Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-08-2023, 10:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Electrical problem with 2012 Journey 40U

We own a 2012 Journey 40U. We experience momentary voltage drops at random times when we are plugged into shore power. It does not happen if we are boondocking. The voltage drops do not disturb the air conditioning. The drops cause the TV to turn off and we have to turn it back on. Everything else such as the frigerator turn off and turn back on in a second. In the case of the refrigerator it makes a noise when it turns off and then back on. The vent over the stove stops for a second and goes back on. We have had several RV repairmen look at the problem but they do not have an answer as to ruinhe cause. While boondocking there is never a problem.
Phillip R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 01:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

That come and go so quickly makes it hard to sort but then a few questions may start in the right direction?
For the sorting, we need to get into whther it is a 110AC or a 12VDC problem---or both!
Maybe you know this but the frig may be either, so do you know for sure if it uses only 110 or only 12VDC?
Then the vent fan, that would seem to be only 12VDc working off the converter and batteries.
The TV is normally 110 but may be working thorough an inverter, so when it stops, looking at whether you are plugged or using inverter can be a clue. As you mention boondocking as no prtoblem, I would assume the problem with it would be the 110AC side.
Can we assume it has happens enough that you are sure it is not just a local or campground outage? Reason that comes to mind is that we are in a fast growing area here in Central Texas and electrical outages are common. It goes out for 10-20 minutes to an hour and possibly twice a month!
A little more thinking about when and what may be needed as first thought is a 110 AC problem but that would not be expected to fail the vent fan running on batteries at 12VDC, so something to check.
If it is only an AC problem and it can be ruled out as a campground or local problem that effects a number of others, I would look carefully at several of the small points on the RV.
Starting at the plug to shore power, is there any sign of arcing on the plug? If the plug is worn or hanging so that it tends to work loose in wind gusts, etc. there should be obvious signs of burning on the blades of the plug as it will arc as it loses and regains contact.
Next might be to leave the cord plugged and then wiggle the cord near the plug as a way to look for conductors nearly broken inside the insulation. Looking for something that may lose contact with a slight movement?

Same might be true at the point where the cord enters or connects at the RV. I see you have an automatic transfer switch. That "might" be a point to check for arcing but I lean away from that being a true cause that would repeat to disconnect and then reconnect. I tend to think of them as wires that get loose and die pretty quick due to arcing and long term until fixed!
But it might be worthwhile to take a look inside the box for luck and while there, tighten these screws as they do seem to be a semi common failure after some time. any smoked parts?
Be sure to disconnect from power first!!

This is more of a group of suggestions as come and go is often just finding a cause by organised luck as much as anything!

The question of whether the 12Volt is also failing can really throw it into a whole different area! A true 12Volt failure would seem likely to happen on boondocking as well, so things may be tricking you!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ats.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	185565

Good luck on finding something as you do seem to have a bad one to sort!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 02:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you

We appreciate your quick and lengthy reply to our problem. There are lots of things I can look at and will do so thanks to your suggestions. But first there are a couple of questions you asked that I can answer. It is only an AC problem. The frig and vent fan are AC only and not 12v. Nothing happens when we are on the inverter. Things are great when we boonedock. We thought that it was dirty AC power in the Florida panhandle but it has since occured in central Georgia also. The problem did not start until we got into the southern states. We did not have a problem in Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Missouri and Kentucky. However, there could be a loose wire, as you suggested, that came loose on our way to Florida. Anyway, I will be looking into your suggestions and hope to find the problem. Thanks again.
Old 04-08-2023, 03:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Okay, My misreading led to my confusion. I read it as not a frig vent fan but the other vents an RV often has.
So scrap that concern and it does make it less of a mystery!
Not that it solves the problem but at least it does nothing to expand the situation!
You "might" be able to spot any point of trouble on the cord by looking at it carefully. When electric goes bad and then good while we are using it, we would expect it to arc.
so if there is an arc, we get real heat and if it is inside the cord insulation, we might expect to see some type of damage like bubbles, etc at some point along the cord.
I first think of this breakdown as being at the plug but they can take some abuse over the years, so maybe somebody stepped on it just right to push a rock into it.

Gremlins come in all sizes and shapes!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 06:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Does that problem arise when on 120VAC generator power? If it does not, I suspect your main transfer switch has a loose connection or bad contacts. If it does, it might be the transfer switch in the inverter.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 05:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you Ray. The problem does not arise when the generator is on. It is logical that it be in a transfer switch, and I appreciate your help.

Phil
Old 04-13-2023, 04:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip R View Post
We own a 2012 Journey 40U. We experience momentary voltage drops at random times when we are plugged into shore power. It does not happen if we are boondocking. The voltage drops do not disturb the air conditioning. The drops cause the TV to turn off and we have to turn it back on. Everything else such as the frigerator turn off and turn back on in a second. In the case of the refrigerator it makes a noise when it turns off and then back on. The vent over the stove stops for a second and goes back on. We have had several RV repairmen look at the problem but they do not have an answer as to ruinhe cause. While boondocking there is never a problem.
Phillip, I gave a quick read of the replies. I didn't see any mention of the inverter. We have our inverter ON all the time. The TV and refrigerator are powered through the inverter sub-panel. If your inverter is not on you are using the internal ATS of the inverter to put the shore power to the sub-panel.

Try turning on the inverter.

What condition are your house batteries? Do you understand the relationship between the inverter and the batteries?
I'm following this thread. I want to know what is causing your problem.

Rick
Old 04-13-2023, 05:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Get a logging voltmeter that is fast enough to record the event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip R View Post
How often and how long are the events.

Residential refrigerator?

1. Only shore power. Always the same shore power or different shore power. If the same I'd suspect the shore power.

2. Vent over the stove, is it in a microwave? Does the microwave clock or microwave itself get reset? Is the microwave on the inverter sub panel?

3.A second? like a real second or just a kind of short time that could be a lot less than a second?

4. Doesn't effect the air conditioner. Are you sure. Could it be that the compress stumbles or even shut off but the blower is still running?

The generator test is a good one assuming this happens predictably enough that you could run the generator for a reasonable amount of time and know that it didn't happen. If this only happens once a day the generator test is going to be hard to conduct.

You will have to see where the power is interrupted. In order to do that you will have to either be looking at the voltage when it happens or use a recording voltmeter that is fast enough to catch the event. For example. Connect the voltmeter to the power post and wait for an event. No voltage drop at the power post during the event, the problem is not there. Move to the transfer swatch, repeat until you find a problem. A better strategy is to work from the middle. Log the voltage in the distribution panel perhaps on the main bus. No voltage drop, move to a circuit that has the drop. Voltage drop on the main bus. Check the connections retest as necessary or move to the next component, probably the transfer switch.

This voltmeter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

will record voltage every 30 seconds and because it is blue tooth you can hook it up and record the voltage on your phone. When an event happens you don't have to be looking at the meter to see if voltage dropped where you were testing. It will have been recorded. One cavoite. It is not fast. A drop of less than .5 seconds might not get caught to be safe you really need a 1 second or greater drop for this to reliably catch it.

If you are certain it doesn't happen when you are on the inverter then don't do any of the tests on inverter circuits. The inverter could switch on fast enough to mask the problem.

Please keep us posted. Learning how problems like this gets solved are good lessons
Old 04-13-2023, 05:12 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Not recommending that voltmeter. BTW

I have that voltmeter. It works. It will log for probably 24 hours on a single 9v battery but it isn't a very good voltmeter. I haven't found one that looks better for less than $500 yet.

Tags
electrical, journey