Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-27-2024, 10:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

1994 Brave Brakes require excessive pressure

I have owned a 1994 Winnebago Brave 23RC since 2016 and it has been a very reliable rig but now a question on the brakes. I have replaced the front and rear break discs / shoes, and the master cylinder, but it still takes what I would consider excessive pressure on the brake pedal to stop. I was told by an experienced older RV owner that this should not be the case, it should stop like a similar year van. I know "excessive" pressure is subjective but I am told that it may be the power steering pump and/or the hydro-booster at fault Before I sink a lot more $$ into this I was hoping to get some general feedback on this. Thanks! Mark, Olympia, WA.
dukealumni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 11:00 AM   #2
Site Team

Newer F53 chassis gas motor homes were fitted OEM with electro-hydraulic brake boosters. Is that a possible retrofit for your 30-year old Brave? Or maybe you have the older hydroboost system that use the power steering pump for brake assist.

I'm sure you're aware of the https://www.classicwinnebagos.com forum. You might try looking there. We have a few pre-2000 Brave owners (and they are plenty brave) but not a lot to handle your questions. That doesn't mean someone will not come right after me with a bunch of suggestions. Just giving you a heads up.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Not meaning to run you off but there are two different groups to get info as the RV is built on a stripped chassis. So the questions about the chassis like brakes will not get the best answers from the RV side of things.
I would suggest this is far more likely to get good info from folks who deal with the chassis your RV is built on.
If it is built on a Ford F53 chassis, I would look to truck folks for the best answers for brake problems.
From old Ford experience, I would assume it to be a master cylinder or power brake problem as it should not be hard to brake if those are working right.

One way to get closer to DIY info at low cost, so that you are better prepped to deal with shops, is to do a check of auto parts stores or library, to get a manual for your chassis. New info is often hard to come by but as vehicles get older, the builders like Ford tend to let the info out to the public more and we can sometimes pick up some good info in those manuals.
Chilton's used to be a goto for that info but that is very old info from back in history!
Maybe some calls to local auto parts shops to ask if they have manuals would be a quick way to start the search?
But then the second point is experience with fixing brakes as I consider them one of the really, important things to get right!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 01:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Random, but really cheap idea?
This is something I came across in looking at what some might have! No idea if you even have this brake booster, so consider this worth what you paid for it!

https://www.wikihow.com/Test-a-Brake...20be%20failing.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 01:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

1994 brochure says the 23RC was only available on a Chevy chassis. That what you have?

The brake linkage is known to seize up on the Chevy chassis. Have you checked into that?

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 07:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

When last was the brake fluid system flushed and refilled with new fluid? The normal brake fluid replacement schedule is between 3-5 years for heavy=duty use; a MH is considered HD use.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brave, brakes, brake