Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2020, 02:30 PM   #1
Site Team

RVing is Getting Cheaper!

With the recent reductions in interest rates and falling fuel prices RVing season is looking like an awesome deal! Is anyone changing their travel plans or RV purchase plans due to Covid-19 concerns?

Any bets on how this will affect camping spot availability for the coming year?
Old 03-09-2020, 03:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'm not changing plans yet as there are lots of details still not known yet. One big one is that our son-in law is a teacher and we have two grandchildren in school which makes them three potential timebombs for us as we see them. They are in the Austin, Texas schools and they seem to be ready with plans as the spread really gets full blown, so the questions for us relate to how many schools close and if it is enough to stop the wholesale spread. Right now, I'm guessing it is too late to stop it now as we really have not done the testing to actually know who and how many have it already.
Current best estimate with limited facts is that about 20 students may die at my son in law's school and that is really working on his mind as he teaches special ed and a number of his students are really front and center for this problem.
But for travel plans, I feel camping may be one of the safer things to do (until we get QT'd!) as it doesn't get us close to other folks. It will certainly stop or slow down the things we enjoy like eating out but that can't be helped.
So much will depend on what each state does and how effective it is, so we are not making any major travel plan changes---yet.
Obviously the economy is gone for at least a year, so I do not plan any major added expense like buying an RV which we might not be able to use in the short term. If we go the way of Italy, Japan, and Korea, the RV buying/swapping is out for quite a while.
Camping availability is still unknown as it changes depending on how many parks close to avoid the virus and how many lose their employees due to sick or QT. Could be lots of openings as people stay home or there could be none due to no employees wanting to come to work. One of the problems with the nursing home in Washington was the limited number of folks who came to work for the number of sick people.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Not changing any plans yet, so far will be keeping our reservations for Arizona and Utah, elsewhere we dry camp off grid.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
With the recent reductions in interest rates and falling fuel prices RVing season is looking like an awesome deal! Is anyone changing their travel plans or RV purchase plans due to Covid-19 concerns?

of course not but panics are self-fulfilling prophecies. take the panic out to a possible outcome.

- local news reporting panic buying of soap and TP which will cause others to buy soap and TP. what’s next...canned goods, bread and...OMG! chocolate chip cookies!!

- not a stretch to think of long gas lines caused by drivers not driving and refineries not refining. can those of us on the road get home?

- runs on ATMs. if we’re gonna be locked away we’ll surely need cash!

the list is endless. WHO says they’re “close” to declaring a pandemic which will escalate the panic. 110,000 confirmed cases out of what, 8-BILLION people. that’s gotta be a lot of zeroes to the right of the decimal point.

one sports columnist asking (suggesting?) if all opening day MLB games be played in empty stadiums...no fans? why? if that’s a good idea (it’s not) why limit it to opening day? the arizona election commission has announced workers will FREQUENTLY wipe down “touch surfaces”. why frequently and not after every voter?

people have got to calm down and that starts, imo, with the mass media and politicians urging calm, putting context into their reports and reporters not showing video of people pushing carts full of TP to their cars. otherwise we’re all in for a world of hurt.

i sure don’t recall this level of panic with H1N1, SARS, ebola. why now?

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
Old 03-09-2020, 07:46 PM   #5
Living The Dream

Quote:

Some spot out there along Highway 50 in Nevada is looking pretty good!
Old 03-09-2020, 08:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
of course not but panics are self-fulfilling prophecies. take the panic out to a possible outcome.

- local news reporting panic buying of soap and TP which will cause others to buy soap and TP. what’s next...canned goods, bread and...OMG! chocolate chip cookies!!

- not a stretch to think of long gas lines caused by drivers not driving and refineries not refining. can those of us on the road get home?

- runs on ATMs. if we’re gonna be locked away we’ll surely need cash!

the list is endless. WHO says they’re “close” to declaring a pandemic which will escalate the panic. 110,000 confirmed cases out of what, 8-BILLION people. that’s gotta be a lot of zeroes to the right of the decimal point.

one sports columnist asking (suggesting?) if all opening day MLB games be played in empty stadiums...no fans? why? if that’s a good idea (it’s not) why limit it to opening day? the arizona election commission has announced workers will FREQUENTLY wipe down “touch surfaces”. why frequently and not after every voter?

people have got to calm down and that starts, imo, with the mass media and politicians urging calm, putting context into their reports and reporters not showing video of people pushing carts full of TP to their cars. otherwise we’re all in for a world of hurt.

i sure don’t recall this level of panic with H1N1, SARS, ebola. why now?
The reason for the difference in this from other cases is that this is at least a full blown epidemic while the others were met and pretty much contained before they spread world wide. In this case things are much more progressed and it is easy to see that it is doing major damage in the countries it got to first. Like Italy, Korea, and Japan, there is no reason to assume it will not do the same here. Like the Brits said of WWII? The Americans will do the right thing---but only after they have tried everything else first!
So you are correct that panic is certainly not the thing to do and that is pretty much what the OP was asking. What are other people doing and thinking. That does not make me think panic but shows some level of advance planning.
When the planning gets put off too long, things get much harder, so doing the thinking now seems as good a way to meet the challenge as we can do for now. Until we get more info on how it is progressing, I will not do too much in changing plans but I will have backup plans of some level thought out.
We are lucky in some ways but not in others around my house. We don't have kids to stay home from school with all the trouble that brings and we don't have jobs to lose or figure out but both those items also mean we are old enough to fall well within the "vulnerable " group!
Old 03-09-2020, 09:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

After discovering a run on toilet paper I've decided I'm not good at these prediction things. I tend to stock a lot of emergency supplies relative to most people, and toilet paper never even entered my mind. And I do have an emergency supply of cat litter for my cat, but still didn't think of TP. But we do buy TP at Costco, so when we buy we do buy a lot because a lot is the smallest quantity they sell.

My only prediction is that a lot of camp spots will be available near Kirkland Washington. ;-)

I would question though what all those people who would have gone on cruises will do. We might see a lot of older trailers out on the road.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:13 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post

I would question though what all those people who would have gone on cruises will do. We might see a lot of older trailers out on the road.

I'm betting they decide to go RVing and if they don't own an RV they may consider buying a new one. Camping in the great outdoors (and avoiding hotels and restaurants) is looking like a great option.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I'm betting they decide to go RVing and if they don't own an RV they may consider buying a new one. Camping in the great outdoors (and avoiding hotels and restaurants) is looking like a great option.
Since I wrote that I read that Israel is imposing a 14 day quarantine on new visitors. So that rules out another country to travel to (Italy and Greece being others in the same general area that are out of the picture.)
Old 03-09-2020, 11:17 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Not changing our plans. How can we thumb our noses at diesel in the $2.50 range?

Our son is some kind of IT unicorn at a local hospital. Our daughter in law is a nurse practitioner with the VA. We pick up our 8 & 10 year old g'daughters almost everyday at school, blase with the other grandparents a while, then off to choir, or catachism, or b'ball practice or riding lessons. Meet n greet and enjoy the company of others.

Only time we hear of wuhan virus panic is when we turn on the TV and the left legged communists are screaming about it.

Those of us in our 7th decade have lived through polio, small pox, chicken pox, how many kinds of measles, mumps, STDs, AIDs, SARS, H1N1, Ebola, and more. Not to mention rattlesnakes, scorpions, black widows, brown recluses and feral pigs. AND, the Weathermen, Black Panthers, Symbionise Liberation Army, Black September, Jane Fonda, leisure suits, Occupy Wallstreet, Antifa, cartels and radical islam.

This too, will pass.

We intend to wash our hands (as always), cough into our elbows (as always), avoid buffets (as always), give thanks (as always), and enjoy each other and the view of America through that 16 foot picture window gracing the front of our rig.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Old 03-10-2020, 07:41 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I don't depend on the details of the media reports as it does take watching both sides to get the full story, but I do see congress is now self QTing themselves and the first lady is no longer going to show at a rally, so it is finally hitting home to that group that this time is different.
What it takes to keep a situation under control is real thinking by real people and that means down at our level as we do have the numbers. If we do the work and get the correct info, we have a chance, but if we do not choose to stay home when told, it will not work.
The true level of any epidemic depends on the level of action taken, so it will be interesting to see who does their homework and stays in QT, versus the person who insists he has to go to the father/daughter dance like the guy in St. Louis.
If we blame the media for telling us that Italy is closed, it may feel good but those folks will bring the disease right to the front door. It's medical situation, NOT a political one.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:50 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I don't depend on the details of the media reports as it does take watching both sides to get the full story, but I do see congress is now self QTing themselves and the first lady is no longer going to show at a rally, so it is finally hitting home to that group that this time is different. .
I don't think it's so much that it's different, it's that you use different methods when a disease isn't out in the general community. At this point there is still a chance for containment, even in Washington state. Although with modern air travel, containment becomes very difficult.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:56 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchinahand View Post
Those of us in our 7th decade have lived through polio, small pox, chicken pox, how many kinds of measles, mumps, STDs, AIDs, SARS, H1N1, Ebola, and more. Not to mention rattlesnakes, scorpions, black widows, brown recluses and feral pigs. AND, the Weathermen, Black Panthers, Symbionise Liberation Army, Black September, Jane Fonda, leisure suits, Occupy Wallstreet, Antifa, cartels and radical islam.

This too, will pass.
My doctor is rather young, and her eyes got big and she responded with alarm when I told her I had measles when I was a kid. It came up when we were discussing the Shingles vaccine, the need for which depends on whether you also had chickenpox, which I did. Anyway, apparently they don't teach history in medical school. Measles, mumps, chickenpox were all very common back in the early 1960s.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:36 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

What is taught in med school is often lacking, just like most industries. What most of us tend to overlook is the unpleasant stuff like how many die from different diseases.
At this point containment is almost a lost discussion as we do move around so much more. If you have any high tech industry in your area, the disease is likely in your community already but with the lack of testing we are just now beginning to get more info on who has it and where.
Blaming it on media hysteria is only one way to deal with it but it becomes pretty obvious when folks who attended CPAC like Cruz and several others self QT are not likely to be just rumor mongers. At that point congress does begin to pay attention but the cat is already out of the bag when that many people at that one convention are calling themself exposed.
Since Austin does have a high percentage of high tech with lots of international operations, we fully expect it to hit hard here, so some of our neighbors are doing a bit of planning, assuming some of us will be in QT soon. One of the minor things we are setting up is how to get food in for those we don't want going out to the store to shop. We have a close knit group on our block and have agreed that we should certainly call on others to combine shopping or go for any emergency supplies as we might need them. Really impossible to do a rational job of stocking food and supplies for a period which might last as long as a year or more before it all runs it's course.
How long it is with us and how severe will depend on how well the majority of folks take it serious and how well they do what's needed to keep from spreading it. Those are the ones who will show up in the grocery stores, coughing on all the food!
Not going to any buffets, that's for sure!
Old 03-10-2020, 11:36 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Not going to any buffets, that's for sure!
Another industry that would get hit. I hadn't thought of that one, but I don't go to buffets anyway. That was something my mom did that I never liked.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:49 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Well that certainly didn't take long for the virus to come home near me! two big items popped up since I last posted here. One is that my neighbor just got back from New York and they are now self- QT and the news tells us that the local Dell headquarters is now suspect due to company members from India who were at headquarters, now being positive for the virus. No current info on what actions Dell will take nor how much of the headquarters will be affected.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:25 PM   #17
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

We were set to go to the Caymen Islands, but we were uncomfortable with having to touch down in various airports and go through them, so we canceled. I was apprehensive about the Airplanes too, but an airline expert explained how the air system and hepa filters in the airplanes work, which allayed some of my fears. But better safe than sorry. So we plan on visiting more CG's.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:37 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightUR View Post
We were set to go to the Caymen Islands, but we were uncomfortable with having to touch down in various airports and go through them, so we canceled. I was apprehensive about the Airplanes too, but an airline expert explained how the air system and hepa filters in the airplanes work, which allayed some of my fears. But better safe than sorry. So we plan on visiting more CG's.
The air may be okay on planes but I can't imagine even the best seat being six feet away from somebody! More like six millimeter, perhaps?
Old 03-12-2020, 03:09 PM   #19
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
The air may be okay on planes but I can't imagine even the best seat being six feet away from somebody! More like six millimeter, perhaps?
LOL. you got that right.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:12 PM   #20
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
Well that certainly didn't take long for the virus to come home near me! two big items popped up since I last posted here. One is that my neighbor just got back from New York and they are now self- QT and the news tells us that the local Dell headquarters is now suspect due to company members from India who were at headquarters, now being positive for the virus. No current info on what actions Dell will take nor how much of the headquarters will be affected.
Dell???? you must be in my neighborhood, somewhere near Austin Tx. Oh, I see, Pflugerville. No kidding. Hey neighbor. LOL.