Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-26-2020, 07:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Firefly thermostat settings for heat

(Cross posted from the Facebook Forza site)

Firefly question about heating on my ’19 Forza 34T: I cannot set my heat pump & furnace thermostat temperatures independently from each other. I want to set a lower heat-on temp for the heat pump than the furnace so that I can use park electricity for heat rather than on-board propane for the furnace. But whatever temp I set for one overrides whatever I previously set for the other as I cycle thru heat/cool/off/fan/furnace.
The result is that both my furnace and heat pump run at the same time. I dunno if I‘m doing something wrong or my system is acting up. Are you able to set different heat temps for the 2 heat sources?
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I've been informed that the propane furnace will fire up whenever the room temp is >5° from the thermostat set point. Once the furnace nears set temp, it'll shut down and let the roof heat pump take over by itself until the thermostat shuts it off.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:52 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBreeze View Post
Once the furnace nears set temp, it'll shut down and let the roof heat pump take over by itself until the thermostat shuts it off.
Only if the outside temps are >40 degrees - at least that's what I think happens. When the outside temps are below 40 the propane furnace takes over.

I could be wrong - I don't have a Firefly system and my two furnace options are independently setable. One or the other only. Not both gas and heat pump at the same time.

What does your Operator's manual say?
Old 10-27-2020, 02:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

The manual is a bit vague when it comes to heating. It does go into heat pump limitations in cold weather though:

“You may wish to manually switch to propane furnace heat to maintain a higher temperature when outside temperatures begin to reduce the efficiency of the Heat Pump.”

...but the Firefly... Ahem: “multiplex monitor panel”... doesn’t allow for “manual switch[ing]” of the furnace and hence my question about independently setting furnace/heat pump temp settings.
I’ve gotta guess that somehow the integrated system is smart enough to bypass heat pump operation in freezing conditions.
Armed with your info and a re-read of the Winnie manual, I’ll be experimenting to see just how everything heat-wise works together. I do miss my older coach that had separate knobs, buttons and switches for each & every appliance though
Old 10-27-2020, 03:45 PM   #5
Site Team

I looked in the Operator's Manual for the 2019 Forza and under "Heating" it appears to allow you to chose the "Mode" between LP Furnace and the Heat Pump.

Here's a screen shot of the manual. Are you saying it doesn't work this way?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 4.43.11 PM.png
Views:	84
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	175506

Under the separate Heat Pump instructions it says that it will automatically switch to the furnace as we previously discussed:

Quote:
This system is set to automatically start the propane furnace to assist the Heat Pump if room temperature cools to 5 degrees or more below the Thermostat set temperature. You may wish to manually switch to propane furnace heat to maintain a higher temperature when outside temperatures begin to reduce the efficiency of the Heat Pump. The Heat Pump will not operate when the outside temperature falls below 36 degrees F
Old 10-28-2020, 06:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I do have separate settings for heat pump & furnace (and also on the same Zone 1 button: off, cool, and fan). What prompted my original question is that whatever temp I set for ‘heat pump’ overrides the temp I had previously set for ‘furnace’ , and vice-versa.
Apparently Coleman’s thermostat is hard coded to handle heat pump/furnace interaction in various inside/outside conditions and I’m guessing that Winnie’s multiplex monitor panel is well-integrated with a Coleman thermostat somehow.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Just to add... here’s a Coleman Mach Airexcel doc on how the heat pump & furnace work together. For me, it pretty much answered my original question.
https://www.airxcel.com/DesktopModul...df/1976331.pdf
Old 10-28-2020, 06:50 PM   #8
Site Team

But you did say, "The result is that both my furnace and heat pump run at the same time." Yet, reading your manual it absolutely sounds like you can run the LP furnace completely separate of the Heat Pump.

At least, that's what your Operator's Manual says - and coincidentally it's how mine works with the standard Coleman thermostat, as well.

Tags
heat, thermostat