Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-04-2023, 12:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Angry Leaking shower faucet

2014 winning mini. Just found the shower faucet leaking thru both connections at.nce the connectioaing out of both hot and cold water connections where the coupling connects.

Water leaks right thru the 90* fitting. Replaced the rubber compression gasket. Still leaking. The supply line is tubing not cpvc. The compression male is stuffed inside the tubing. I've checked best that I can And the 90* compression fitting appears to be fine.

Went to camping world and they have nothing
.Looking for advice. We can't hook up water with the leak

Thank u much

larry

Sorry having issues typing while using email and phone
lnee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 01:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sometimes we miss getting the info on which RV you have but in this case, it looks like it may not change on the different models. So we might do some guesswork?

Does it look like this meets what you have?
Click image for larger version

Name:	shower.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	185544

If this loooks correct, it shows that will be PEX tubing. And I think of it as having a crimp clamp at the fitting.
however the drawing doesn't show a clamp, so there is a question whether they just did not show the clamp or if they were working on the idea that Pex would not require a clamp??

I have not worked Pex enough to know as I find it not handy for the tools I have and the spaces I find to use it. But it is my impression that it should have a crimped clamp which puts it over into another tool and getting that tool into the space to work may not be good!

Some points to think over and possibly others with more Pex experience will have a different answer.

If you can post up more detail on which RV model you have it may lead to better/ more correct drawings? Sometimes looking at how to get access can help get far better answers.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 01:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank u Richard. My post got all messed up.

It's a winning vista 3014.

Tubing, (not Pex) fits into a compression 90* female/female pPVC fitting. One end connects to the tubing which has a bulb shaped fitting whose end is shoved into the supply tube. Other end has a rubber grommet type fitting. This connection screws onto the shower connection

Water squirts out the faucet compression end. Changed the rubber gromet w/o success

Parts guy at Camping world had nothing to help me. The 90* screw fitting doesn't appear to be cracked anywhere
Old 04-04-2023, 02:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

This sounds like it might be a Flair-it part often used on RV but still somewhat strange!
Something like this perhaps?

https://www.nwrvsupply.com/product/f...ree-1-2-16816/

We force the tubing in on the end shown at left in this picture, tighten that fitting and then screw the right end on the male end of the faucet.

The problem is if this is the correct part, then the seal is made when the rubber gasket/grommet is forced tight enough against the faucet male end to seal.

If correct, I might think there are three items to look over. One is the new rubber may not be the correct size in some way, the faucet male end might have a crack(?) or the fitting needs to be tighter.
The last one is a hazard as there can be a fine line between tight enough to not leak and suddenly stripping the threads on the faucet. That last one is a bummer because it takes you into getting a new faucet as well as redoing both lines!
Plastic is not a very forgiving thing to workl with on these problems.
Old 04-04-2023, 04:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you Richard. I'll order today as this is all I can think w
I hope this will fix the problem

I did try plumbers tape at the faucet connection with negative results. As u can see I think I have tried everything
Old 04-04-2023, 04:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Yes, fully agree that they sometimes seem to just drive us crazy.

Small plumbing is not the fun thing in my life!
Old 04-05-2023, 01:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have seen people over-tighten the nuts on those fittings and crack the nut. They are meant to be hand-tight, but different people have different grips. Then there are those who insist on using pliers tighten them.

Today, I'd rather use a SharkBite fitting, but the end being cut exactly square is important.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 06:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Are you hooked to city water?

I know the other answers are more technical, and probably more in tune, but this is also something to check.

Are you hooked to city water in a campground? We had our valve that you turn to fill the tank, or run on the water from the faucet, etc., blow out because the city water was over 100 pds of pressure.

Yes, We had a flow restricter, but it just busted it too.
Joette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, shower