Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-06-2023, 01:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Need advice on upcoming B van purchase

Currently I am looking at two B vans.
Winnebago Solis Pocket, and the Thor scope / Rise 18M

The Thor has all these things that the Winny does not.
Bathroom with toilet and shower, microwave, generator, awning and a larger display screen. Bed is really uncomfortable and not much storage for a bed topper.

The Winny on the other hand has the much much better bed with tons of storage underneath and that really neat dinette.

It will be just me and I would like to do a road trip across the states.
And will try my best to keep my expenses down to a minimum.

Probably be traveling 200 miles or so per day, dont see myself staying in any one spot for more than a few days. So I guess that means I won't be doing much boondocking unless the spots are not to far off the beaten path.

The lack of generator on the winny means I will be staying at parks with hookup if I plan to travel in the summer (no gen = no ac).
And I dont think me showering behind my van in a park is a good idea so that means that I will need parks that have showers.

They way I see keeping my expenses down will be to get good gas mileage (both vans are on the Ram Promaster 1500, 17-20 MPG) and finding free or low cost RV parks when possible.

Both are similarly priced, but the features are stacking up for the Thor. And I do think the build quality on the thor was not great. The one at the dealer had a somewhat broken bed/couch.

I have seen people add a tankless hot water heater off the back of the pocket and that would be fun if boondocking, but nothing for the lack of A/C except advice to travel when its cooler out.

Anyway hope I was clear enough in my rambles and hopefully someone has also looked at both of these vans could chime in. Thanks for reading.
Slick Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 01:32 PM   #2
Living The Dream

I’d opt for the comfortable bed and better quality (Winnebago) and figure out how to carry or mount a generator.

Not sure what to think of a lack of bathroom!
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 01:37 PM   #3
aa1ssradio

The winnebago is better quality. It does not have a shower?? I would stay away fronm a Thor and maybe find a little bigger winnie with a shower and generator. I have not had good luck with any Thor I have owned . . . JUNK in my OPINION.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, purchase