Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-11-2022, 07:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Faulty check valve in city water inlet

Will a leaking city water inlet cause the water pressure in the coach to drop to the point where the pump will run to build the pressure back? There are times when the pump will briefly run when no one is using any water.
fwpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 02:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

The quick answer I believe is NO. Now not being a plumbing expert by any means the fresh water connection and the pump are to different but related items.

If you are connected to fresh water via hose connection the pump should be turned off as you are not drawing water from the on board fresh water tank. You need to make sure your pump is turned off. It may cycle every so often if left on however. Will a leaking fresh water hook up cause drop in water pressure, most likely not enough to notice.

In an other matter it would be helpful to fellow members if in the signature block you provide information about your unit. i.e. year model that kind of stuff.

Good Luck
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 04:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

If you’re talking about the valve that switches between city water and tank fill, then the answer is yes. I replaced the guts of the valve rather than the whole valve because it was easier than getting access to remove the entire valve. There are other reasons the pump may cycle, but this is a possible reason.

2004 Winnebago Journey 32T
JR314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 04:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Yes, it will. If it loses pressure anywhere, even the inlet adapter that your hose connects to. There is a check valve in that which failed on mine, pump would cycle occasionally until I replaced it.
GTobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 05:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

This is an interesting thread. When I first picked up my Journey, a leak at the Ice maker tubing caused the pump to cycle periodically and leaked water under the fridge pretty bad. I finally got that leak to stop and I didn't hear the pump running any more. More forward a few months and I am hearing the pump run again about every 15 to 30 minutes, but cannot find any water anywhere.

I am driving my wife nuts about only turning the pump on when she needs water. Now reading this thread, I am hearing it might be possible for the Normal / Tank Fill valves to be leaking and bleeding off pressure.

Looking forward to more comments regarding this possibility.
Old 04-17-2022, 07:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

This is another case where I feel we have to really to get down to details before deciding as this section of plumbing has so many different small points that vary from one RV to the next!

A leaking check valve on some might let the pressure down and make the pump cycle, but one thing to watch on that point. If it is letting pressure drop, it is likely due to water going out of the line at some point, so when we are saying a leaking check valve at the fill port, it seems likely that would show as water being forced out of that port. We should spot that as a leak, right?

But if we have a case where line pressure is being reduced enough to cycle the pump and we don't have a leak, there is another way we can be having frequent pump cycles, depending on which form of valve we have at the fill port.

Click these snips to get a better view or go direct to the parts and see if this makes sense to you?

The first snip is the overall area where the line comes from the right as I've marked in red and down to the line passing the valve.
Then for closer detail, I zoomed in and continued the red line marking to pass the valve and then the line goes back to the fresh water tank!

I think this is one where the problem is not the check valve but the valve which we change to fill the tank or use as normal in the RV.

But if we look carefully at THIS RV and forget what other RV have, I think we can spot the problem.

My fav for help on parts is here:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

If we drill down to the OP RV and go to plumbing and the supply side, we can get a good look at the tank/pump and lines.

Looking at the drawings and following the lines, I propose that the cause is NOT the check valve on this one as they report no leaks coming out there.

But this RV uses just a simple cutoff valve rather than a diverter valve and IF that valve is not sealing well to cut off water, it can come out of the tank, to the pump, and on to the valve, which is leaking and go back to the tank again in one big continuous loop without ever showing up as a leak to the outside where we might spot it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leak1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	182528   Click image for larger version

Name:	leak2.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	182529  

Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags