Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-24-2021, 07:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U

Hi, I just purchased a new to me RV. It’s a 2000 winnebago itasca suncruiser 35U. I’m a complete newbie to rving. Have only owned travel trailers. I’ve redone the interior so it’s more updated. I was very careful not to add weight. I really just did paint, wallpaper, slip covers, peel and stick backsplash etc. anyway, now that I’ve got the interior the way I want it’s my husbands turn for the mechanics. We did run into a lot of unexpecteds. We installed all new exhaust vent fans, a new skylight, repaired and reposted the roof. We had to replace the refrigerator, windshield wiper arms, all new shocks for outside compartments and springs and baseplates for the leveling jacks were missing. We know we will need new tires. Question is, what do you think of this model? Problems you’ve encountered? We know very little about rvs but my husband is a diesel mechanic and works on semis so we have a little advantage there. Where is the inverter/ converter and can someone educate me on that?
Gloriaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 10:50 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

We have a 2002 Suncruiser 35U with a Workhorse chassis. We haven't had any major problems but had some issues with leaky hydraulic hoses to the front slide. HWH had a problem with some defective hoses in the early 2000s with them leaking around the metal ferrules where the fittings attach to the hoses. You'll know if you have a problem if you see drips of hydraulic fluid. Hopefully your's are OK. If you do have this problem, PM me.

We also had a leaky bathroom skylight that I had to replace and do some ceiling repairs, but this isn't unique to the 35U.

One issue to look into are windshield leaks. These can be simple or complex to fix. Use the powered by Google search box to find threads on this. Again, feel free to PM me if you have this issue.

The converter and inverter are separate. The converter should be under the stove and, if original should be replaced to one with multi-stage charging. I installed one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There's a small inverter in the cabinet to the right of the front TV.

I think the 35U is one of the best Winnebago floor plans.

Oh, and if it hasn't already been done, upgrade your toilet to a high profile one with a ceramic bowl:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also replaced the water pump.

If you PM me I'll give you my direct contact info.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 10:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloriaj View Post
Hi, I just purchased a new to me RV. It’s a 2000 winnebago itasca suncruiser 35U. I’m a complete newbie to rving. Have only owned travel trailers. I’ve redone the interior so it’s more updated. I was very careful not to add weight. I really just did paint, wallpaper, slip covers, peel and stick backsplash etc. anyway, now that I’ve got the interior the way I want it’s my husbands turn for the mechanics. We did run into a lot of unexpecteds. We installed all new exhaust vent fans, a new skylight, repaired and reposted the roof. We had to replace the refrigerator, windshield wiper arms, all new shocks for outside compartments and springs and baseplates for the leveling jacks were missing. We know we will need new tires. Question is, what do you think of this model? Problems you’ve encountered? We know very little about rvs but my husband is a diesel mechanic and works on semis so we have a little advantage there. Where is the inverter/ converter and can someone educate me on that?
we HAD a 35U on the ford chassis. we traded it in on a '16 Suncruiser 38Q i wish we had never made the trade. we had very little trouble with the 35U. VERY livable floor plan. the 38Q has been full of trouble but our 35U had very few. the biggest issue...it threw a spark plug at around 65,000-miles and we had trouble with one of the jacks. you've got a winner!

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 06:05 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I should have mentioned that my Workhorse engine had a cracked spark plug which I understand is a common problem. I also had my shocks replaced. On the advice of my "truck guy", who is also a motorhome owner, I replaced them with OEM shocks. Others will swear by more expensive shocks like Bilsteins but the OEMs are doing fine.

You might want to set up a signature block similar to mine and Rich's that details the year and model of your MH.
Old 05-25-2021, 08:01 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

What is a signature block? How do I do that?
Gloriaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

My signature block is at the end of my post. Mine is:

Bob C
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
Workhorse Chassis

You set it up by clicking on User CP in the left hand side of the orange toolbar. Then click on "Edit Signature" and create what you'd like to see at the end of your posts.

The nice thing about including the specifics of your MH is that we will always know what you have and won't have to ask if you don't mention it in your message.

Tags
itasca, suncruiser