Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2005, 01:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Howdy again!

After being a very polite 'pain in the rear', we got into the chassis shop and had two techs working on it at one PM today.

The two issues which concerned us was the shimmy/vibration in the wheel at highway speed while making steering inputs and the check engine light coming on and going off.

I believe we have made good progress on both issues. The wheel shimmy according to the chassis techs is a unique problem to the Freightliner ZFS (independent front suspension). The wheel runout needed to be adjusted. In other words, the wheel was not centered on the hub exactly and was rotating in an eccentric pattern. The techs semed to understand exactly what the symptoms were and what the fix needed to be - they have been through this before. They took the coach on a test drive after remounting the wheels and proclaimed that "it drove like a dream."

The check engine light turned out to be a "water in the fuel filter" code. Actually what we probably have here is that there was A) either a bad fuel filter water sensor, or B) a problem in the fuel filter sensor wiring. One could argue that the fuel filter sensor (built-in to the fuel filter) was reacting to trash or water in the fuel tank, but only time will tell. I find it hard to believe that we really had water in the fuel.

We took the driving course here at Lazydays yesterday (arranged for a private driving lesson) and I with the help of the great co-pilot, backed the coach back into the spot the first time after returning from the service bays! Too cool!

-John (happy as a clam in sand)

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 01:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Howdy again!

After being a very polite 'pain in the rear', we got into the chassis shop and had two techs working on it at one PM today.

The two issues which concerned us was the shimmy/vibration in the wheel at highway speed while making steering inputs and the check engine light coming on and going off.

I believe we have made good progress on both issues. The wheel shimmy according to the chassis techs is a unique problem to the Freightliner ZFS (independent front suspension). The wheel runout needed to be adjusted. In other words, the wheel was not centered on the hub exactly and was rotating in an eccentric pattern. The techs semed to understand exactly what the symptoms were and what the fix needed to be - they have been through this before. They took the coach on a test drive after remounting the wheels and proclaimed that "it drove like a dream."

The check engine light turned out to be a "water in the fuel filter" code. Actually what we probably have here is that there was A) either a bad fuel filter water sensor, or B) a problem in the fuel filter sensor wiring. One could argue that the fuel filter sensor (built-in to the fuel filter) was reacting to trash or water in the fuel tank, but only time will tell. I find it hard to believe that we really had water in the fuel.

We took the driving course here at Lazydays yesterday (arranged for a private driving lesson) and I with the help of the great co-pilot, backed the coach back into the spot the first time after returning from the service bays! Too cool!

-John (happy as a clam in sand)

Old 05-28-2005, 02:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

John:

Sounds like you are making good progress and the problems are not real 'dogs' to fix. I remember how excited we were when we went to Illinois to get our coach...how much fun we had on the road on the return trip. We felt like kids with a new toy...hope you guys get all the bugs worked out soon and can hit the road.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 04:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

John,
What you've described is not new. No quality control on the Winnebago shuttle drivers. When we picked up our new 03 Adventurer from Lazydays the drivers rear view mirror was broken and the shimmy at 55 knocked my bridge loose. When I asked if there was a log from the driver that brought the coach down from Iowa I got a look that said I was stupid. Bad quality control at Winnebago and Lazydays at the onset. They get better, but don't let them buffalo you.
airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 04:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

John,

I may have mentioned this before. I had the same shimmy on my 2005 Horizon. I took it to Freightliner and they rebalanced the front tires. I still had the shimmy until I took it to a Michelin truck tire dealer and let them balance the tires. No shimmy now.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 05:47 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

yep, water in the fuel is very possible. You get it when you fill up, happened to our friends when we were taking them on their maiden vouage to the state of Maine. They had to be towed to a service garage, pumped out the bad fuel- water! at a cost of more than the fuel itself, then filled back up with a ton of dry gas put in for the next 5 fill ups. We fueled up at the pump next to them and fortunatly had no troubles. 8 months later and they finally received their settlement check.They never left the fuel pump, that was a break for them, and their proof that they filled up with water.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

The problem turned out to be an intermittant connector to the fuel filter sensor - I reported on that in another post. Cummins actually fixed a Freightliner problem.

The shimmy in the steering was completely eliminated after they adjusted the wheel runout. The coach does drive like a dream nor

--John

Old 07-01-2005, 06:20 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

John: What is wheel runout?

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 05:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

On the IFS chassis, the wheel (and tire of course) can be mounted on the hub to where it is a bit eccentric, or off center. The tech at Lazydays said this is a European system where the wheel intitally hangs on 'clips' prior to bolting/screwing it to the hub. It is not like an auto tire where the nuts are cone shaped and as they are tightned the wheel is automatically centered.

They have a gauge which is a stand with a verticle arm that adjusts to the approximate height of the wheel. Attached to the verticle arm or post is a horizontal arm that they place against the wheel rim. The tire is rotated and they adjust the position of the tire/wheel on the hub until there is little/no variance on the gauge arm when the tire/wheel is rotated.

--John