Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2007, 07:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Leaky bathroom faucet

Hi Guys and Gals,
I've got a bathroom faucet that leaks from the hot water valve side. Is there a way to take the valve apart and replace an o-ring or something? This isn't one of the fancy fausets, it's made of plastic and has brass paint on it. Looks nice though.
After turning off the water, do I open the hot water valve all of the way up and then continue opening/unscrewing it until the valve stem comes out with the o-rings on it? I'm just guessing and I don't want to break it. I can always go get another faucet from Winnebago I hope. The dripping doesn't always occur and I suppose it's really no big deal but my wife's ears are better than mine, especially when she's trying to get to sleep.
Okay RV guru's, it's in your ballpark now...catch!
AKBrick
Old 08-26-2007, 07:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hi Guys and Gals,
I've got a bathroom faucet that leaks from the hot water valve side. Is there a way to take the valve apart and replace an o-ring or something? This isn't one of the fancy fausets, it's made of plastic and has brass paint on it. Looks nice though.
After turning off the water, do I open the hot water valve all of the way up and then continue opening/unscrewing it until the valve stem comes out with the o-rings on it? I'm just guessing and I don't want to break it. I can always go get another faucet from Winnebago I hope. The dripping doesn't always occur and I suppose it's really no big deal but my wife's ears are better than mine, especially when she's trying to get to sleep.
Okay RV guru's, it's in your ballpark now...catch!
AKBrick
Old 08-27-2007, 01:53 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

They work or don't work just like a house faucet. When one starts dripping at night just tie a piece of string up on the nozzle near the drip and let the dripping water run down the string. Works great and a good temp fix.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:11 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

You should be able to pull the washer or cartridge out just like a home faucet and get the parts at a local hardware/pluming supply.

It is not hard to fix. If it has a washer and a seat, you should replace the seat at the same time.

Since this is not a problem unique to the Winnebago, I'm linking it to the general RV area to get better exposure.

Ken
Old 08-27-2007, 05:16 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
You can either REPAIR or REPLACE the faucet.

Repair is the cheapest assuming you can find the parts.

Depending on how much you want to spend you can get a very nice replacement faucet. That's what I did. You can get a very nice faucet at Wal Mart, Home Depot or Lowes for under $40. I chose a little higher end version as I wanted the finish, a single handle version and the height of the faucet.

I took about an hour to install and a about 2 hours fix the LEAK...... Some how I knocked a rubber washer off the hot water supply line. Once I put that back it was "No runs, No drips,No errors".
Old 08-27-2007, 05:25 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Like oemtech, I replaced my 2 bathroom faucets. Go here to see a photo. These are nice Delta Brand washerless faucets. They can be purchased at Lowes or Home Depot.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:45 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Guys,
Good tips all around.
Dale, that new faucet looks excellent! Did the RV hoses and fittings screw right onto the faucet fittings or did you have to do any replacement/modification on those too? Great idea on getting the higher neck version. I have to lean pretty darn low to get my hair wet if I don't want to take a shower in the morning. I thank you all for your tips!
By the way, we're going to Mintor Gardens in Chilliwack B.C. today to see what they did this year. The beauty took my breath away last time we were there.
Flat roads everyone,
AKBrick
Old 08-27-2007, 11:05 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I got it at Lowes for about $90... and yes everything fit right up. Kind of pain to install as I am just a bit bigger than the opening in the base cabinet
Old 08-27-2007, 03:31 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

A note to those to whom it may apply,

On some models Winnebago uses Moen faucets. If one starts to leak Moen will send you a replacement cartridge kit at no charge.

Frank F.
Cascade Meadows RV Resort
La Pine, OR
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:25 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Your original question was how to fix the faucet.Start by turning off the water.Next remove the handle by removing the center cap and screw .There should be a nut under the handle.Remove it and remove the stem.It will have a washer or cartridge.Reinstall with new parts and turn water back on.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:20 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Hi bldrbob,
Oops,
I forgot to tell everyone that the faucet has hot and cold valves and not the single handle cartridge type faucet.
I would like to change it to a single handle type faucet though.
Thanks,
AKBrick
Old 08-28-2007, 03:24 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

If you change out to the single handle faucet, you may have some holes on the sides -- you can fill them with metal "push ins" that are also available from HD or Lowes. Also, if you don't have a Moen faucet, Camping World carries rebuild kits for the other kind -- I think the brand is Phoenix or something like that.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:08 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

We replaced our double handle bathroom faucet with a single handle faucet from Moen, same brand as what was in the kitchen sink. No holes to worry about as both single or double faucets need hot and cold water coming to them. Easy fix and a popular one too!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:03 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

At both Lowes and Home Depot there is a 'close-out table' and you will find some great faucets at deep discount. We were lucky and they had two that matched our MH when we were looking. Picked up both, installed both, and saved a bunch.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:28 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

During the course of two weeks I had three faucets develop drips- the bathroom sink, shower, and outside shower. I couldn't find exact O-ring or cartridge replacements at either Lowes or Home Depot. So I used petroleum jelly (Vasoline) to coat all O-ring and cartridge surfaces well, making sure I didn't completely block any passages. That solved all the drips and after 5 months they are still working perfectly. Turned out to be an easy and cheap solution.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:28 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Not be able to find parts is a common problem. I waited 6 months for Newmar to get new a new cartridge for my kitchen faucet. They ultimately replaced the whole faucet.

I would NOT recommend using Vaseline or any other petroleum product. It will make the "O" swell and in time you will have to replace them. Go to a pool supply store and get some "Magic Lube" that they use for pools. This is a silicone lube and sealer. Works like a charm.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:59 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the tip. I'll go find some Magic Lube and keep it in stock. Guess the O-rings swelling is what fixed the drip for now.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:40 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Okay, so since we're at it, has anyone changed out their non extendable kitchen faucet to the hose type sprayer faucet? Jeez, I can't understand why you need to buy a coach that costs ten to twenty grand more for one of these faucets!
AKBrick
aka: Tom
Old 09-08-2007, 07:44 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to let you know that you at irv2.com have come through for me again. I installed a new Delta bathroom faucet from Home Depot (on sale)! Right color match and the correct measurements. I switched frome the double valve type to the single handle type. Looks great. Oh yeah, it's also metal and not plastic too.
Thanks again,
AKBrick
Old 05-16-2017, 03:32 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

The first step in fixing any faucet leak is to determine where the problem is and that is not always easy. You will have to take a close look at the faucet and you will usually find a leak in one of three different areas. The first is at the end of the faucet itself. The second is where the handle (or handles) joins the faucet and the third spot is where the incoming water lines connect to the faucet fixture.

The first two repairs usually just involve replacing O-rings or gaskets and these can usually be done yourself. For incoming plumbing line leaks or if you are not confident in doing the other repairs it is best to call a professional plumber to come do it for you. As mentioned before chances are you can find some useful information online to help you make any necessary repairs too.

With a little research and a little know-how, faucets are not that hard to fix. Just make sure you don’t try to take on any repair that is out of your ability range because you may then actually make the problem leak even worse. Plumbers are usually very reasonable when it comes to fixing small leaks on faucets so it is not worth going to a lot of aggravation to fix them.
RyanBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote