Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Who should pay for this?

2010 Winnebago View 24A. Dodge Sprinter Chassis. I was washing the MH the other day and decided to spray water under the chassis since we just came back from a weekend trip and had some salt and sand residue. I noticed a piece of rubber hanging down. Long story short...the leaf spring mount is damaged and the rubber dampner was hanging down. Well there was no way we could have damaged this...someone....who knows, Dodge, Winnebago, Dealer, must have run into something and damaged this part of the under carriage. Unfortunately when I took delivery in early November I did not crawl under the coach and examine the under carriage otherwise I would have discovered this...Dodge dealer says $1,000+ to repair and not under warranty due to it is damaged...so my question...who should pay for this? Winnebago? Dealer?

Jim
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Sorry to hear about your problem, if you could prove someone else did the damage, they would be responsible. If you can't, the tab is on you. You may want to try to submit it to your insurance and see what they say, then you would only be out your deductible.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

On me...yeah that is what I am afraid of...if that is the case I am going to be one unhappy RV owner...I think the dealer will come through for me.
So all in all...buyer beware....if I was to do this over again I would spend all day going through every part of the RV and take video or pictures...my first RV so I am learning.

Jim
Old 12-31-2009, 10:30 PM   #4

Good luck trying to get your dealer or one of the assembling/selling parties to take responsibility! How are you going to prove you didn't do it the day you pulled off the lot? If it's actually damage and not a manufacturing defect I suspect that you are indeed about to become one unhappy RV owner. Sorry.
Let us know if you do get any kind of a positive outcome and who came through.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I am on my 3rd Winnebago Product and have watched the decline in manufacturing responsibility. I am sure that John K Hansen spins in his grave in regards to his beloved company. I have always felt that I purchased a Winnebago, not Ford, Chevy, Freightliner and feel it is obscene when the companies start pointing at the other party. In your case Winnebago should look it over and if it is there problem, fix it.

Don, WIT 70041
Getting Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

These are my first thoughts, find out who is responsible. How did it happen? Things like this should not happen under normal usage. I would not rely completely on the selling dealer for unbiased opinion
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:35 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutinyGuy View Post
On me...yeah that is what I am afraid of...if that is the case I am going to be one unhappy RV owner...I think the dealer will come through for me.
So all in all...buyer beware....if I was to do this over again I would spend all day going through every part of the RV and take video or pictures...my first RV so I am learning.

Jim
You are responsible for pre-acceptance inspection. That said, the dealer my be willing to split or even cover the damage in the name of good will.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Do you have pictures of the damage? If you did'nt notice it til you climbed under it, how does it adversely affect it ? Poor handling?, lean to one side? dangerous? or just cosmetic for anyone under the rig?
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

When you say
Quote:
I noticed a piece of rubber hanging down. Long story short...the leaf spring mount is damaged and the rubber dampner was hanging down.
could it have been hanging down since you bought your rig in Nov. and just not noticed it. You said Dodge said no, have you taken it to the selling RV dealer? Under close inspection does it look like it just happened? Unless you were driving on rough roads such as back country dirt roads or hit a large pothole there should be no reason for this to happen.....
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I'd have to see a picture, but this sounds like improper installation of the damper (bushing?).
Old 01-01-2010, 12:28 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Hi Jim,

Can’t say I’ve ever heard of a Leaf Spring Bushing ever coming out for any reason other than excessive ware and old age of the bushing on 50-year-old trucks used on country roads and it that case, the bushing just disintegrates. Check a junkyard to see if you find any bushings in the condition that yours is in, I’m betting you don’t. Are you sure it’s the bushing and not just a piece of rubber that has wedged itself in there while you were driving? Considering the physics of how they are installed, it seems to me this must be an improper installation. Therefore Ford should step up to the plate. Try to get good, well-focused, high resolution, digital picture from several angles and post them so we can see what’s going on. If you don’t have a camera that will do this, find someone where you are that can take them for you.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I would get some photos of this and contact Winnebago and the dealer at the same time. Be sure and state your case plainly and in detail.

Ken
Old 01-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Here are the pictures I sent to the Dodge dealer, again this is on a Dodge/MB Sprinter Chassis.
The coach handles fine, it drives fine. I drove back from Iowa in November and hit 40-50 mph gusts in Wyoming and didn't have any real problems.
I would say this is not unsafe but would probably result in a long-term problem.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LeafSpring1.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	2195   Click image for larger version

Name:	LeafSpring2.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	2196  

Old 01-01-2010, 04:06 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

A few more pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LeafSpring3.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	2197   Click image for larger version

Name:	LeafSpring4.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	2198  

Old 01-01-2010, 04:10 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

It looks like the damage could have been caused by a lift or floor jack.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #16
Administrator in Memoriam

To me it looks like the part was either defective or damaged when the chassis was built. Call Chrysler customer assistance and tell them it just fell apart and the dealer is balking about fixing it.

1-800-992-1997
M-F 8:00AM-6:00PM EST
Old 01-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

I'm an insurance agent. If I were you, I'd talk to my agent about this. If it is damage caused by hitting something, it should be covered by either comp or collision, depending on whether you hit an item that was moving or stationary. But, the real advantage to turning this in to your insurance is that they will have to have someone look at it and give their opinion as to what has caused the damage. If they think it is from hitting something, they will pay minus your deductible. But if they think it is, as one poster said, from a floor jack, then you will have a third party opinion you can take to the dealer that will help your argument that they are responsible for the damage.
shonrt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I can tell you we did not hit anything....nothing but Interstate and Freeway driving. I was thinking that someone put a jack underneath at some point as well. When I picked up the coach it had 16 miles on it so this happened either on Winnebago's site or when it was manufactured. But you would think that when Winnebago was building the coach and putting on the floor they would have seen this and said something? Anyway...I have faith in that my Dealer is going to help out on this.

Jim
Old 01-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Geeze, maybe I'm not seeing it right but it doesn't look like a $1000 damage. Just to put a new rubber thing in the spring?
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:20 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Mercedes Benz....to get the rubber dampner you have to purchase the entire leaf spring pack.

Jim