Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2018, 12:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

RV Insurance suggestions

Hi all. Time to renew our RV insurance and was wondering if anyone would suggest I not get Good Sam, which is the cheapest I've seen between Geico, Progressive and Good Sam. Just need regular DMV type insurance...already have roadside assistance and extended equipment insurance. Other companies you like?? Thanks, Dave
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
we've been using State Farm for all of our vehicles since 1970. that should tell you something.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:35 PM   #3
Site Team

I have no experience with Good Sam for insurance - but because of how they run everything else I'd be hesitant to call them for the product. I'm a FMCA member and they have an insurance service - actually an insurance sales office - and they get you quotes from various companies at discount.

I've used them for the past 4 years and always gotten great service and pricing from them. My current WBGO - through FMCA Insurance - is with Progressive. Good pricing and I just had a small incident with a post in a parking lot and their claims service has been terrific.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

State Farm. We have three cars, home, and umbrella liability. My 2002 Sightseer only added about $100yr. I see some of those other 'dedicated' companies and think about the commercials you see on TV where it is not an actual insurance company but rather a lead-generator and/or sales agency.

Jim

I feel the Umbrella is very important. Any accident or personal claim could exceed your stated limits. Any opposition lawyer likely can quickly calculate your assets ...and his take.
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:04 AM   #5
Site Team

My house, car, motorcycle and life policies are all through State Farm.

I have the RV through Progressive as they were the cheapest when I was searching for a renewal (by about $500 over SF). We're in Florida where it really does matter who you choose when it comes to prices. I received about 6 quotes ranging from about $600 a year up to $2400 a year.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
Hi all. Time to renew our RV insurance and was wondering if anyone would suggest I not get Good Sam, which is the cheapest I've seen between Geico, Progressive and Good Sam. Just need regular DMV type insurance...already have roadside assistance and extended equipment insurance. Other companies you like?? Thanks, Dave
I have no experience with Good Sam for insurance, but I'd suggest calling them to see who the actual insurer is. I'm pretty sure that GS is just the "broker" for a regular insurance company, so if it's a reputable company at a good price then why not? I'm all about getting the best price on insurance.

We carry Allstate, mostly because we have other vehicles and our homeowner's with them.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I would go to your auto policy and have them price it out as you will get a discount. I have Nationwide. I have a 2m umbrella for liability and Uninsured motorist. I have road side assistance and loss of use. I am not sure if I am saving anything but I cannot get the benefit of the umbrella unless the underlying policy is with Nationwide. I am more concerned about good coverage over good price.
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

State Farm for us too. Been with them since early '70s. In fact State Farm Bank helped finance our Minnie Winnie purchase. All rates are very competitive.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I went thru Winnebago....havent used them yet
Hendo6771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:23 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

I have Nationwide that I bought thru Farm & City Insurance in Forest City, Iowa. I have had them for 10+ yrs and no complaint. For my cars, I have USAAbut when I wantedRV insurance, they were not offering it. They sent me to Progressive which I found to be too pricey.
Seahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:39 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Farmers Ins

I am in St Louis. We have everything through Farmers. Maybe worth a look.
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:59 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I have been with State Farm since the late 50ies, and will stay with them till I don't need insurance. Go with what works with you? gpscotty
gpScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:13 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Vehicle Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
Every year, when it comes time to renew insurance on my RV, I shop all the companies/brokers who offer RV insurance for the best quotes. State Farm insured my home and cars for more than 40 years but they were never competitive with their rate quotes to cover my Itasca Sunova 33C.

Once I sold our house in NJ and hit the road fulltime, State Farm would no longer insure our cars at competitive rates. Our first year full-timing it we insured through FMCA, but the second and third year, we insured both of our cars and our motorhome through Good Sam because they offered better rates. If you have a Good Sam VISA rewards card and pay your insurance premium with that card you'll earn triple reward points. Those reward points can be used to buy Good Sam Roadside Assistance.

My experience with Good Sam Insurance has been satisfactory. Adding or dropping coverage is an easy phone call. All of their documents are produced on-line which is ideal for us full-timers. All of my interactions with the insurance company representatives have been professional and courteous. I hope this is helpful.
lewisedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:56 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Smile My Husband Had State Farm when we married

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
we've been using State Farm for all of our vehicles since 1970. that should tell you something.
and I had Geico and I was paying half of what he paid on car insurance. Each Year his State Farm went up and his late wife just paid the bill and never got another quote. When I saved Half insuring his car and house he took notice. I am a retired Accountant so I really watch those pennies. Never just renew. He had been with them 26 years. Boy that Agent got really upset at me and told me were to go even when I told him we were changing. He even called my Husband to complain about it before he called me at the house to tell me off.
tpoipu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:03 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Thirteen years with Progressive. Never had a claim. After a few years they lower your deductible to $0 if you have no claims. You can then raise your deductible to $5000 and get a much lower premium. If you have a claim, the $0 deductible applies to the claim bit them reverts back to your paid deductible....so if you have a claim decrease the deductible to a comfortable level for a few years.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:17 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

ok I have sf on my three cars rates ok? but motorhome never going to happen they are nuts I'm a vet so tried USA and they sent me to progressive and as a vet great rate also window coverage total about $600.00ask them for a quote
htbotdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:06 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo6771 View Post
I went thru Winnebago....havent used them yet
We had progressive through FMCA but haven't had to use them. This year e got Progressive through Winnebago and it was $400 cheaper.
mcirv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:52 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I too had State Farm (for over 30 years). Then I had a claim. I will NEVER have State Farm again. Their claims people can't even pronounce Chevrolet. I have never dealt with a more incompetent, uncaring, deceptive and antagonistic group of people.
RandyMWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:10 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

My wife has worked at several different insurance companies of various types and simply shops for the best bargain at the time as she knows how many of them operate. The thinking is that they will give a good rate at the start but as you stay the rate will move up and it becomes quite high when compared to others. Very much like the electrical rates in the states where it is now deregulated. Great rates to start and then they assume you will stay for the sucker rates.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:54 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
My wife has worked at several different insurance companies of various types and simply shops for the best bargain at the time as she knows how many of them operate. The thinking is that they will give a good rate at the start but as you stay the rate will move up and it becomes quite high when compared to others....
well, I guess we're fortunate. we've had State Farm on all of our vehicles including our motorhomes since we were married in 1970. when we bought our home we went with state farm. we also have a liability umbrella with state farm.

I have records of my premiums dating back to 2000. between 2000 and 2015 when we traded our 2000 Suncruiser our insurance premium dropped each year from a high of $713 p/y to $411 p/y. the initial premium on our 2016 Suncruiser was$1263.85. our current premium...same level of coverage...is $1191.98. no doubt having all of our insurance with SF helps but in this case anyway loyalty pays off.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote