Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-12-2023, 06:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Can I run generator while driving?

Hello,
First post here. I have a 1993 Brave 27' the cab/driver compt. AC isnt workimg at the moment can i drive and run my generator and power the overhead? If so can i start jt while driving or should i start before driving??
MarioDC13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 07:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Yes, I do all the time. In fact, I set my thermostat to say 80 degrees and leave both units ON, then I set my AGS. When it hits 81 in the coach the Genny will start due to High Temp Call from Thermostat while I am driving and both ACs will turn ON. When it is cool enough, and passed the minimum run times it will automatically shut down and repeat the process if necessary all without me ever having to get up. It is great!!!
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 08:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

By running your A/C off your generator while driving, you'll eliminate the initial heat load that you'd otherwise experience once you're at your campsite. You'll be immediately comfortable instead of waiting hours for your MH to cool down. Although it's usually less of an issue, the same goes for running your heater off your generator when it's cold.

You can start the generator anytime, but if it your MH is warm inside, I'd run my A/C off either the generator or shore power before starting out.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 09:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
By running your A/C off your generator while driving, you'll eliminate the initial heat load that you'd otherwise experience once you're at your campsite. You'll be immediately comfortable instead of waiting hours for your MH to cool down. Although it's usually less of an issue, the same goes for running your heater off your generator when it's cold.

You can start the generator anytime, but if it your MH is warm inside, I'd run my A/C off either the generator or shore power before starting out.
With my EC-30, I leave everything running when arriving at campsite, when I connect the shorepower, my Genny will auto shutdown and shift to shorepower.

The key for us is to not have to get up or stop while driving to turn AC on or Off, it can get too hot or too cold fast.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 10:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioDC13 View Post
Hello,
First post here. I have a 1993 Brave 27' the cab/driver compt. AC isnt workimg at the moment can i drive and run my generator and power the overhead? If so can i start jt while driving or should i start before driving??
A couple small points may help to decide!
One is when we want to start the generator, it is a heavy load and may take some time for fuel to reach the right places, so it can take a bit of cranking to start at different times. That can mean it takes a fair amount out of the batteries!
One thing to know about the RV is that both the start and coach batteries are connected together as we drive! That means when RV engine is running the alternator is working to keep both coach and start batteries charged!

That can be important to start the RV engine or having running if you are driving and somebody else is starting the engine, as a way to make sure the generator has the best power to start and also not be running the battery down!

Just good practice to always start the engine first as it normally starts much easier/quicker than the generator.
Many don't and get away with it but they risk trouble if things as things are not always in the top shape?

It is a good idea to let the generator get started and smoothed out before hitting it with a heavy load like AC.
Kind of like somebody throwing you a bowling ball while you are trying to stand up? Maybe okay but better to wait a bit!

Older RV will not have the automatic start and later tricks that new have, so don't spend much time sorting how to get it to do that!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 09:50 PM   #6
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Interesting. Kind of like what you do for putting out the slides. Thanks for the info I’ll put this into practice.

Quote:
That can be important to start the RV engine or having running if you are driving and somebody else is starting the engine, as a way to make sure the generator has the best power to start and also not be running the battery down!

Just good practice to always start the engine first as it normally starts much easier/quicker than the generator.

Tags
generator