Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-12-2024, 08:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Moisture damage on inside back wall

I have a 2019 Winnebago Vista 29 VE. I have found moisture damage on the inside back wall. Never found any wetness, mold, sponginess or the source. It seems to be a one time thing. The paneling and vinyl are rippled. Found this after the two hurricanes that came through Florida last year. I am having push back trying to sell or trade. Any suggestions or recommendations on who might be able to repair this? What type of company or person.
Photo to follow if I can get it to post.
just curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 08:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I find this to often be a case of missing doing a good reseal of the lights on the back.
On my Vista the water was getting in at the taillight and then following the wire through the exterior layer and foam before wetting down the inner wall, where it bubbled and rotted a good part of the wood down to the floor.
I was lucky enough to find it before buying and got a good discount on it due to the damage. I bought it with the damage but also a plan for repair!
In my case the damage was in the rear wall of a compartment. That made repair easier as we did not have to match wall covering, etc, but just covered it with thin metal flashing which was fine as the flashing acted to protect the compartment wall in most people's inspection!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 11:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

The taillight assemblies are mounted near the bottom of the slide room level,at what level is the moisture damage? If it's up high, the water has to be coming from the window or roof to rear wall joint. I would suspect the window mounting seal.
The surest method of locating water intrusion sources is to locate an RV service center that has and knows how to use a Seal Tech leak detection system.

I have complete confidence in this leak detection system, I bought a new 2005 5er and the first time out noticed a water drip at a rear window. The selling dealer used the SealTech system and the tech found the source of water intrusion over 20' from that window. The tech proceeded and found 3 more tiny undetected leaks and resealed them too.
I think this cost $300 at the time, but the dealer covered the costs.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 11:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I am pretty well versed on where leaks originate from as my last RV had plenty of them from the start. I don't want to give you the name of the manufacturer, but their initials are T.H.O.R. I was successful in plugging all the leaks and a lot of other problems.
What I am looking for is the type of person of company that can replace a small section (8" X 16") of the paneling that is rippled.The wall colors will have to match the existing paneling. I am sure the leak came from hurricane rain pushed by 80 mph winds for eight hours. The area is solid and no rot or discoloration. I have a photo but I can not get uploaded on this site for some reason.
just curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 01:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by just curious View Post
I am pretty well versed on where leaks originate from as my last RV had plenty of them from the start. I don't want to give you the name of the manufacturer, but their initials are T.H.O.R. I was successful in plugging all the leaks and a lot of other problems.
What I am looking for is the type of person of company that can replace a small section (8" X 16") of the paneling that is rippled.The wall colors will have to match the existing paneling. I am sure the leak came from hurricane rain pushed by 80 mph winds for eight hours. The area is solid and no rot or discoloration. I have a photo but I can not get uploaded on this site for some reason.
The problem with removing and patching is that the new will not have faded and will rarely match the existing.
That can leave the question of how much we want it to match versus other options to consider.
I know of nobody or group that I would say is a safe bet for this. The normal handyman may do alright but it takes one with the right attitude and finding one who is willing to go into a job he may have never done before!

One way that I have done some of this is not likely to match the other walls but I have gone with just adding a whole new layer over the old. It avoids the removal and can be much quicker. The appearance can be okay as we often find walls that are totally different in rooms, so it doesn't jump out as much to folks looking at it later.

But it does take somebody who cares enough to figure out what and how to do it. The only qualified person we have found, is ME!

And by the time I was finished, I NEVER wanted to do it again as it was too fussy!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote