Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-16-2020, 07:07 AM   #41
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Canadians are bailing out of the campground here in Florida each day. Some of them have received a communication from the company that provides their union retiree healthcare benefit in the US that they have ten days to get back to Canada or their COVID19 healthcare costs in the USA will not be covered. Others are concerned that if they get ill they could be quarantined for 14 days at the border.

One couple got here yesterday and were planning to stay until April 6th but are now leaving for Canada on Tuesday.

Ray
From the info we have on this side of the Canadian border they will be required to ‘self-isolate’ at home for two weeks when they return but noone monitors that this really happens...
Old 03-16-2020, 07:11 AM   #42
Winnebago Master

I bought my trailer in part to be emergency housing after an earthquake. My thinking was that it would be not only structurally undamaged, but that also it would be easier to heat if natural gas supplies were cut off. I have a pretty decent supply of propane. This virus though doesn't cut off water and electricity.

The concern I have about travelling is that it's not possible to bring that much food with you. If grocery stores go bare due to hoarding it could be difficult.

Having a diesel I think I may be a bit less subject to fuel shortages since I doubt there would be a lot of diesel hoarding.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:48 AM   #43
Winnebago Master

Goodspike mentions something that is often mentioned in reports but not defined very well. Hoarding? What is that ? Is it actually going out and buying too much like six weeks of groceries, or is it following the really vague directions we find on the CDC info? One of the points I was shaking my head about was the folks buying up bottled water, as I assumed the water would still come out of the tap and still be good. But then when I read the instructions we are getting direct from the CDC website, I see why folks who are trying to do their best are buying something as useless as bottled water! The CDC recommends it! Did they think or just run to the normal hurricane prep list and cut and copy?
One that is a bit different in RV versus home is that most of us do have a pretty big stock of good drinking water on hand at home. Got a water heater? That means you already have 30-50 gallons of good drinkable water on hand -----even if the CDC doesn't know about it and the virus does come out and cut the lines!
Do the best you can out there as you may be the only one taking care of you!
Old 03-16-2020, 08:10 AM   #44
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Goodspike mentions something that is often mentioned in reports but not defined very well. Hoarding? What is that ? Is it actually going out and buying too much like six weeks of groceries, or is it following the really vague directions we find on the CDC info? One of the points I was shaking my head about was the folks buying up bottled water, as I assumed the water would still come out of the tap and still be good.
The one I don't get is toilet paper, and my earthquake emergency supplies include cat litter!
Old 03-16-2020, 12:19 PM   #45
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie M View Post
A fair compilation of what has vexed us. You just left out disco.
wow, those guys are good. If my son and daughter worked in a Hospital I too would take my grandkids on as many outtings and trips as possible. Just away from their parents. LOL.
Anyway, Superman has nothing on "oldchinahand." I think they'll be the only octogenarians on the planet once this passes. LOL. I'm surprised they don't have a 10 yr old dog Lost Dog who has only 3 legs, blind in left eye, missing right ear, tail broken, castrated, has been through it all, like they have, and Answers to the name of “Lucky.”
Old 03-16-2020, 12:21 PM   #46
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
Seven days ago when he last posted on the subject, it really didn't look bad and nobody was even admitting that we had a problem. All good! All contained! But that was a week ago before things got real in all the countries overseas.
Most of us have now read the reasons for doing our best to limit the spread, some will do what's needed and some won't. How many of each will dictate how things go. At least this time it seems to be getting more of the ones who are old enough to know better, rather than just the kids.
Hmmm. Survival of the fittest.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:32 PM   #47
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
Goodspike mentions something that is often mentioned in reports but not defined very well. Hoarding? What is that ? Is it actually going out and buying too much like six weeks of groceries, or is it following the really vague directions we find on the CDC info? One of the points I was shaking my head about was the folks buying up bottled water, as I assumed the water would still come out of the tap and still be good. But then when I read the instructions we are getting direct from the CDC website, I see why folks who are trying to do their best are buying something as useless as bottled water! The CDC recommends it! Did they think or just run to the normal hurricane prep list and cut and copy?
One that is a bit different in RV versus home is that most of us do have a pretty big stock of good drinking water on hand at home. Got a water heater? That means you already have 30-50 gallons of good drinkable water on hand -----even if the CDC doesn't know about it and the virus does come out and cut the lines!
Do the best you can out there as you may be the only one taking care of you!
Plus most RV'ers have those nice big water filters they screw onto the faucets at camp grounds. Usually your big class A rigs already come with one. Hey, just string 3 of those bad boys together and turn on your faucet. You see, there's 30 gallons of water right there, without even going to the store. Just save your bottles. lol
Old 03-16-2020, 12:44 PM   #48
Winnebago Master

At the Safeway today I noticed paper towels are also out of stock. Who needs paper towels that badly? I hope they aren't using paper towels for toilet paper. That could not only be uncomfortable, but also cause plumbing problems.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:50 PM   #49
Winnebago Master

Paper towels plus bleach water when wipes are extinct!!
We did find a Harbor freight for alternative disposable gloves.