Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Run furnace while driving in cold weather

2006 Fleetwood Excursion pusher. Thanks to all of you for helping me learn on this excellent forum. After a half dozen 22 to 26' coaches, we've ventured into the world of 39' pushers ! We're excited to be going to Ruskin Fl for a month in January. My question is we're from TN near the smokies, and it may be at or below freezing going down and coming back...I don't want frozen pipes or holding tanks on the trip. Can you run the propane furnace while driving to insure heat in the coach to protect pipes and tanks? It has 3 slides and the rooms obviously will be in....will it still distribute heat ? ( from the furnace-not the dash)

j.j. & Linda Owen
pulling a TandemTow dolly
with a street legal Ezgo RXV
and a 89Turbo Lebaron Gt convertible
Jamesotn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Yes, your furnace is designed to keep the vehicle warm, stopped or moving. Same with the refrigerator and generator, they are made to be used. Turn off flame devices while fueling, other than that, (and a few tunnels) they are fine.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

No

Suburban furnace manufacturer Airxcel | Suburban Manufacturing Service says No. But many people on this forum say they do it without consequence.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I do it all the time with no problems.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

WOW--think I have broken every rule on the Suburban website over the last ten years. .....and I am still here!!!!!!
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Many of the manufacturers say no on these controversial subjects in order to CYA. If something were to go wrong, you cannot say they didn't tell you.
1999 Winnebago Adventurer, Sam, Judy, Grand Daughter - Kenzie, 3 spoiled Pomeranians, Bella, Tinker and Aurora - 1 spoiled JR terrier, Mayzee - 1996 Ford Explorer, Sport 2 Door, 4 wheel drive, pulls 4 down like a dream.
Sam Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

If you have a Winnebago coach with the Motor aide heater you don't need to run the furnace as heat comes from the engine in order to heat compartments and make hot water to wash hands when stopping.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I never read the Q & A on the Suburban site, gee, I too have been breaking the 'law.'

If it is such an issue, why haven't the builders tied the furnace, water heater, refrigerator and stove or just the whole LP tank into the relay that turns the TV off when ignition is on? Must not be that big an issue?

I've searched to find states that prohibit LP use. This website: PopUp Times Magazine – State Laws on Towing says no LP AT ALL in MD tunnels, some NY bridges. CA and NJ forbid having tanks even turned on. (Oops, broke the law in both those states)

I guess if you have an LP powered vehicle, you'd have to build up a 'big head of steam', shut off the LP, and coast all the way through CA and NJ!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Jamesotn;

We leave WI first part of March and head to Fl. My rule of thumb is if the outside temperature is above 15 I will de-winterize my coach at home in the garage after having turned on the main furnace. I have never had a freeze up with the furnace running. I set the furnace at 70 and also use the dash heater. I have the motor aide and that keeps the hot water heater from freezing. If the out side temperature is less than 15 I do not de-winterize until I stop the first night. You should not have any problems leaving from TN. Have a great trip;

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Depending on water pump placement, it may be subjected to freezing temperature when the furnace is operating. Mine is 2" from a compartment door, and the compartment temperature can vary from freezing 2" from the door, to 40 degrees 12" from the door. I have a 2" section of Styrofoam to place between the pump and door for insulation. Motor-aide is not connected to cold water pipes, just runs through water heater.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Safer and easier would be to leave it winterized until you get to Florida. De-winterizing after you arrive in camp isn't such a big deal.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Talking Motor Aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
If you have a Winnebago coach with the Motor aide heater you don't need to run the furnace as heat comes from the engine in order to heat compartments and make hot water to wash hands when stopping.

Love that motor aid. Although mine is blowing the 15 amp fuse when I first turn it on. I put in a 20 amp and it will run then I change it out to a 15. I need to lubricate the fan I guess. But How?
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpie View Post
Love that motor aid. Although mine is blowing the 15 amp fuse when I first turn it on. I put in a 20 amp and it will run then I change it out to a 15. I need to lubricate the fan I guess. But How?
Ours only heats the hot water heater
Old 12-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Suburban furnace manufacturer Airxcel | Suburban Manufacturing Service says No. But many people on this forum say they do it without consequence.
Suburban says "No. Suburban does not feel this is a safe practice. Some states have laws forbidding the use of propane while driving."

What a pile of garbage!! Not that some states don't occasionally come up with some really daft laws, but I would doubt that there are any that daft, and would challenge Suburban to provide substantiation for any such law; a law which would obviously preclude use of propane operated vehicles.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
My ancient Winnie has Motor Aid, but I am not aware of any function beyond merely heating the hot water tank while driving. We have the usual dash heater, along with the rear bedroom heater, which seems to do just fine in 0F temperatures; and have never needed to use the furnace while on the road, although we wouldn't hesitate to do so, if needed.

In perusing specs on new Winnies, they are making a big deal out of a NEW additional engine heat source for keeping the coach warm in winter, but offer no explanation as to what it is, and how it works. Anyone have any more info on this new Winnie feature??
Old 12-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Rear heat

We have a used 04 Sightseer 30B with the motor aid. As I read the owner's info the motor aid is for pre-heating the water heater and I am glad to hear that it works since we live in northern Idaho. The other feature is a rear auto heater that is also from the engine coolant. It is controlled from the dash with a switch and I have found that with the front heater the two will keep the coach comfortable. I drove 20 miles to the dealer the other day at 8 degrees and the coach was near 40 degrees when I got there. Given a longer distance it has gotten the coach to near 70 in 30 degree weather.
jazzerjump is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather, furnace