Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-24-2022, 09:41 AM   #1
Dutchboy

2 A/Cs on my 30 amp system.

I have a 2020 Winnebago Intent (29 ft) with 30-amp service with two Coleman A/C on top. Can I run them both together without throwing a breaker?? I have been told I can't but why are these units produced with 2 A/Cs if you can NOT run them together??
vancas4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 11:02 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Depends on the A/C's capacity. A Coleman 15,000 btu unit draws 13.8 amps while running but 2.5 times that for starting. You could start and run the first one, but I doubt the second.

The smallest Coleman is 9,200 btu and draws about 11 amps, more in hot weather. I doubt if you could run two of these on 30 amps either. And if you did your other AC loads would probably trip the breaker.

Why do RV manufacturer's make them with two A/C's if they can't run them together? To bamboozle customers is why.

David
Old 03-24-2022, 12:35 PM   #3
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Have you looked into one of these?

https://www.softstartrv.com/
Old 03-24-2022, 03:40 PM   #4
Site Team

Rather than make the Intent more expensive by making it a 50-amp motorhome, they have installed two A/C units on a 30-amp coach.

The system is intended to run ONE AT A TIME. Hence the 30-amp service. The idea is during the day you run the one in the living room and at night you run the one in the bedroom while sleeping. But just one at a time.

This has been done before in other 30-amp coaches and the system works as designed.

You may be able to change this by changing your coach to 50-amp service but obviously that's at higher cost. Alternatively, you could do as Wyatt suggested and add $600 worth ($300/ea) of A/C RV Soft Start devices. But keep in mind that running both A/Cs at the same time will consume the majority of the power available on a 30-amp circuit and you'll find that you cannot run other high power devices... i.e. the microwave, etc at the same time.

The entire design scheme of the Intent is to provide a smaller, less expensive and, yes, less capable Class A motorhome to compete with both larger Class C's and other brand's " small Class As." This design concept runs throughout the Intent model lineup.
Old 03-24-2022, 11:19 PM   #5
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Are you sure about the running amps for two AC units? They don’t draw that much when actually “on”, it’s the start up that’s the killer and will trip breakers if you’re doing anything else…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	75BF5E29-382B-405D-B31F-B6E79BADE294.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	182335  
Old 03-25-2022, 06:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Are you sure about the running amps for two AC units? They don’t draw that much when actually “on”, it’s the start up that’s the killer and will trip breakers if you’re doing anything else…
I took the data in post #2 directly from the Coleman website.

David
Old 03-25-2022, 08:35 AM   #7
Site Team

One thing to keep in mind. The Power Control System (PCS) isn't going to push your AC usage to a full 30-amps when you are on a 30-amp plug. It wants to limit output to more like 28 amps and it starts shedding loads at ~25-amps.

Also, it's not calculating amps in real time. It has a memory and it catalogs the actual amperage used by various appliances in the past. I know it stores this info for the previous usage for each appliance on the system.

So, if the PCS expects each A/C to use 13-amps peak it will likely not attempt too let both start up and run at the same time.
Old 03-26-2022, 07:00 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Prior to my current Vista, I had a 2008 Sunova 35J. It was a 30 amp service and had dual A/C units. I ran both many times, including a 2 week stint in Florida in July. Mine did come from the factory with an Energy Management System very similiar to this: https://intellitec.com/wp-content/up...-00911-000.pdf
The system is designed to shut down systems when you are “maxing out” the power to try and balance out loads.

Admittedly even with the above it was a game of “shuffling power”, you weren’t going to run both A/C’s, the electric hot water heater and the microwave all at the same time, but with a little work around energy management by shutting off things (you can turn the hot water heater off on a hot day or run on gas for example) as well as leaning on the EMS above, but it can absolutely be done and can be done reasonably well. Like Wyatt said above, You do absolutely have to start the ACs one at a time and wait a few min in between, they draw a LOT of power at start but then drop once up and running.

We often ran 1 AC when needing power for other systems in the AM, then ran both to keep coach comfy during day. Does it work as well as a 50amp where you have more power then you ever need? No, it doesn’t. Can it work perfectly well with a little adapting? Yes, yes it can. (Does it teach your kids to not leave all the lights on when not in a a room? Yes, yes it does!)

We’ve had a few instances of only being able to have 30 amp service while camping in the summer, we use the same tricks above.

That being said, if you have every appliance on, both ACs on and try to run the vacuum, the coach goes black REALLY fast and it’s a trip to the power pole. Ask me and my wife how we know. =)
Old 03-30-2022, 04:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Have you tried running both? You might find you are ok. If the breaker trips, reset it. Now you know for sure. I have a 30A Class A and can run both AC's. It runs at 24-25 amps including the 3-4 amps my absorption fridge takes. Like others have mentioned, with a 30A rig and running 2 AC's you will have to do the power shuffle.
JimStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 04:58 PM   #10
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
I took the data in post #2 directly from the Coleman website.

David
I meant with the soft start installed.

I believe that that model Intent came with a 15,000 BTU Coleman and the option for a second 13,000 BTU, if I'm not mistaken...
Old 03-30-2022, 05:05 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I bring mine up about 2-3 minutes apart and only have an issue if I use the Microwave, coffee maker, etc.
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 05:23 PM   #12
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Q. Does anyone actually know that running two AC's on 30 amps won't do some long term damage with lower available current?
Old 03-30-2022, 05:47 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Wyatt, I use one of these, which monitors the voltage/current and cuts out when needed (both input/output):

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07PRS5N...roduct_details
Old 03-30-2022, 09:14 PM   #14
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxWinny View Post
Wyatt, I use one of these, which monitors the voltage/current and cuts out when needed (both input/output):

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07PRS5N...roduct_details
I have that too, and they’re voltage booster as well. But it doesn’t answer the question about what’s happening to the AC units right?

For example if you don’t have one of these what happens? Second question is if you do have one, do they cut out soon enough for the AC units?
Old 03-31-2022, 04:28 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I could run both AC units while on generator with no problem on a previously owned Winnebago Adventurer. While on 30 amp shore power, I had to choose which AC to run by flipping a switch.
Old 03-31-2022, 06:08 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancas4 View Post
I have a 2020 Winnebago Intent (29 ft) with 30-amp service with two Coleman A/C on top. Can I run them both together without throwing a breaker?? I have been told I can't but why are these units produced with 2 A/Cs if you can NOT run them together??
This is a pick and choose situation. You have to manage your loads while running the A/C units. Start each unit delayed. You want to try to avoid both compressors coming on at the same time. Most of the time the start surge won't trip a breaker unless it is going bad or you have a potential failure developing in the A/C unit.
Managing the loads includes setting the inverter shore power current to a low setting if your remote provides that option. I changed my Magnum inverter remote to the one with more control features. I set my shore limit to as low as 5 Amps for battery charging when on 30A service.
My A/C units pull about 11A each with the compressors running. So that is 22A with both units up and 5A if the batteries are charging. That totals 27A. My inverter will assist if need be on 30A service. I can watch TV and still be within the 30A, but that is pushing it. With the inverter assist I can the microwave because of the size of my house battery.
I can see you needing both units if it is very hot out. Once the coach is cooled enough you can shut one unit down to run some other device, like a toaster or hair drier.

The key is to watch the shore power meter on your One Place panel. Manage your loads as needed.
Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 03-31-2022, 06:50 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
I have that too, and they’re voltage booster as well. But it doesn’t answer the question about what’s happening to the AC units right?

For example if you don’t have one of these what happens? Second question is if you do have one, do they cut out soon enough for the AC units?
It's a valid question. The reason I bought one was for some protection. The resort I'm staying at is upgrading their service wiring, and spikes/drops have been common. All I've got is a couple of anecdotal "Joe lost his AC" comments.
Old 03-31-2022, 07:07 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancas4 View Post
I have a 2007 vista 33t I run both ac units on generator 5500 all the time and I'm on 30amp service so I don't know why there is so much debate about it.if you throw a breaker just reset it and run I unit at a time.problem solved.
tedskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 08:06 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastvalve View Post
Prior to my current Vista, I had a 2008 Sunova 35J. It was a 30 amp service and had dual A/C units. I ran both many times, including a 2 week stint in Florida in July.
2009 Winnebago 35J here and I've always been able to run both A/C units on 30-amp shore power. When it's really hot, I run the refrigerator and hot water heater on gas. If we're going to use the microwave a lot, I shut down one of the A/Cs. The load management can do it, but I'd rather stop the A/C altogether for a few minutes than to have load management trying to bring an A/C back up every time what's in the microwave gets checked or exchanged for something else that needs to be hot.

Several people have mentioned running on the generator - the generator kind of makes your 30-amp unit operate more like a 50-amp unit because it has a 20-amp circuit that the rear air runs on and a 30-amp circuit for the rest of the coach.