Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-06-2020, 09:30 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

pubtime

The water pump idea is rather brilliant. Do I need to shut off the city water line before that test will work? In my case it is probably not the source of the problem due to the smell, but better to rule it out and it sounds like an easy test to run.'
Dallas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:34 PM   #22
Winnebago owner

I guess I never saw in your original post that you said Ceiling, I just assumed that the smell and other descriptions meant black tank. Sorry about misdirecting you.

With that in mind I looked again at the tanks. I've annotated the picture with what I think you're seeing. I've added where the floor (and consequently the ceiling over the tanks is as a red line) and it appears that the ceiling of the bay has to be several inches above the top of the tank, if my assumption is correct.

If that's the case, and you're getting water (discharge) on the ceiling I think I'd check the toilet. That's the most logical place that water smelling like (lets just say it) Urine and discolored would get onto the ceiling. If the seal is leaking when you flush and the water seeps out, through the hole and spreads on the ceiling below that might explain how it's getting there.

Does your toilet keep water above the ball when after it's flushed?

If you can make sure it's toilet water then Depending on your toilet you can search for a video on removing that model and check around the base. It's not too difficult, but it is messy and you'll probably want to have new hardware and seals when you put it back together.

If your tanks aren't full, even if they are and the top of the bay is a couple of inches above it does not seem that the water is coming from the tank. If you can confirm it's toilet water then it seems to me that it's got to be leaking from the base of the stool.

Now I could be wrong (I was the last thing I told you, but that's because clearly I don't read everything), but it's a place to start.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture4.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	173437  
Old 05-06-2020, 09:46 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

pubtime

That's similar to what I'm thinking. My brother tried to talk me into taking apart the toilet to look at the seals, but I didn't like that idea because my handyman skills are suspect and at some point we are going to need to take a leak, or worse, and we will be up s*** creek without a toilet. HA HA. It doesn't take much to make me laugh.

The only correction I would make to your analysis is that the toilet in our bathroom sits on about a 4 to 6 inch raised box, and there is a smaller box to the side that may cover an exit pipe. I'll post a photo, if you like, but again we eventually we run into the problem of my suspect handyman skills.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:57 PM   #24
Winnebago owner

Your owners pack should identify the model of toilet you have. Do a youtube search and I'd guess someone, somewhere had made a video taking that apart. You may instead find step by step procedures. It's really almost as easy as a home toilet (for the most part), but it is messy and if you can get it done under warranty that's always better.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:00 PM   #25
Winnebago owner

here's what it kind of looks like from below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture 6.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	173438  
Old 05-07-2020, 12:38 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubtime View Post
here's what it kind of looks like from below.
Those computer generated drawings are fantastic. It looks like the reality is, if I took it apart it woudn't be hard to put it back together. I might not fix it, but we would still be able to use it. Is there any way to reduce the stink while I'm working on it?

I will try the water pump test and the tidy bowl test first to narrow down the suspected location of the problem. If it points to the toilet I will probably dig around for videos as you suggest and find a non-travel day when I can throw 2 or 3 hours at the problem. If I actually fixed it I would feel like King Of The RV Plumbers.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:58 AM   #27
Salianron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Steve View Post
I bought a new 2020 Winnebago Intent 30R on March 13, 2020. By April 13 it started to leak. I found puddles of water in the service compartment and the two storage compartments in front of the rear wheels. I took my belongings out and dried them and left the compartments empty until I can buy plastic containers.

I observed that water was dripping from the ceilings inside the storage compartments. Not a gush of water, just a drip that would leave maybe 1/4" of water in the compartments in 24 hours. I noticed the water appeared to be brownish when I would towel it out. Now it has a smell that reminds me of ammonia. My wife said it smells like bad toilet smell.

So I'm guessing it's coming from the toilet/black tank connection, but that's just my guess. I called the Winnebago dealer in Georgetown, TX, Crestview RV, and they said I would have to leave the rig with them for a day or two while they check it out and then it might be several weeks before they can get it fixed. We live in the RV full time and will have to stay in hotels.

I contacted Winnebago customer service. In the spirit of helping their customers during this difficult time they basically said I have to accept whatever the dealer offers. We're planning to leave Georgetown soon for cooler weather. Maybe I will try the dealer in the next 30 day park we stop at.

So what can I ask you? Are there any easy fixes I might try? Should I throw in the towel and call a mobile RV tech? I knew before I bought it that it would probably be hard for me to get warranty service in this situation, but I thought Winnebago made a better product. I didn't expect a major water leak after one month.

If somebody wants to buy this beauty I am a motivated seller. It's really a nice rig if you don't mind a smelly water leak. Is it that hard to have a good seal from the toilet tank? Maybe that's really not the problem.
Since you are heading up north anyway go to the Winnebago factory for warranty repair. The waiting area may be closed, but you can get the leak repaired in one day. Register one day and get an appointment time for the next day. Stay overnight on site or at their campground. When I was there two years ago, many of us spent most of the day in their waiting area and had lunch delivered. You may need to wait off-site now, but the repair will be done quickly.
Salianron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:48 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salianron View Post
Since you are heading up north anyway go to the Winnebago factory for warranty repair. The waiting area may be closed, but you can get the leak repaired in one day. Register one day and get an appointment time for the next day. Stay overnight on site or at their campground. When I was there two years ago, many of us spent most of the day in their waiting area and had lunch delivered. You may need to wait off-site now, but the repair will be done quickly.
I might do that, if I can't get warranty service with a reasonable wait time from somewhere a little closer. I thought it was in Indiana, but their website says Forest City, Iowa. Is that correct?
Old 05-07-2020, 10:27 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Hi Dallas Steve,

Saw your post after driving and finding moisture on the passenger side.

There could be a few sources: water is leaking, traveling along the top of the tanks and then down over the sides; water is leaking from a discharge/drain line, then traveling over the top of the subfloor, finding its way to the other side as you make turns on the road, etc. I'm sure you could use most any liquid with color to try and trace the system that's safe for PVC.

Just make sure you backwash the tank thoroughly until only clear water comes out. This can take several "backflushes" as each will dislodge waste. Better yet if you have a Tornado Rotary Tank Flush rinsing system; does a better job than just a 'hydroflush" that attaches to your dump line with a garden hose. You can also use a high pressure nozzle wand down the toilet. Only then add the color. I'd suggest either Aqua Chem or "pink stuff", then fill the tank to at least 1/2 full, take your drive for 20 minutes and start checking. I also agree with one of the comments to check for cracks in the flexible connection between the tank and the discharge line...that was also one of the points where I had an issue.

A final note. If you have the dreaded "black pyramid" buildup of tissue and waste (not uncommon, believe me), you'll want to take measures to install a "Tornado" if you don't already have such a flushing valve. We spent 11 months in our motorhome last year after installing the Tornado and have never had a problem since.

Keep chasing the problem...you'll get there!
Old 05-07-2020, 12:21 PM   #30
Salianron

Yes. Forest City is a small town in northeast Iowa. The Winnebago factory is near US 69 about a mile south of state hwy 9.
Salianron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:27 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Our 2019 intent leaked too took it to the dealer we cought from in the fall. Ty he ey couldn't find a leak ha.. we bring it home last week. Guess what we find. The same leak. We take it again to the dealer and show them where we find water... I knew there was a leak because the pump ran every so often..... They be unscrew the platform where the toilet sits. And guess what one of the fittings is striped. ...fixed and lines looked at in 30 minutes. ..but we're were taking it in for the back up camera. Which got condensation in it and you could see anything on the monitor... How who knows. New camera ordered thank God for extended warranty
Gjanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:07 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

rvbud

When I test the colored water I'll flush the black tank first. This Winnebago comes with a connection on the side to flush the black tank by connecting a water hose. The problem I have is I don't know exactly when it's full or half full. It has the 1/3, 2/3 lights on the control center, but they are already acting up after 2 months. The show 1/3 sometimes after dumping the tanks. But, I can keep doing the flush until it comes out clear, as I've done before.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:38 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salianron View Post
Yes. Forest City is a small town in northeast Iowa. The Winnebago factory is near US 69 about a mile south of state hwy 9.

Winnebago builds all of its motorhomes at Forest City, Iowa. The trailers are built in Middlebury, Indiana.

I highly recommend taking the Winnebago plant tour at Forest City. Very enlightening!
Old 05-08-2020, 02:07 AM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Hi Steve,

The fact your sensors are not working properly is likely the result of waste or paper that has adhered to the interior wall that prevents an accurate reading by the sensor. This can happen even after just a few trips with a new coach if the tank has not been completely flushed.

As disgusting as the attached image is, here's a picture of my black tank taken at the time I installed the Tornado....mind you, prior to this, I diligently cleaned and back-flushed my tank at every interval, until the water flowed clearly.

I've tried several methods for tank cleaning...a recommended dishwasher soap treatment left a film on the interior of the tank; sensors did not work consistently...other several methods too.

What worked best for me was: 1. empty and flush tank; 2. fill to 1/2 or 2/3 with warm water and about 2-3 quarts of Simple Green (unlike detergents, it won't foam up too much; safe for rubber and seals); 3. Drive a few hours to next campground (curvy mountain roads work great); 4. Empty and flush on arrival. I then take a flexible high pressure hose that has horizontal holes to spray the interior of the tank and connect to a garden hose. If you don't have hot water available (don't use RV HWH, too small capacity), that's ok. With your sewer line connected, open the black tank valve. Insert the hose into the toilet and turn on water to maximum flow. (Make sure you are not connected to street water or have the 12v water pump on as inserting the hose into the open flap valve of the toilet may create issues.)

As best you can, rotate the pressure hose and agitate for at least 30-45 minutes. if you have a clear plastic coupler between the black tank valve and the hose to sewer, you'll see the debris break apart and flow. Not the most beautiful sight, but you'll know it's working.

This should clean the tank interior so the sensors work properly. In the future, know it's ok to let your black tank get to at least 2/3 before flushing, unless, of course you do not plan on traveling in the very near future. When camping, NEVER have your sewer connected with the valve open before the tank has a chance to get to 2/3. Emptying the tank too often and before it is full does not give enough time for tissue to dissolve. Don't have concern about using too much water when flushing unless you're dry camping somewhere. Whenever emptying the black tank, be sure the flush hose is connected and water flowing as the tank empties. I do that for about 10 minutes each time.

After 30 years trying different products, home brew and commercial, I am now using Happy Camper for the black tank. Also use a separate hose for connection to the tank, never the same hose as you connect to your street water valve.

Tank maintenance is tedious; just part of the RV experience! Hope this helps.

Old 05-08-2020, 06:59 AM   #35
Winnebago Owner

Rvbud, I am curious how you took that internal black water holding tank picture. I'd probably take one of mine too if it was easy. What I'd really like is a shot of my grey water tank. That would be more difficult I guess.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:27 AM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topsail View Post
Rvbud, I am curious how you took that internal black water holding tank picture. I'd probably take one of mine too if it was easy. What I'd really like is a shot of my grey water tank. That would be more difficult I guess.

My guess would be he used someting similar to this. I'd think this would be a nice "tool" to have in my RV toolbox (or any toolbox) https://www.amazon.com/DEPSTECH-Wate...8944312&sr=8-3
I would think that you might be able to snake this down the shower or sink drain to get into the grey tank too.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:37 PM   #37
Winnebago Owner

Those snake cameras are interesting. I'll probably get one or something like that too.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:07 PM   #38
Site Team

I have one of those cameras and it’s come in handy when tracking down a water leak. In my case, it was the hose clamp connecting my two fresh water tanks. While I couldn’t quite maneuver it to the spot to verify that, I did eliminate all other possibilities. The dealer had to remove the rear wheel and wheel well to get to it. Also, since it was a “clamp” it wasn’t covered by warranty, though the dealer kept the cost low. Best of luck to you!
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:19 PM   #39
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topsail View Post
Those snake cameras are interesting. I'll probably get one or something like that too.

They can be had from Amazon in several lengths and are relatively inexpensive. I bought a 4 footer for about $20.

All you're buying is the borescope itself which plugs into your smartphone. Then you simply use the camera function to see what you need to see.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:44 AM   #40
Winnebago Owner

Picture taken with my iPhone after boring the hold for mounting the Tornado. I was shocked! Never have made an effort with the gray tank. As you see, I had access to the tank through a cover plate in the rear wheel well.

Tags
leak, winnebago