Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-20-2023, 05:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Vista 29V Towing Jeep Wrangler Unlimited?

Hello, my family and I are considering upgrading from a 25 foot class C to the Vista 29v or 31B, we currently tow a wrangler unlimited (curb wt 4400lbs). Just wondering if anyone has any experience towing with either of these units and how their experience is?

We will primarily be towing in the western US and in the Sierra and Rocky Mountains so experience with mountain towing a plus!
TIA!
NSDQ739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 05:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Our last RV was a 2015 Vista 31 KE, so about the same size, same engine, etc. I would think?
We have never lived in the "real" mountains but driven through East-West 8-10 trips.
We find the main difference in towing is that we do have to expect less!
Going back down was always less fun for me than going up! Going up, I always had enough power but never went up without losing lots of speed but that was often okay as high speed on curves is not my fun way to travel!

Coming down it was important to learn all we could about how to deal with the tow/haul mode and getting it down shifted at the best times to avoid using the brakes much. Long straight downhills were not too bad but those which bothered me most were those that had sudden up/down changes combined with curves as I found it difficult to predict when I should be beginning to let it roll to get up the next hill versus needing to down shift for the corner that was just out of sight!
We towed several different cars at times and the towing was not a noticable problem as the added weight was not all that much difference.
Learning the methods to control the speed to what WE wanted versus what the rest of the traffic might want was a bit of education!
Sometimes the folks behind that want to be ahead should have just started sooner!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 07:00 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

We had a ‘17 31BE which had the V10 and towed our JKU from Denver to California many, many times. Take it easy, don’t try to win any races and use the tow/haul mode to help keep your speed down and you should be fine.
Old 08-21-2023, 09:04 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have both a 29ve and Wrangler Unlimited but closer to 5k pounds.

No problems, I don't win any races, but not trying to. I've towed from SoCal to Oregon without any trouble. I know I was at the limits of both the RV and the Jeep as I found a weigh station in Oregon and was happy that I was just under limits, but it was a 2-week trip, so fully loaded. I often go over the hills here from the coast to the desert during the winter; again, no problems.

All that said, no problem; use Tow/Haul for going down hills, and while you'll still need to tap the brakes, nothing overwhelming.

I think you'll love the combo—any?'s PM me.
Old 08-22-2023, 02:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We've a 2021 WBGO Adventurer 29B similar to what you're looking at. It has the 7.3 V8. We tow a 3,700 lb. Chevy Equinox. All loaded up for travel, we are within 100 lb. of the maximum GVRW for the WBGO, 18,000 lbs. We've towed through Nevada, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona in the west. We've also towed through most of the Appalachian Mountain states from south to north and back again. More than 24,000 miles so far.

Overall, I'd say that, with the 7.3 V8, you'll be fine. Just don't expect the same kind of pull as a diesel going up mountains. Always keep it in tow/haul mode. Going up hills, the engine will drop down gears to try and keep speed up, but this can also cause the engine to run at 4,500 RPM for extended periods and all of the cooling fans will kick in. Sounds like a jet taking off then! Learn how to tap the brakes to drop down a gear, or learn how to shift it manually. This is useful in going down the mountains. Slow and steady going up or down is always best.

Tags
towing, tow