Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2022, 01:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Another Catalytic Converter Theft

I visited my motorhome in the storage yard today only to find out that one of its two catalytic converters have been stolen. It's strange that they only stole one since they're both very visible and accessible. Fortunately they made nice, clean cuts.

I have no idea when it was stolen. The yard was hit back in April but they didn't hit mine then. It could have been anytime since then. Although I've been to the MH a few times, I haven't been inspecting it and only knew about it today since I had to pull it up a few feet.

Fortunately we don't have any trips scheduled but I did want to bring it home to work on it.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 07:06 PM   #2
Site Team

Good luck Bob, ours took 40 days to receive the backordered catalytic converter part from Ford. And, the parts price went up nearly 50% since my first one was stolen.
Old 08-27-2022, 07:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Good luck Bob, ours took 40 days to receive the backordered catalytic converter part from Ford. And, the parts price went up nearly 50% since my first one was stolen.
I'm glad we don't have a trip scheduled. I have a 2002 Workhorse chassis and have no idea of the availability.

I did run across an encouraging video on theft prevention although my converters are so exposed and accessible, I'm not sure how it would work. On the other hand, if it deters them from mine, there are scores of others in the lot to choose from.

Fortunately due to Progressive's "Disappearing Deductible" my current deductible is $0 but that's not going to last if I keep getting hit.

Old 09-03-2022, 02:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

You may always buy a catalytic converter "test pipe", install it and continue your planned trip. Who knows, you might forget it's installed and the new converter never gets installed.

If you want to install a new cst converter, check this out @ $215.in stock.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 03:43 PM   #5
Site Team

Around these parts I could find no shop that would install a "Test Pipe" and one I spoke to said - "You may be willing to pay a large fine for deleting the converter but we're not willing to be fined and closed down for doing that work."

The same was said about "universal" converters - no way they would touch that.

I'm sure I could find a shade tree mechanic with a welding rig that might do the job for cash, at midnight, when there is no moon. But real shops, with insurance and employees and a license said an emphatic NO. And one of the shops I called cussed me out, too.
Old 09-05-2022, 07:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Ya, the EPA has a huge fine for anyone who "modifies" the exhaust system for anything made after the mandate for catalytic converters. That is why it's called a test pipe, meant to be temporary to see if exhaust back-pressure is significantly reduced.
I suspect those muffler shops that decried your question have already been fined out of ignorance or deliberately eliminating a CAT permanently, and did not maintain records proving installing the test pipe was only temporary..

This now is entirely a DIY project. There are exhaust pipe expansion tools to enlarge the exhaust pipe so the test pipe will slide in just like installing a muffler with muffler clamps.
measure your CAT length and have a short section of tail pipe made to fit, with a bell on one end for tail pipe insertion.
If the muffler shop asks what the short pipe is for,you're building a dune buggy.

Ever hear a hot rod late model car on the streets with loud exhaust? That's one way their exhaust is modified.

OK, now the EPA's gonna read this and I'm on their list.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 06:48 PM   #7
1996 Itasca 29Q

You can put a straight pipe in to get you going, it will throw a check engine code but won't affect how it runs.
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 07:07 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobn1957 View Post
You can put a straight pipe in to get you going, it will throw a check engine code but won't affect how it runs.
Good luck finding a shop that will agree to do this. You can DIY it, but you’ll need a welder to connect up to the hacked off exhaust piping.
Old 09-08-2022, 11:09 AM   #9
1996 Itasca 29Q

Quote:
Good luck finding a shop that will agree to do this. You can DIY it, but you’ll need a welder to connect up to the hacked-off exhaust piping.
With a bell on one end and a band clamp on the other, no welding is needed!
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 11:17 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

So, the next question is, are there shops that do mobile replacements or do you just drive down the street waking everyone up for miles? And, if that's the way, how do you avoid a ticket?
Old 09-08-2022, 02:53 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I'm not advocating for defeating the emissions, but I was a little surprised to hear that TX shops would not entertain 'clandestine repairs'. I say this because a non-trivial percentage (25%?) of the lifted diesel trucks around here have had their emissions deleted (EGR/DPF). From the looks of the owners, I'd be really shocked if these folks did it themselves. Thus, it seems to be a bit of a double standard. Maybe you need to tell the shops that you'll only use the RV off-road.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 03:50 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
So, the next question is, are there shops that do mobile replacements or do you just drive down the street waking everyone up for miles? And, if that's the way, how do you avoid a ticket?
Yes, you drive it… making a hell of a racket in the process. The shop was 30 miles away from my storage facility.

No tickets were received during the loud part of the drive. The return trip after installation was the only quiet part
Old 09-08-2022, 03:56 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
I'm not advocating for defeating the emissions, but I was a little surprised to hear that TX shops would not entertain 'clandestine repairs'.
I only inquired about this at shops with insurance and certified techs. I don’t doubt that there are some more fly by night places that would say “whatever” when asked.

But I was having trouble getting a converter part and the shops I called all had real phone numbers and employees and signs out front. You know real repair places that you’d want to have working on your RV.

This shop did my work:
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2022, 04:21 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
...I only inquired about this at shops with insurance and certified techs....
That explains it then. I like your approach. Perfectly sensible.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, converter