Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-15-2023, 06:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Decisions decisions, Murphy bed VS Standard

Thinking of a new 2108 Micro Minnie and trying to decide between the Murphy bed vs the solid mattress. The DS uses the Murphy and that makes the most sense as you have a seating position during the day but wonder about mattress comfort. I understand the stock mattress isn't very comfy so I would immediately replace it no matter what but if we get the Murphy style they say it should be designed for folding in a 6" thickness. What you say??
Audioi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 07:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We bought a 2108 DS last year, and our biggest issue by far was the uncomfortable Murphy bed mattress. We had a similar thought process - it would be nice to have seating during the day. After a couple of trips worth of back aches every morning, we decided the mattress had to go. We happened to have a spare queen mattress in the house and decided that we’d use it in the trailer and accept that we’d never use the sofa. Best choice we’ve ever made. Note - a full queen doesn’t quite fit, the width is fine but it’s a few inches too long. Doesn’t really affect our sleep, and at some point I might extend the bed platform out a bit. There are also other options you’ll find elsewhere in the forum, but they can be spendy. My advice - when you check out the trailer in person, try the supplied mattress and think hard about whether or not it’s something you can live with.
Old 08-15-2023, 08:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Death by a thousand cuts. That’s what it’s like sleeping on the split foam Murphy bed Matress. We bought the DS so we’d have a place to sit when we were at short stops where you can’t put out the slide. Sitting in the dinette with the slide in is verboten. If we had a do over, we would have bought the twin bed model, which gives you a place to sit and a better sleep. Our next purchase for our DS will be a hybrid that can be folded up to fit in the Murphy bed storage position.
Old 08-15-2023, 12:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We recently replaced our queen mattress in our Aspect. Decided on a Wilderness RV mattress. Great choice. A perfect fit!
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 04:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Beds are always a good place to think very carefully and know yourself!
We have had about every type RV and bed and one we now know is that we do not like to have a bed that has to be made up/taken down every day.
When we drive, we want to get there, set up with minimum effort, set down or lay down.
And that doesn't include making the bed from scratch, so no Murphy for us!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 04:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I understand! Our Ideal Rest mattress in the Aspect was not an "Ideal" rest with pumping up both sides. My hubby's side kept releasing the air. The new Wilderness RV mattress doesn't require anything but good RV sheets! Pull in to the RV park, hook up, eat, and rest! Our 4th RV but truly the best mattress on the market in my opinion!
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 05:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

There are several threads discussing the murphy bed mattress and upgrades. We went with the DS and upgraded to a hinged mattress. Details can be found on my post at this link https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3937831

There’s also a picture of the inside of the original mattress we replaced in my post. It’s not even made of foam. We tried it for a while with a 4” topper before we decided to upgrade. We just returned from a two week trip, and we only folded the bed up and used the couch about 5 days because we spent most of the time outside and out and about. We can leave the bed “made” when we fold it up but it does need some straightening when you fold it back down. We travel as recommended with it down so when we get to our destination at the end of the day we don’t usually fold it up. Having the couch as an option for us is a plus though for rainy days and when we camp with friends or family.
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 04:11 PM   #8
Micro Mini 2108TB

Keep in mind that a Murphy bed adds to the hitch weight. Not sure how much, but would guess about 30 lb.
Senecio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 06:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

I found that a standard Full size mattress fits just fine. It just took some looking to find one 6 inches high... but still a real mattress. We can still use the couch. When the Murphy bed is up, it does not go completely up but it is not in the way of sitting on the couch.
Niteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 09:27 AM   #10
Micro Minnie 2108DS

We recently traded our 2017 Winnie Drop 170S for a 2023 2108DS Micro Minnie. I had my doubts regarding the standard split mattress and they were confirmed on our maiden voyage "shake down". Three nights of misery for both of us. The stock mattress is a throw-away. After consulting this forum as well as others, we opted for a Tochta Journey custom built split unit at 8" deep, 54" wide and 75" long, hinged at 33" from the head. It wasn't cheap, but is worth every penny. Small investment when considering the alternative. Side note, one benefit we hadn't counted on was that the split really helps when making the bed. Just fold it up vertical and tuck in your fitted sheet and other bedding and let it fall, and pull the rest down to the foot. To raise the bed, we reach back and fold the top of mattress towards the foot, utilizing the strap we secure both in the folded position, and then raise the entire platform into the stowed position. No issues whatsoever.
DEWEY is offline   Reply With Quote