Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-02-2020, 07:09 PM   #61
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Easy part first? I also have wondered about why no drain holes in the wet bay as it does get some spills now and then and if that spill is big enough to actually feel bad about it going on the ground, it's going out the big hole anyway! But for small spills like a half cup of water, t sure would be easier to just stick a hose in and trickle water to flush out the smell and a 1/4 inch hole sounds good to me. I have a hole in the future plans but not moved to do it yet.

Wire size and other things of possible interest since the flojet was out today?

Interesting point is that ALL the wiring they provide as 14 gauge stranded, so it is one of those where they likely rated the fuse to cover more than enough and the wire size is a decision on how far and how much extra "slack " you want versus higher price.
Since you are likely to be standing there holding it, fire is not a big worry but 12 gauge does mean you have slightly less chance of the pump not getting quite enough current if it is longer like 20-25 feet.
Kick yourself for spending more or kick yourself double hard if it keeps blowing a fuse?
The fun things we do, huh?
So I think I will order the 12 gauge at 25' I plan to connect to Genset, but by buying too much if something goes wrong and I have to go the battery compartment I will have enough. But I got under it today, and if I get to the positive on genset I have path that is safe to run 12- 14 feet of positive to wet bay container. I will find ground somewhere nearby the tank, may have to share the ground with the water pump?

If it comes with 14awg wiring then 10awg would be overkill. Seems like if you really needed 10awg that switch and connector wired would melt first

As far as drain in the wet bank, I am thinking of buying 2 of these 1/2" plugs. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-of-1....c100752.m1982 I would need to play with the coach, but I could see putting one where water puddles when perfectly level and the other when it parked where I usually clean RV. One plug may do both? I am just thinking out loud.

Update:
Ordered 25' of 12awg red & black wire for Jet flow (total of 50')
Ordered two 1/2" Drain plugs
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:48 AM   #62
Winnebago Owner

I have not read every reply. If this was covered - sorry.
I was told to periodically pour ice down the toilet, and go out and drive it around a bit, then go dump it. The scrubbing action breaks loose solids on the bottom. I would think you wouldn't want the tank to full, as the ice would float at higher levels.
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 12:55 PM   #63
Winnebago Master

I would go with both the 12 gauge as fully good enough and the plug looks like a neat way to go but I might just go one for the following. When I spill but in the wet bay, it is often yuck stuff that stinks and I would like to rinse the plastic floor out and let the water drain but I also will want to wipe it down, so one plug would likely do the whole job without having a second plug sticking up to be in the way?
You've prompted me to want to redo and put in a permanent outlet in the wet bay to plug the pump in! Not found just the right outlet/plug combo for setting into the plastic wall of my bay, though.
On how to clear the black tank? Seems some have lots of trouble and want to avoid any potential for builtup, even to the extent of not putting paper in that tank or going to really thing stuff. But we have never had a problem and I think we can avoid the problem well enough if we do a few things right. One is to always make sure there is plenty of water as well as chemical in the tank. I can see that there is potential problems for folks who dry camp as they are reluctant to use enough water and that extends the time between their trips to cump but at the expense of potential bad performance of the chemicals and maybe getting clogs or sensors covered.
When draining and watching what comes out of the black tank, I do not see anything go past which would clog anything bigger than a 1/2 or 3/4 inch opening. Mostly it's just thick brown water! Far closer to hot chocolate than chilli????
How's that for a mental picture to ruin our day!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:06 PM   #64
Winnebago Master

Quote:
When draining and watching what comes out of the black tank, I do not see anything go past which would clog anything bigger than a 1/2 or 3/4 inch opening. Mostly it's just thick brown water! Far closer to hot chocolate than chilli????
Wow, you have made me hungry. To be honest, I have never seen anything come out of our black tank but brownish / blue slurry as well. I am avid boater and we have used Thetford deodorant for years, it simply works.

Even when I pulled the cap and had the mishap the water that did come out was mostly clear because I had flushed it quite a bit before it overflowed into the pipe.

Yes, I am slowly firming my view that the Jet Flo will be connected to Genset (only 12 feet), many options on where the ground could go, no chance to impact any of existing DC wiring including a complete meltdown, and no need to go in and out of battery compartment.

I think I will only do one drain plug initially. I am kind of cheap ( I mean thrifty ) but it was $5 or $6 to buy one drain plug; so I bought 2 for $7 The 2nd one may be a spare. I agree I should not need 2. I do wipe down with a towel as well. My wet bay stay clean and will be cleaner if I had the plug to take out to rise whenever I wanted to. I was thinking of drilling a very small hole in the side before putting any connectors on the wire, and then push silicone to seal it? I got to thinking that Winnebago may purposely have the wetbay compartment sealed to keep the inside bay warmer when freezing outside?

So far my Jet flo has not showed up, I plan to take RV back to Dealer soon for other warranty repairs, so I amy not get a chance to do any of this for a while.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3650.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	175642  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 12-06-2020, 04:53 PM   #65
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I would go with both the 12 gauge as fully good enough and the plug looks like a neat way to go but I might just go one for the following. When I spill but in the wet bay, it is often yuck stuff that stinks and I would like to rinse the plastic floor out and let the water drain but I also will want to wipe it down, so one plug would likely do the whole job without having a second plug sticking up to be in the way?
You've prompted me to want to redo and put in a permanent outlet in the wet bay to plug the pump in! Not found just the right outlet/plug combo for setting into the plastic wall of my bay, though.
On how to clear the black tank? Seems some have lots of trouble and want to avoid any potential for builtup, even to the extent of not putting paper in that tank or going to really thing stuff. But we have never had a problem and I think we can avoid the problem well enough if we do a few things right. One is to always make sure there is plenty of water as well as chemical in the tank. I can see that there is potential problems for folks who dry camp as they are reluctant to use enough water and that extends the time between their trips to cump but at the expense of potential bad performance of the chemicals and maybe getting clogs or sensors covered.
Morich,

I have completed this project

I don't know how you know all of this stuff unless maybe you are Morich Winnebago VIII Regardless, you have been most helpful.

I installed my Jet Flo and so far so good and no blown fuses. I will keep it clean and oil so impeller will not bind in future.

I did connect to positive post on generator that is direct from battery. I connected ground underneath genset. See pictures as I ran the wires to the Wet bay. I did cut hole in plastic container. I used a rubber grommet and clear silicone on both sides to keep it sealed. I even shrink wrapped the connections underneath the RV where the Jetflo stock wire met my wire from Genset.

As a bonus I cut a one 1/2" hole in the bottom left corner of wet bay. I took a water hose and sprayed like crazy, it drains very well. See picture of drain plug I put in hole when finished.

Both of these projects are now complete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201206_162012.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	176128   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201206_161855.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	176129  

Name:	20201206_161944_001.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	176130   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201206_161444.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	176131  

Old 12-06-2020, 04:56 PM   #66
Winnebago Master

Picture of ground connection underneath the Genset; and the 12vdc plug connector for the Jet Flo Macerator inside the Wet Bay.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201206_161845.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	176132   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201206_161431.jpg
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	176133  

Old 12-06-2020, 08:13 PM   #67
Winnebago Master

I just realized I omitted picture of drain plug I installed on bottom of wet bay.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201206_161743.jpg
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	176138  
Old 12-06-2020, 08:30 PM   #68
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I just realized I omitted picture of drain plug I installed on bottom of wet bay.
You used a simple wine stopper? Ingenious!
Old 12-06-2020, 09:19 PM   #69
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
You used a simple wine stopper? Ingenious!
The drain plug is actually a livewell or baitwell plug that you see in fishing boats. I have two, so if I lose one, I have backup.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-of-1...72.m2749.l2649

I love to wash.... maybe over wash my RV and the wet bay. It was a pain using 2 or 3 towels every time to absorb the water that did not flow through the sewer hole. When it finished draining I took one towel and wipe dry. It was not soaked; so it was perfect to wipe down the inside.

Tags
black tank, tank