Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-21-2022, 12:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Carpet glue removal - solvent

I am trying to remove carpet glue on my steel deck and and glue residue off of the plywood from the original peel and stick vinyl flooring. Anyone come across a good solvent for glue removal? This is nasty stuff.
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 02:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I"ve never had to remove floor glue, but the internet is full of methods. I like the dry ice and floor scraper method.

IMO using a solvent will be quite messy and odoriferous. Every solvent method mentioned requires protective gear and lots of rags.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 05:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, As you saw in my other post I was able to use a scraper to get off the majority of it. Dry Ice was going to be my next step if the scraper did not get it done.
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 05:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

On my 2004 Journey, I got rid of the original carpet glue and vinyl tile adhesive with "GooGone" We had a small bottle in the house, which established that it worked. Then I got 3 bottles (16 or 20 oz?) from HD. Used two of them to do the whole RV.

It was still a bit tacky.

I put plastic sheeting down for a vapor barrier, before laying vinyl flooring. In my case (up north) I got appropriately rated flooring. They said it had more cement in it. It still looks gorgeous after 2.5 years.

I did not try dry ice, as I would have used LN2. If I had a Dewar of liquid nitrogen, I would never had done the floor, because I would have been making and eating ice cream.
Old 12-29-2022, 04:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftodaro View Post
I am trying to remove carpet glue on my steel deck and and glue residue off of the plywood from the original peel and stick vinyl flooring. Anyone come across a good solvent for glue removal? This is nasty stuff.
I used a round wire brush on my drill. It was ugly but it cleaned it up pretty good.
dale57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal, vent