Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-17-2021, 06:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Meridian 34H Exterior Shower Faucet Replacement

This could just be a tale of inadequate hand strength, dexterity, big hands and cramped quarters, but it is defeating.

After removing the readily removable access covers, I went to remove the exterior shower faucet. After 2 plus hours of messing around, I was unsuccessful.

The nuts holding the faucet on have 2 flanges, instead of 4, and tapping the flanges with a screwdriver would not get a full rotation before I ran out of approaches I could direct the screwdriver to.

I was unsuccessful in getting at the flanges with arc joint pliers, mostly because of the plumbing above the faucet.

The front panel appears to be firmly attached (no screws) to a plywood/particle board where the outside edge is metal.

I figure there is some kind of tool that I can buy for $29.95 at a camping store and $4.95 somewhere else that would help grab the plastic flange nuts and help me turn them, but I am at a loss.

No wonder the prior owner let it be, and commented that he never really used the exterior shower.

Can someone who has been there and done that give me some hints?

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Well, I got the job done, and I did it twice. Matching up the hot knob with the hotline resulted in the mixed hose coming out the top which did not work, because it got in the way of a valve. So I took it apart and reassembled things the right way, except that the hot water is labeled cold and the cold water is labeled hot.

That probably won't matter to many people. What might matter is how I did the job. First of all I disassembled everything I could. I took pictures behind the panel so that I would know what I was dealing with. I ended up using latex gloves for better grip. To loosen fittings and to tighten the fittings I used a short pry bar with a curved tip, against the knurls or flanges in the fasteners. At times I needed to hit the pry bar handle with a hammer to loosen fittings.

Putting things back together I tightened with fingertip force, as best I could, and then looked for leaks. Not finding any leaks I tightened everything up another one quarter to half turn.

I also found working at a time of day when it was warmer, made things easier to get a part and put back together.

The new faucet works okay, but it's only about a quarter of a turn from full off to full on, and I am concerned that over time the knobs will vibrate loose going down the road. Next time I will probably try to buy a higher quality faucet fixture, if that time comes.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, shower