Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-27-2022, 01:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2 AC's on 30 amp Minnie 2529RG

Just bought a 2529 RG Travel Trailer that has 2 AC units. Used it last weekend at my BIL's. He has 30amp service, the living room ac worked fine, but the bedroom unit ran but it seem like it's compressor wasn't running. To have both units functioning, does the trailer need to be hooked up to 50amp service?

The trailer does have a hard wired EMS. Thanks
Gigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 02:35 PM   #2
Site Team

Yes, never attempt to run both ACs on 30 amp service; just run one at-a-time.
Old 04-27-2022, 04:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Makes sense. I believe I tried the bedroom ac by itself and it seemed like the compressor wasn't activated....blew air, not cold.
Wondering if the second ac is "locked" out unless it senses 50 amps??
Old 04-27-2022, 05:14 PM   #4
Site Team

I do not have any first-hand experience with this, but I have heard that a capacitor can burn-up if the voltage drops too low. Perhaps you could check under the A/C cover to see if there is a capacitor that seems to have a burn mark on it.
Bummer.
Eagle5
Old 04-27-2022, 07:00 PM   #5
Site Team

Generally, on 30-amp you can run one A/C at a time. Just not both.

Some Minnie 2529RG come with 2-A/Cs but only 30-amp cord and service. With this setup you are expected to run one at a time.

With true 50-amp service (you'll have a 50-amp cord/plug) you can run both at the same time.
Old 04-28-2022, 08:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, appreciate the input.
Old 04-28-2022, 09:40 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

You can probably get them both to run simultaneously if you install a soft start on both. But you will not be able to run much else at the same time.

David
Old 05-01-2022, 04:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

we have a 2529rg, but with only 1 a/c unit. I have read that they are available with 2 but why?? if 50a is not onboard it really does not help unless you want to live in whatever area has the a/c. Is Winnebago just saving money by not installing 50a on these units ? Or just adding to owner frustration?
n9wdq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 04:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The 2529RG is now a 50 AMP unit when ordered with 2 ACs. They made that change in December.
IOS 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 04:59 PM   #10
Site Team

I think there is demand from dealers/buyers for an A/C in the bedroom for sleeping but not for the price increase to accommodate 50 amp service.
Old 05-02-2022, 11:45 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

2 ac

Interesting that newer models with 2 ac are wired for 50 amp.
A couple of questions...hopefully not too dumb.
If I use a 50 amp adapter will that allow the use of both ac units? I'm not sure if I would ever do this, just asking. Have always had trailers with 1 ac, seemed fine.

The previous owner installed a hardwired EMS unit which I believe is 30amp. So I would have to turn the EMS off when hooked into 50amp?
Bringing the trailer in for other warranty items soon, just trying to be clear up what is going on with the bedroom ac. Thanks
Old 05-02-2022, 12:19 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Good questions. Using a 50amp adapter only allows you to safely use power from a 50-amp outlet for a 30-amp rig. It does not deliver 50-amps into your trailer, so it does not change anything regarding the use of your 2 ACs simultaneously. Why would you ever need this? I have more than once encountered a faulty 30-amp receptacle at a campground and used the 50-amp adapter to avoid moving the rig to a working site.

You do not need to turn off the EMS when connected to 50-amp service using an adapter because, as outlined above, you are not actually delivering 50 amps into the rig. You are adapting a 50 amp plug to safely deliver 30-amp service to your rig.

Hope this makes sense.
IOS 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 12:29 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Makes total sense. Bottom line, use only 1 ac at a time. I have also been forced to use a 50amp receptacle before, bad 30 amp service. Thanks for the come back.
Old 05-02-2022, 06:23 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigman View Post
Interesting that newer models with 2 ac are wired for 50 amp.
A couple of questions...hopefully not too dumb.
If I use a 50 amp adapter will that allow the use of both ac units? I'm not sure if I would ever do this, just asking. Have always had trailers with 1 ac, seemed fine.

The previous owner installed a hardwired EMS unit which I believe is 30amp. So I would have to turn the EMS off when hooked into 50amp?
Bringing the trailer in for other warranty items soon, just trying to be clear up what is going on with the bedroom ac. Thanks

No, your available current is limited by the main breaker panel, both main breaker and branch circuit breakers.
First, determine if the 2nd A/C unit is functioning properly by itself, before spending money on anything else. If it cools satisfactorily by itself, then turn on the 2st A/C unit - NOTHING else, and observe results.
Since a rooftop A/C unit draws approx. 12-13A when cooling it's theoretically possible to run both at once on 30A service, IF they don't try to start at the same time..
Your EMS should be limiting your continuous electrical draw to 28A maximum sustained current draw if it is operating as designed.
A caveat; the normal operating limits of 120VAC service is + or - 10%. Outside those voltage limits inductive motors(air conditioning compressors) are slowly being irreversibly and progressively ruined.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 06:08 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Ray, Thank you for the reply. The trailer is at my BIL's. He has a 30amp service, but a very long (60 foot) heavy duty extension cord to reach the trailer. I realize that has some electrical loss.

The trailer has an EMS hardwired and I tried each of the AC units, one at a time, with no other power draw.
The EMS indicated 117 volts, 60cycles. When I turned on the living room ac the EMS indicated 18amp draw. Turning off the LR unit, I then turned on the BR unit...EMS indicated 8 amps..fan was running. I assume that means the compressor wasn't...I ran it about 2-3 minutes.

I have an appointment for service on the 18th...Thanks again for the reply.
Old 05-06-2022, 09:18 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

This is another area where they really don't have good information for their customers.
My understanding is the EMS system is supposed to limit the startup of the bedroom AC unit so they both aren't starting up at the same time. I also understand that there should be a block on running something like the microwave while the 2 AC units are running.
I have run both AC units at the same time and have cooling from both of them. We had an unexpected guest stop at our house and checked out the trailer. We turned them both on to cool down quick and it did a good job with the bedroom area dropping 10 degrees (getting both main air and bedroom AC) and the main area dropping 6 degrees within something like 20 minutes. They were both blowing cold air... now long term after reading this thread I am a little more worried and since Winnebago went to the 50a on newer 2529RG production you really wonder if this is a good idea.
The frustrating thing is that you pay extra for a 2nd AC unit and then to not be able to use it when you have guests in the main area and want them to have some AC you can't run the bedroom and can't open the vent either. When looking to purchase I was worried because of the limited number of vents in the bedroom compared to the main area with not a huge difference in square feet (I think it is 5 to 2).
Old 05-06-2022, 09:51 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Looks like, if your unit was built after Dec. 2021, you may have 50 amp service.
Old 05-06-2022, 09:54 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Looks like, if your unit was built after Dec. 2021, you may have 50 amp service.
We are definitely 30a it is what the trailer is and what I have installed at my house for many years now.
Old 05-07-2022, 03:31 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Ray, Thank you for the reply. The trailer is at my BIL's. He has a 30amp service, but a very long (60 foot) heavy duty extension cord to reach the trailer. I realize that has some electrical loss.

The trailer has an EMS hardwired and I tried each of the AC units, one at a time, with no other power draw.
The EMS indicated 117 volts, 60cycles. When I turned on the living room ac the EMS indicated 18amp draw. Turning off the LR unit, I then turned on the BR unit...EMS indicated 8 amps..fan was running. I assume that means the compressor wasn't...I ran it about 2-3 minutes.

I have an appointment for service on the 18th...Thanks again for the reply.
That 60' extension cord presents a problem, voltage drop is a real thing.
Rather that try to explain, use this voltage drop calculator to see what happens to voltage when using an extension cordl
The industry standard is 120VAC plus or minus 10%. Outside those parameters damage to inductive motors (A/C compressors) are slowly being damaged.
Every time an inductive motor is operated on low voltage it is slowly being "bruised"/damaged, and this damage is cumulative At some point this "brusing" becomes bad enough the motor fails.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote