Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2010, 07:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

My first winnebago

This looks like a great web site with a lot of good folks and information.
We just purchased our first Winnebago product so I will be on this site alot for information and help.
Our new purchase (well, new to us) is a 2005 adventurer 38r. Yes it is alot of motorhome on a gas chassis but liked the floorplan and features.
Not sure what to expect since we are going from a 1993 diesel pusher to a gas puller other than power performance.
Any ideas on up grades,performance improvements, or personal experences on this model? Problems that should be addresed?
I am still trying to find out if this unit is one that may have the workhorse brake problems that is talked about on the workhorse forum.
Thanks for any information or help you may have.
kstrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:28 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstrails View Post
This looks like a great web site with a lot of good folks and information.
We just purchased our first Winnebago product so I will be on this site alot for information and help.
Our new purchase (well, new to us) is a 2005 adventurer 38r. Yes it is alot of motorhome on a gas chassis but liked the floorplan and features.
Not sure what to expect since we are going from a 1993 diesel pusher to a gas puller other than power performance.
Any ideas on up grades,performance improvements, or personal experences on this model? Problems that should be addresed?
I am still trying to find out if this unit is one that may have the workhorse brake problems that is talked about on the workhorse forum.
Thanks for any information or help you may have.
Welcome aboard!

We have a '04 Suncruiser, the sister ship to the Adventurer, same floor plan and all, just a little upgraded trim. I highly recommend that you do a search on this forum for an Ultrapower upgrade and then see if that is something you would like. I live at 792' and travel in the Rockies every summer. For me, the power upgrade was well worth the cost ($695 to forum members). It's not like the power of a more powerful DP, but not far from it and a big boost over the original power. I have really enjoyed mine and have had no major problems, just the ones you might expect fom normal wear and tear.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:39 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

One thing I recommend... take advantage of the wealth of info available on the Winnie web site. You can download plumbing, electrical, paint and other diagrams and info, and if you have your Winnie serial number (not the VIN) you can download a callout list that specifies the exact parts used to create your RV right down to the cables, trim, and knobs.

Compared to my last RV's generic owners manual that didn't match much in my coach, it was an amazing amount of reference material that comes in handy.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:58 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

kstrails;

Congratulations on your purchase of a 2005 Adventure. I believe you have a great coach. Do not let all the Workhorse brake posts keep you from enjoying your Adventure. The majority of us Workhorse owners have not had brake problems. There is some basic preventative measures I would encourage you to do. Change out the old brake fluid for new if it has not been done for the last couple of years. If your pins and slides on your brake calipers have not been lubed to the best of your knowledge I would advise you to take a look at that. By visiting the Workhorse Forum you will pick up on some other preventative measures. Hopefully the Bosch brake recall will get started in the next few months and we can get beyond brake concerns.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstrails View Post
I also have a 2005 38R but a Suncruiser.

If your '05 38R is built on the Workhorse W24 chassis it will not be a lot of motorhome for a gas chassis. If it is built on the W22 your weight will probably exceed the legal limit of that chassis unless you carefully monitor your loaded weight.

My 38R weighs 23,200 #s loaded with 1/3 tank of fresh water.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
kstrails;

Congratulations on your purchase of a 2005 Adventure. I believe you have a great coach. Do not let all the Workhorse brake posts keep you from enjoying your Adventure. The majority of us Workhorse owners have not had brake problems. There is some basic preventative measures I would encourage you to do. Change out the old brake fluid for new if it has not been done for the last couple of years. If your pins and slides on your brake calipers have not been lubed to the best of your knowledge I would advise you to take a look at that. By visiting the Workhorse Forum you will pick up on some other preventative measures. Hopefully the Bosch brake recall will get started in the next few months and we can get beyond brake concerns.

Don
Hi Don, if kstrail's 38R is built on the W24 chassis no brake preventive measures will be needed.

-Tom
in cold Crystal River, FL until mid-April
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Had a 2005 Suncruiser38J for a few years with no problems. Good coach. Great floorplan. No troubles.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

If you haven't already done so, it would be a good idea to go to the Workhorse site and register as the current owner so WH will know where to send any possible recalls or other info.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:34 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
If you haven't already done so, it would be a good idea to go to the Workhorse site and register as the current owner so WH will know where to send any possible recalls or other info.
You should also go to the Winnebago WEB site and register as the current owner of the motor home.

Winnebago Second Owner Registration
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
Hi Don, if kstrail's 38R is built on the W24 chassis no brake preventive measures will be needed.

-Tom
in cold Crystal River, FL until mid-April
Tom;
Thanks for the reminder. I assumed and perhaps incorrectly that his Adventure was on a W22 like mine is. I still believe brake fluid should be changed every 2 years. I wish I had a W24. I am always close to gross with just necessities.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
You should also go to the Winnebago WEB site and register as the current owner of the motor home.

Winnebago Second Owner Registration
Good point - I forgot about that one.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I suggest that you look into the Ultrapower as well. I have a 2004 Adventurer 37B which is 38 feet long (37' 12") according to the Winnie brochure. With Ultrapower and the 8.1 I can pass many diesel's going up grades without screaming the engine. For a gas rig, it is great. The 8.1 is the closest thing to a diesel you can get. Don't be afraid to let it wind going downhill, either. Let it run up to about 4000 rpm.
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:57 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and recommendations.
I forgot to say that I have the W22 chassis, I wish I did have the W24. I will have to watch the weight close. Have not yet had the time to get the unit to the weight scales and see where I am on weight.
Thanks for the idea of the ultrapower up grade and your experience with that product.
I did register with workhorse as a new owner.
Thanks again.
kstrails is offline   Reply With Quote