Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-29-2016, 02:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2003 Journey a/c settings question

Hi - we are staying in our Journey for an extended period of time for the first time. Whet it's hot during the day the a/c comes on and cools great then it reaches the set temp, shuts off and then it is only off for about 5 minutes before it comes back on. Seems like we have some extreme cooling loss in the RV. I have curtains closed, windshield and side window shades installed and the roof vents closed with foam inserts. Is this just the nature of the beast??

Is it possible to set the temp difference to where it comes on with more than a 2 degrees difference which is what it seems like it is?

Thanks
Ben
Old 05-29-2016, 06:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

My understanding is that the thermostat set points are "hard wired" into the board.

I suggest that you try a slightly different strategy ... try setting the temperature on the thermostat a degree of two higher ... and have the FAN run continuously ... I think this will accomplish what you are wanting

Do you have double pane windows? ... if not you might try getting some sunscreen material and covering the ones on the sunnyside of your coach
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:55 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Get yourself an infrared thermometer and see where you heat sinks are. You may want to place a portable fan to move that air. Also, the skylight in you shower lets in lots of heat. I cut a piece of foil insulation and hold it in place with velcro during the day. As mentioned run the fan constantly and not in the auto mode.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

2003 Journey a/c settings question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelm130 View Post
Hi - we are staying in our Journey for an extended period of time for the first time. Whet it's hot during the day the a/c comes on and cools great then it reaches the set temp, shuts off and then it is only off for about 5 minutes before it comes back on. Seems like we have some extreme cooling loss in the RV. I have curtains closed, windshield and side window shades installed and the roof vents closed with foam inserts. Is this just the nature of the beast??

Is it possible to set the temp difference to where it comes on with more than a 2 degrees difference which is what it seems like it is?

Thanks
Ben

Mostly the nature of the beast when the sun is beating on it.

If you don't have LED lighting keep as many lights off as possible. Parking in shade helps much.

Know where your temperature call sensors are for each AC and aim your vents in deferent direction. This will lengthen the cycle time.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks everyone for some good suggestions! I agree about the bathroom skylight. I'm half tempted to coat or paint it with something. I'll break out the infrared thermometer this weekend see what I can find.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:52 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Good luck keep us posted. Don't hesitate to break out the box fans to move air. I have one mixing warmer windshield air with cooler lounge air. Plus have one about three feet in front of my a.c. return air. I was sucking 72 degree air out of the coach so I blow it back before recooling.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:51 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

keep in mind the nature of the beast. It is not a house. Thinner walls, less insulation, high percentage of glass to wall surface, lots of heat gain, especially the windshield. You can shade the sides some with window awnings and porch awning, but the roof, short of tree shade is in constant solar exposure. Plus, where your a/c ducts are, in the ceiling foam insulation, creates hot spots because of the reduction in insulation. But by maximizing shade, running the a/c fan all the time, you can actually do a pretty good job of keeping the inside at least 15 degrees cooler than the outside. However, when it gets above 100 outside, its going to a loosing battle, just not enough wall and roof insulation. So have some inside fans to keep the air moving.

Tags
journey