Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-26-2020, 08:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2013 Winnebago Tour 42 - Aqua Hot Heat Issue

Hey everyone,

I listed this as a heating issue but have had issues with AC as well. I trust this is a thermostat issue. The 2013 has 3 zones. Heat works in zone 1 and 2 but not an option for 3 (I think is the cab).

Any suggestions for heat not triggering despite being well below desired temp? AC issue we had intermittently was AC would come on and NOT turn off despite desired temp setting.

A service guy said there are sensors in the rig for the zones. One might be a little nubbin under the TV behind the driver's chair.

I realize I am all over here- just trying to explain the symptoms. From any experience out there, do you think it is the actual thermostat on the wall in the control center or problems with the sensors?

Thanks!
Orracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

No experience with that system but electronics experience says that it needs to have the sensors disconnected one at a times and check the thermostat. Since that type sensor is so simple, I might guess the odds being good that it is a simple connection problem with a second guess being the thermostat itself but testing is needed.
If this is to be a DIY project, at least at first, I might go for looking for the connections where the three sensors meet, disconnect all but one and test operation, then if all is well, test further by adding more sensors, one at a time, until it failed.
For "first-look" testing the thermostat, try disconnecting the sensors and listen for the small click as it turns the heat or air on. Be aware there will be a few second delay between turning the heat up and clicking. A meter to test the contacts on the thermostat would be more definite but maybe more complex to know which connection to read.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:38 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Zone 3 is the heat in your under carriage.

If Aqua Hot is running normally and the force flow fans run but blow cold air it could be that the zone pump needs to be tapped a bit...they get stuck from time to time. Happened to me.

RV Hydronic Heater Repair - Home is a great site for trouble shooting. Roger there has solved my many Aqua Hot problems over 11 years as well as selling me the parts to fix things myself...much better than using a dealer that knows very little about these systems.
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five2o View Post
Zone 3 is the heat in your under carriage.

If Aqua Hot is running normally and the force flow fans run but blow cold air it could be that the zone pump needs to be tapped a bit...they get stuck from time to time. Happened to me.

RV Hydronic Heater Repair - Home is a great site for trouble shooting. Roger there has solved my many Aqua Hot problems over 11 years as well as selling me the parts to fix things myself...much better than using a dealer that knows very little about these systems.
GREAT information. First of all, I was told zone 3 was the cab....LOL. I am not there this week (on a business trip) but my wife is. Worked yesterday and last night but she woke up to 47 in zone 1 and 53 in zone 2. So - with both zones going cold, it seems it could be the thermostat or the sensors. Your thoughts?
Old 02-27-2020, 08:45 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

There’s a thermostat dial for zone 3 in the basement compartment that holds the AH - usually in the left upper corner. Check if it’s turned high enough to cause a heat demand.

Your living space temp sensors may be located at:
- Below and right side of LR TV cabinet
- Left of the stove under lip of countertop
- Below and right side of bedroom TV vanity countertop
Old 02-27-2020, 09:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
There’s a thermostat dial for zone 3 in the basement compartment that holds the AH - usually in the left upper corner. Check if it’s turned high enough to cause a heat demand.

Your living space temp sensors may be located at:
- Below and right side of LR TV cabinet
- Left of the stove under lip of countertop
- Below and right side of bedroom TV vanity countertop
THANK YOU SO MUCH! I will check the sensors. I think the basement is the only one working consistently.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:26 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Sorry - we should have clarified are you asking about the AH system or electric heat pumps. On the heat pump system you only have 2 pumps on the roof - the 3rd unit is A/C only. Therefore the t-stat only show 2 zones w/temp readings.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:34 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
Sorry - we should have clarified are you asking about the AH system or electric heat pumps. On the heat pump system you only have 2 pumps on the roof - the 3rd unit is A/C only. Therefore the t-stat only show 2 zones w/temp readings.
My thermostat shows temps for all three zones. The AH provides the heat for all three zones, does it not?
Old 02-27-2020, 05:02 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Yes - AH does all 3 zones.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:52 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orracle View Post
GREAT information. First of all, I was told zone 3 was the cab....LOL. I am not there this week (on a business trip) but my wife is. Worked yesterday and last night but she woke up to 47 in zone 1 and 53 in zone 2. So - with both zones going cold, it seems it could be the thermostat or the sensors. Your thoughts?

Can you tell me if the fans on your fan coils (located behind your registers)are running when you are trying to heat the bus? If not then heat is not being called for...check your system display by your Aqua Hot for any red lights.

If fans are running but no heat then your circulation pump has stopped working. You will have 3 pumps...the closest one to you is the one to check....it does zone 1 & 2. It is hard to hear....use a stethoscope or just tap the pump lightly to see if it comes unstuck.

The second pump is zone 3 and at the back is pump 3 that's the stir pump.
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:02 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Orracle, are you anywhere near Houston, TX? If so I can give you the name of an expert on the system.

Zone 1 and 2 are interior. Zone 3 is the basement and is controlled by the rotary dial on the display panel in the compartment. It should never be set below 40˚. Having gone through what you are going through just last year it turned out to be one of the pumps on the aqua hot. Had both pumps replaced.

The Aqua Hot needs to be run every 4 to 6 weeks to keep it exercised and to keep the diesel fuel from coagulating on the nozzle. Even in the Summer time. Just turn the burner on, wait for it to complete its cycle and turn it off. While it is cycling I exercise the thermostat by setting to a high temperature for a few minutes.

The Aqua Hot needs to be serviced annually.

The experts name in Houston area is Rudy Legett and I have his phone number if you need it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:52 PM   #12
Dives2Little

AquaHot issues

Another possibility is that your pumps have died. I would guess you have the old style pumps (like the four I replaced in my '16 Ellipse). Check the AH panel in the electrical compartment and see if you have red lights. You may also hear the pump(s) growling.
Dives2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:35 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

The AH heats all three zones but can only be controlled by two of the thermostats. It may seem like a silly question but you do have the diesel switch turned on along with he electric switch? My electric can heat the basement and the diesel heats the inside and the water. 2015 Winnebago Tour 42QD
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 06:19 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Camo I have a 2012 Tour 42QD and I have three zones plus the storage bay. The storage bay on mine is controlled by a control knob in the bay. #3 zone on mine is the front of the coach. However 2013 may be different.
Raylc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 06:22 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Also on mine I have a switch on my thermostat that goes from elec. to gas. If it gets below 45 outside I switch to gas and I also run my fireplace and stay plenty warm. On elec. it won't keep up as these are heat pumps.
Raylc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:40 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

[QUOTE=Orracle;3854957]Hey everyone,

I listed this as a heating issue but have had issues with AC as well. I trust this is a thermostat issue. The 2013 has 3 zones. Heat works in zone 1 and 2 but not an option for 3 (I think is the cab).

Any suggestions for heat not triggering despite being well below desired temp? AC issue we had intermittently was AC would come on and NOT turn off despite desired temp setting.

A service guy said there are sensors in the rig for the zones. One might be a little nubbin under the TV behind the driver's chair.

I realize I am all over here- just trying to explain the symptoms. From any experience out there, do you think it is the actual thermostat on the wall in the control center or problems with the sensors?

Thanks!
Each of the outflow units that feed each zone have back flow valves and they get stuck. Gently tap the fitting where it leaves the boiler and it will open the valve. This is a common problem and hopefully solves yours.]
Bent Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:37 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Orracle, where are you located?
Old 03-09-2020, 09:24 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

The Heating/Cooling setup on you 2013 is the same as my 2014. Unfortunately, it's a bit complicated, and many people don't understand it. Let me try to explain.

The thermostat has three zones, typically Zone 1 is the rear, Zone 3 is in front. (I have heard of these being reversed.) An earlier post described where the sensors are.

A/C is straightforward. One roof top A/C for each zone on the thermostat.

For heating, the thermostat only allows heating for two zones, typically 1 and 2. Each Zone has two modes, Electric or Gas, Gas being the Aqua-Hot. Electric turns on the appropriate rooftop unit, the front and rear being the only units with heat pumps.

The Aqua-Hot has three pumps. The one closest to the center of the coach only circulates fluid within the tank, to help with heat transfer and more consistent fluid temperature within the tank. The other two pumps circulate fluid to the various heating coils throughout the coach. Each coil has a set of fans that blow across the coils to provide heat.

One of the Aqua-hot fluid loops goes to the front of the coach, above the stairs, then to a booster pump located just above your water pump, then into the living room slide to supply the heating coils nearest the sink and in the arm of the sofa, then returns to the tank.

The second Aqua-Hot fluid loop supplies the heating coils at the rear of the coach, to include under the washer, under the bed, and in the half bath. It goes on the supply the basement heating coils. So either the basement heating thermostat or the Zone 1 thermostat can start the circulation pump, but appreciable heat only comes out when the electric fans behind the coils come on.

So, if you are getting basement heat, that Aqua-hot loop pump is working.

Note, the thermostat in the coach panel does not control the basement heat, the dial thermostat next to the AH panel in the basement does. Calling the basement heat Zone 3 just confuses things.

Also, if you are running either zone in Electric heat mode, and the temperature is about 5 degrees or more less than setpoint, the thermostat will also try to use the Aqua-Hot to catch up.
TourCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 04:46 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Regarding "zones," it is a programmable feature on the thermostat controller. I had to have work done on the AC's and when I went in for my check I noticed the zones were 3 rear, 2 center and 1 Front. I asked the technician and he said he could change it. Pushed a few buttons and made it just the revers as it was originally 1 rear, 2 center and 3 front.

Just for information purposes.

Tags
heat, winnebago