Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-17-2024, 10:23 AM   #1
Taz
Living the dream

Another Catalytic Converter Question?

Hi all,

Yup, another cat victim. I went out to fire up the beast yesterday and to my surprise the noise was very loud. Took a look underneath and no cat to be seen.

I know there has been numerous posts on this topic but for some reason I cannot find the threads.

So my questions are for anyone who has a 2008 F53 6.8 V 10 that has had their cat stolen. I do not want to replace the cat due to the expense and knowing darn well it will be stolen again. So my questions are:

1) Any issues running straight pipe?
2) Will the missing O2 sensor cause any problems performance?
3) Is there a work around for the missing O2 sensor so it doesn't set off any error codes?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-17-2024, 02:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

O2 sensor is critical in that it provides air fuel mixture feedback to ECM governing fuel injection..
If you are required to have emissions testing it will fail, O2 voltage is also a parameter technicians use to diagnose engine performance..
Old 03-17-2024, 07:01 PM   #3
Site Team

i've had two stolen and the first cost $2,700 while the second cost $4,000. Both covered by Progressive Insurance.

I didn't do an extensive search, but the 3-places I called the second time when it was going to take 3-months to get an OEM converter told me, not so nicely, to get... er, lost. They said their license to operate was worth more than any possible price I'd agree to pay for a temporary pipe to be installed.

So, you need to find a back woods fly-by-night place if that's what you want to do.
Old 03-18-2024, 01:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

You're going to have to replace the CAT eventually due to what most states probably require in terms of smog tests/inspections, etc. Here in CA, which is probably the most restrictive, you can't even sell a vehicle as-is if it doesn't have it's CAT(s). Here's a site detailing requirements by state:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...-laws-by-state

If you want straight pipes for temporary use while you sort things out, why not install something yourself. There's flexible piping available as long as you can find the right diameter:

https://www.google.com/search?q=flex...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Keep in mind that you're risking a fine if you're caught driving without the CAT:

https://www.carparts.com/blog/can-yo...0being%20fined.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 08:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I'd go buy flexible tail-pipe of the right diameter to replace the CAT and ignore codes., clamp it in until your insurance replaces it; since it's a temporary measure until a new one is available you should not encounter any hassles
Just keep something in your wallet to show a LEO if you get stopped that your insurance co. is working on getting it replaced.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 03:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Then just as a part of the back story? If you have kids and their house burns down in wildfires, perhaps you can explain to them that you did not care enough to bother to try to prevent it?
I'm sure lots of the folks up in the North end of Texas are currently wishing the last generation had cared a lot more!
Does BC ever have that problem?

Short story is it is not cheaper to avoid doing the legal thing. It may just take longer to find out how much more it will cost you.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 09:03 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Amen brother Richard! Doing the right thing is never wrong...
Old 03-22-2024, 12:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Would millage increase by removing the cat?
JBorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 05:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBorst View Post
IMO, no.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 12:23 AM   #10
1996 Itasca 29Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBorst View Post
The post-cat sensors are for monitoring the cat and don't affect the mileage! You can run without it but the check engine light will be on unless it is tuned out!
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 02:22 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Then just as a part of the back story? If you have kids and their house burns down in wildfires, perhaps you can explain to them that you did not care enough to bother to try to prevent it?
I'm sure lots of the folks up in the North end of Texas are currently wishing the last generation had cared a lot more!
Does BC ever have that problem?
?????????

Tags
cat, converter