Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-12-2020, 01:02 PM   #21
Site Team

My hair cutting salon opened yesterday and I have an appointment for Friday. We have to phone ahead when we get to the parking lot and wait in our cars until your stylist is done with the person before you. No waiting in the shop. You must wear a mask. When you enter they put you in a cleaned cape and you have your temp checked and you have to use hand sanitizer. You can't even pay you have to pre-pay online or use Apple Pay.

Our county, Pop 156,000, which is 15 miles north of San Antonio has had 64 cases total, 6 deaths and currently has 15 active cases. We haven't had a death in a month and we generally see less than 2 new cases per week. Many weeks there are no new cases.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:41 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
My hair cutting salon opened yesterday and I have an appointment for Friday. We have to phone ahead when we get to the parking lot and wait in our cars until your stylist is done with the person before you. No waiting in the shop. You must wear a mask. When you enter they put you in a cleaned cape and you have your temp checked and you have to use hand sanitizer. You can't even pay you have to pre-pay online or use Apple Pay.

Our county, Pop 156,000, which is 15 miles north of San Antonio has had 64 cases total, 6 deaths and currently has 15 active cases. We haven't had a death in a month and we generally see less than 2 new cases per week. Many weeks there are no new cases.
Where I go is similar to what your place is doing regarding safe operation. Our county population is just under 175,000 with a total of 77 covid-19 cases with 3 deaths.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:56 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
When you enter they put you in a cleaned cape and you have your temp checked and you have to use hand sanitizer.
Why would a barber's customer need to use hand sanitizer? The money exchange? Or is this "barber" a front for some other type of business?
Old 05-12-2020, 02:58 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

To make you feel better after sitting in the same chair as the previous person, even though it was sanitized.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:15 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Why would a barber's customer need to use hand sanitizer? The money exchange? Or is this "barber" a front for some other type of business?
Is this a joke question? Because it's pretty obvious they don't want YOU touching things with unsanitized hands. Like the stylist's chair, etc.

Perhaps you frequent "other types of businesses" and that's why you think that. I don't and appreciate them being careful.

Our grocery store will not let you enter without using hand sanitizer at the entry door either - perhaps you have "some other business" joke to go along with that????
Old 05-12-2020, 05:00 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Our grocery store will not let you enter without using hand sanitizer at the entry door either - perhaps you have "some other business" joke to go along with that????
Never heard of any place requiring sanitizing hands (as opposed to providing it for a customer convenience). I've heard of them requiring gloves. Rather foolish if someone thinks they can keep an interior space sanitized by only by sanitizing hands. At the store I'd be much more likely to use it on the way out than the way in.

But, yes, it was obviously a joke.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:06 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Never heard of any place requiring sanitizing hands (as opposed to providing it for a customer convenience). I've heard of them requiring gloves. Rather foolish if someone thinks they can keep an interior space sanitized by only by sanitizing hands. At the store I'd be much more likely to use it on the way out than the way in.

But, yes, it was obviously a joke.
The store is the largest chain in Texas. So big it drove most other stores out of the state - HEB. And they do REQUIRE you to use hand sanitizer on your way in and out of the store and they have a person physically hand everyone entering a paper towel soaked in bleach water to wipe down the cart.

Some jokes are more appreciated than others.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:43 AM   #28
Winnie-Wise

I've been staying away... but just catching up on the forums. I've been doing a buzz cut for years since the jokes started about the "count" of hairs on my head etc.

Now about the hand sanitizer. I carry it in my shirt pocket. The reason you use it coming in and going out the door - you gotta use your hands to open most doors. If it is an automatic door - not really. Regardless just use it and when you get home wash them - good.

I was also fortunate to have two respirators in hand along with 10 sets of P100 filters. I have used them for years to mow grass and drive the bushhog on the farm. Keeps allergies and asthma at bay and now, hopefully, covid-19.
Old 06-26-2020, 01:29 PM   #29
Site Team

Hi Bill,
No need for hand sanitizer; just use Voice Activated Doors.
Ha-ha-ha!
Thanks, Eagle5

Old 06-26-2020, 04:08 PM   #30
Site Team

Barbers have finally reopened in California in my county. I have an appointment on Tuesday and am REALLY looking forward to getting rid of my shaggy head! Last haircut was 3/15! I’m happy to use sanitizer, face masks or just about anything necessary to get a haircut. :-)
Old 06-26-2020, 04:33 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

Late breaking news for Texas?
Texas governor Abbott has finally decided to follow some of the health folks advise and is now shutting down some of the places he opened a week ago. Bars were closed today at noon and restaurants cut back from 75% to 50% of capacity. Folks are not at all concerned here and he was promoting the idea that we were in the clear, even with the state setting records every day for the past week or so! Houston hospitals are near maxed out but the local Austin situation is not very clear as they have not settled on how to report the numbers as well as some pretty old school reporting like using fax machines which then have to have the data entered manually so that the count from some places is delayed about ten days!
On the grocery shopping, my wife has moved from doing her shopping locally in the suburbs and now drives a bit farther to get into the more metro area where it is more acceptable to wear the masks.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:25 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
Barbers have finally reopened in California in my county. I have an appointment on Tuesday and am REALLY looking forward to getting rid of my shaggy head! Last haircut was 3/15! I’m happy to use sanitizer, face masks or just about anything necessary to get a haircut. :-)
I'm just continuing to cut my own, with the wife's help for the back. Seems like way too small of a confined space and too close of proximity to someone in constant contact with others.

That said, I did go for a dentist visit, which is even closer contact. But the difference is I can't clean my own teeth and worry about gum disease if I don't have regular cleanings.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:28 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
On the grocery shopping, my wife has moved from doing her shopping locally in the suburbs and now drives a bit farther to get into the more metro area where it is more acceptable to wear the masks.
We do Amazon Fresh delivery for most of our groceries, supplemented by produce and a few other things from Safeway early morning and/or a local produce market when they first open at 10.

I haven't been to the Fred Meyer I usually shop at for months, which is too bad because my trailer is stored along the way and now I can't check up on it as often.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:30 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Late breaking news for Texas?
Texas governor Abbott has finally decided to follow some of the health folks advise and is now shutting down some of the places he opened a week ago. Bars were closed today at noon and restaurants cut back from 75% to 50% of capacity.
I think I read that Florida shut down bars too. Better late than never.

If only our Governor (Inslee) had some balls. He caves to anyone's demands even though two counties are having serious issues.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:24 AM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
I think I read that Florida shut down bars too. Better late than never.

If only our Governor (Inslee) had some balls. He caves to anyone's demands even though two counties are having serious issues.
Florida just re-closed any bar where 50% of their revenue doesn’t come from food. 50% capacity at restaurants. We’re becoming hermits again. We have avoided crowds for the past few months and pretty much only go out to grocery shop.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:29 AM   #36
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
We’re becoming hermits again.
Doesn't bother me. This comic describes me!

https://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2020/04/07
Old 06-27-2020, 04:08 PM   #37
Winnebago Owner

I'm getting where I could use another cut but I'm having second thoughts. Based on the talking heads covid doesn't seem to be abating with the summer weather.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:31 PM   #38
Winnebago Master

I'm getting my late '60s and early '70s curls back, just not as many on top. I'm in no rush to get a haircut from anyone from my wife.