Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-08-2024, 05:07 PM   #1
V29
Winnebago Camper

Are There New Ford 7.3L V8 Problems?

I was getting a Tx flush at my Ford dealer on my F53 6.8L V10 and he mentioned in our conversations that the new V8 is having problems - If I recall he said problems with the cam shaft. Has anyone here heard or experienced anything with their V8?
V29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 11:33 PM   #2
Site Team

I found this forum discussion on the topic:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/lift...la-604599.html
If their is an error in the alloy or construction causing the spalling, there isn't much that can be done short of replacing the defective parts. As 5W-30 is the recommended oil, I would up it to 0W-40 for an added margin of protection. This will not eliminate the problem, but it might stave it off for an extra 10,000 miles.
Eagle5
Old 02-09-2024, 01:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
If their is an error in the alloy or construction causing the spalling, there isn't much that can be done short of replacing the defective parts. As 5W-30 is the recommended oil, I would up it to 0W-40 for an added margin of protection. This will not eliminate the problem, but it might stave it off for an extra 10,000 miles.
Eagle5
Quote:
Originally Posted by V29 View Post
I was getting a Tx flush at my Ford dealer on my F53 6.8L V10 and he mentioned in our conversations that the new V8 is having problems - If I recall he said problems with the cam shaft. Has anyone here heard or experienced anything with their V8?
Nice posts. I am currently shopping for a new (3/4 ton) TV. The SD I built on Ford's site included that engine. Now, the smaller V8 or a different brand is more of a possibility.
Old 02-09-2024, 04:50 AM   #4
V29
Winnebago Camper

Well that makes my decision to keep my existing POS easier - I will now. 'can't have an engine that is unreliable on the road. The ref issue seems minor compared to this!
Old 02-09-2024, 07:37 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Wait… you buried the lede. You found a Ford dealer that will work on your F53 motorhome? Now THAT is news.

As to the cam/follower “news” it seems the jury is out on how common or concerning this issue is. Yes?
Old 02-09-2024, 08:18 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

If anyone in central PA needs a Ford dealer to work on their rig, here is one...even has a motorhome bay and lift.

Palmyra Ford Dealer in Palmyra PA | Campbelltown Palmdale Hershey Ford Dealership Pennsylvania
https://www.maguireshershey.com/
Old 02-09-2024, 09:28 AM   #7
V29
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Wait… you buried the lede. You found a Ford dealer that will work on your F53 motorhome? Now THAT is news.

As to the cam/follower “news” it seems the jury is out on how common or concerning this issue is. Yes?
A) Website that shows Ford Dealers able to work on RVs (Google to find). BTW, my Ford Dealer replace my Temp Sender that I only discovered post warranty (3/36) was defective from day 1! It involved an extensive top of the engine removal (intake manifold, ...) due to location.
Old 02-14-2024, 04:05 PM   #8
Adventurer 30T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Eagle5
If under Ford Warranty I certainly would not change from Ford recommendation oil.
Pjkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 05:04 PM   #9
ACB
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I have the 7.3 in my 2022 Vista. Engine manufactured in 2021. I also have some concerns with this engine, although it performs much better than the V10’s I had.
After purchase I read the 2020 year engines had some issues. The construction company I worked for had a very good relationship with the large Ford truck dealer in our city so I spoke to their service manager. Our company had a fleet of work trucks.
He stated Ford DID have higher failure with the first year run but considering they started now using that engine in their performance model trucks, he feels they worked it out. “But… you never know”.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed. I truly like the performance over the V10’s I’ve owned but only time will tell.
ACB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 12:13 PM   #10
Ronzo

Ford Dealers who work on RVs

Hey all...it took me some time to locate a Ford Dealer in the San Diego, Ca area, but I did. El Cajon Ford recently purchased Rick's RV (of which I already was a customer) and now can work on ANY RV out there....and I might add, they know their s**t !
Old 02-15-2024, 12:33 PM   #11
ACB
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzo View Post
Hey all...it took me some time to locate a Ford Dealer in the San Diego, Ca area, but I did. El Cajon Ford recently purchased Rick's RV (of which I already was a customer) and now can work on ANY RV out there....and I might add, they know their s**t !
If you are in Arizona Sanderson Ford in the Phoenix area works on all Ford trucks. They know what they are doing but appointments are weeks out. I’ve used them for 30 years
ACB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, ems, problems