Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-08-2007, 12:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New Merdian... cannot get a pressure reading off the outside rear drivers tire... tire does look a little low, but just a little... pressure gauge works like a charm with all 5 other tires... do we have a slow leak, or a faulty valve?... is there such a thing as a faulty valve?... should we take it in for a check?... or are we just too stupid???
Old 07-08-2007, 12:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

New Merdian... cannot get a pressure reading off the outside rear drivers tire... tire does look a little low, but just a little... pressure gauge works like a charm with all 5 other tires... do we have a slow leak, or a faulty valve?... is there such a thing as a faulty valve?... should we take it in for a check?... or are we just too stupid???
Old 07-08-2007, 02:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

What you do know for a fact is that you have a problem. It is almost impossible to look at a tire your size and determine if it is 20 or 30 pounds low, especially on the duals.

First thing to do is to add air until it reads correctly. Then keep an eye on it to determine what's going on. If it continues to lose air, maybe it is a leaking valve. There is a tool that you can use to tighten the valve. If you don't want to mess with that, get your dealer to address the issue.

Congratulations on buying a great coach and welcome to the forum

PS: Wow - Calgary is a large city! We went through there on our way to Alaska last summer.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:20 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

You can have a faulty valve. If the "little thingy" in the center of the valve stem is off center, I would be suspious of it. The internal part of the valve stem is actually called a "valve stem core." I have just had to replace the valve stem extenders on my MH as two of them had slow leaks. If you have extenders on your valve stems and they are not screwed completely in, you will not get a pressure reading. Also, some extenders can be damaged if screwed on too tight.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Rutny
I had an extension which was leaking very slowly the rubber o- ring was bad.
So you can check for a leak by spraying a little soapy water on the valve area and you should see bubbles if it is leaking.

2004 Adventurer 33' W20 03Chassis, 4 Koni's, Ultrapower/Taylor Wires
BobD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:57 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

rutny: One of my inner rear tires dropped 20lbs of pressure as compared to the others (Jan 07). I filled back to my 95lb set and it has held firm ever since, no abnormal air loss.

One other camper said his stem nut loosed up on his inner rear. He was able to tighten by working a thin wrench in the openning between the rims and that solved his problem.

Let us know what you find out.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

UPDATE: Happy to report back... that the extended valve was "loose"... we tightened it, tire is holding air just fine now...

Thank you for all your advice!

I would like to tell you all that a huge factor in us buying this rig was this website! I spent, and still do spend, alot of time checking these messages. I was initially curious as to what types of problems Winnie owners have with their units. You people are very helpful, and very knowledgeable, and also very fast to respond!!

Winnebago owners rock!

Now we are off to Waterton Park this weekend with no worrying about a flat tire!
Old 07-11-2007, 01:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rutny:
UPDATE: Happy to report back... that the extended valve was "loose"... we tightened it, tire is holding air just fine now...

Thank you for all your advice!

I would like to tell you all that a huge factor in us buying this rig was this website! I spent, and still do spend, alot of time checking these messages. I was initially curious as to what types of problems Winnie owners have with their units. You people are very helpful, and very knowledgeable, and also very fast to respond!!

Winnebago owners rock!

Now we are off to Waterton Park this weekend with no worrying about a flat tire! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Friends helping friends!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote

« Park Brake | Koni's »