures will be needed.

-Tom
in cold Crystal River, FL until mid-April
__________________
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · FMCA 335149 · W3TLN
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wilds of West Kentucky
Posts: 46
Had a 2005 Suncruiser38J for a few years with no problems. Good coach. Great floorplan. No troubles.
__________________
2009 Winnebago Tour 40TD
Pulling a Ford Escape Hybrid with Blue Ox stuff
Rockhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palisade CO
Posts: 895
If you haven't already done so, it would be a good idea to go to the Workhorse site and register as the current owner so WH will know where to send any possible recalls or other info.
__________________
Clay WA5NMR - Ex Snowbird - 1 year, Ex Full timer for 11 years - 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Honda Accord toad.
Clay L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:34 AM   #9
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Buxton, North Dakota
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
If you haven't already done so, it would be a good idea to go to the Workhorse site and register as the current owner so WH will know where to send any possible recalls or other info.
You should also go to the Winnebago WEB site and register as the current owner of the motor home.

Winnebago Second Owner Registration
__________________
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53/ V10 605 watts of Solar
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C Handicap Equipped
F53/V10
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Master
 
Petro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Weyauwega, WI US
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
Hi Don, if kstrail's 38R is built on the W24 chassis no brake preventive measures will be needed.

-Tom
in cold Crystal River, FL until mid-April
Tom;
Thanks for the reminder. I assumed and perhaps incorrectly that his Adventure was on a W22 like mine is. I still believe brake fluid should be changed every 2 years. I wish I had a W24. I am always close to gross with just necessities.

Don
__________________
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #11
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palisade CO
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
You should also go to the Winnebago WEB site and register as the current owner of the motor home.

Winnebago Second Owner Registration
Good point - I forgot about that one.
__________________
Clay WA5NMR - Ex Snowbird - 1 year, Ex Full timer for 11 years - 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Honda Accord toad.
Clay L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 124
I suggest that you look into the Ultrapower as well. I have a 2004 Adventurer 37B which is 38 feet long (37' 12") according to the Winnie brochure. With Ultrapower and the 8.1 I can pass many diesel's going up grades without screaming the engine. For a gas rig, it is great. The 8.1 is the closest thing to a diesel you can get. Don't be afraid to let it wind going downhill, either. Let it run up to about 4000 rpm.
Joe
__________________
Joe & Sherri
2004 Winnebago Adventurer 37B
UltraPower
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:57 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sedgwick,Ks
Posts: 13
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and recommendations.
I forgot to say that I have the W22 chassis, I wish I did have the W24. I will have to watch the weight close. Have not yet had the time to get the unit to the weight scales and see where I am on weight.
Thanks for the idea of the ultrapower up grade and your experience with that product.
I did register with workhorse as a new owner.
Thanks again.
kstrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winnebago Unveils Industry-First Motorhomes in Louisville! FrontRangeRVer Winnebago General Discussions 7 12-02-2008 02:38 PM
'09 Winnebago Destination - First Look! Explore America Winnebago Class A Motorhomes 8 07-10-2008 08:03 AM
First RV planing first trip brunter Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions 17 01-01-2008 02:26 PM
Our First MH 03 Winnebago Minnie 31C Big Muskie John Winnebago Class B Motorhomes 12 02-27-2007 06:33 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×