Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-28-2020, 03:06 PM   #1
2020 Minnie 5W

Fresh water needed

Really enjoying the flexibility of no hookups, but we do miss not having fresh water in the camper. So many campgrounds have a spigot without a hose bib - so we cannot fill up. Doing the bucket brigade instead for dishwater etc. Any suggestions for getting fresh water into the tank without a hose hookup? I saw a youtube about pouring water down the fresh water air vent as an interesting option. Thanks for any ideas!
Danne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:17 PM   #2
Site Team

First, you need a Water Bandit. This is what everyone uses to use a hose on those threadless spigots.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Connect.../dp/B000EDOSKG

https://www.campingworld.com/portabl...llon-1605.html

I use a 40-gal vinyl bladder that you put on top of a pickup or SUV, fill with water and drive over to your RV and connect a hose and let gravity do it's thing.

When I got a smaller SUV with a slanted roof I started putting the bladder in the back of the SUV with the seats folded and bought an inexpensive self-priming 12v water pump and just pump 40-gals into the RV every 3-days or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 4.17.05 PM.png
Views:	97
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	176014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 4.20.46 PM.png
Views:	67
Size:	718.0 KB
ID:	176015  

Old 11-28-2020, 03:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

What about a pump like the normal RV water pump only free mounted with tubing to go in a bucket and another to go to the fill port?
They are designed to be run dry while they pull water to self prime and could easily be run on an extension cord with whatever end to pick up power where you want. Maybe battery clips if working off a tow vehicle?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:27 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
What about a pump like the normal RV water pump only free mounted with tubing to go in a bucket and another to go to the fill port?
That's what I use Richard. I found a basic one on sale for $35 and added a 12v plug (cig lighter plug) to it and screwed the whole thing down to a piece of 1X4. There's a 12v port in the back of the SUV.

It's super easy to keep my fresh water all topped up. It takes about 15-20 mins to fill the tank and 10-mins to transfer it to the RV.

I used to drive a Ford Expedition when I had a TT, and then I just put the bladder on that big flat roof. No pump needed.

This process never fails to draw a crowd of onlookers at the NFS Campgrounds.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:36 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

If you are using 40 gals every 3 days what are you doing with the waist water?
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:04 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
If you are using 40 gals every 3 days what are you doing with the waist water?
Our favorite NFS campground (and many others) permit the discharge of gray water. So, I have a 3" dump cap with a garden hose barb and use a separate garden hose run off into the bush for the gray water to disperse into the under growth.

Its a NFS campground 17 miles north of Durango and about 1/2 of the sites have 50-amp power.

Haviland Lake Campground - look close and you'll see both our power cord and the garden hose:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2334.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	730.9 KB
ID:	176016  
Old 12-06-2020, 05:52 PM   #7
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
... just pump 40-gals into the RV every 3-days or so.
I think that you should be drinking more beer and conserving the water. 3 days on 40 gallons? I guess being on a submarine taught me how to conserve water, when necessary, at a very early age. But that is a skill that could be learned by anyone today, if so motivated.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Small water pumps are available from Harbor Freight both in 12VDC and 110VAC varieties. The 110VAC pump can be plugged into the exterior TV socket in the cargo compartment which runs off of shore power, generator or inverter.
The 12VDC pump comes with clip leads to connect to the battery.
The pumps are small and take a while to fill the tank but with them you can fill from streams, rain barrels or water sources that are lower than the fill port in the RV. Camco makes a two stage filter assembly that is useful with the pumps.

EVO X2 Dual Stage Premium RV Water Filter Kit
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water