Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2021, 01:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Adding Water to Fresh Water Tank

Problem putting ANY water into the clean tank. This is my first time trying to add fresh water to the clean water tank on my 28’ Minnie trailer. Obviously there is a valve or pump switch that I’m missing. The directions say water pump switch is to be OFF and hose should just “gravity feed” into the tank. The city Water pressure is ok and all the interior faucets are allowing water from hose through the system. I ran each faucet as the manual suggested. All the faucets work and a water is coming out every spicket in sink, shower and toilet. Bottom clean tank valve ( white handle) is “in”.

Winnebago instructions are vague. I Either have a “gravity feed” or feed with a valve system (I see not valve anywhere) . It appears I have a gravity feed system but there are no pictures or diagrams of valve positions or even a general water system schematic in the manual. Could this be an issue with the water heater - and a winterization shutoff? We have NOT winterized yet.

Again, water hose into black water entrance allowed us to add 1/3 tank water into black water tank. Water into (white) water entrance pressurizes all the faucets but can’t get anything into the clean tank. Water pump has been “off”. Clean tank shows NO WATER, even after 15 minutes hooked up to gravity hose. Do I need 30 amp power? Right now my only electrical power is solar, which trickle charges the batteries. Any help or ideas are appreciated!!
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 01:28 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Warthog, if you tell us exactly what year and model trailer we might be able to tell you exactly how to add fresh water but otherwise we are just guessing. There are usually two methods to add water to the fresh tank. One is by gravity fill where you stick a hose into a water feed hole that is usually located on the side of your trailer behind a small panel with a lock on it or connect the hose to a screw type connection also found on the side of your trailer. The second method is to connect your hose as normal to the city water connection usually found in a wet bay but may be a connection on the side of your trailer. Then there is a valve that you have to turn that is usually labeled something like "city water fill". That valve is generally in the wet bay but may be someplace else on your trailer.

You shouldn't need 30 amp power or the pump. Also the water heater doesn't have anything to do with it.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 01:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Problem putting ANY water into the clean tank. This is my first time trying to add fresh water to the clean water tank on my 28’ Minnie trailer. Obviously there is a valve or pump switch that I’m missing. The directions say water pump switch is to be OFF and hose should just “gravity feed” into the tank. The city Water pressure is ok and all the interior faucets are allowing water from hose through the system. I ran each faucet as the manual suggested. All the faucets work and a water is coming out every spicket in sink, shower and toilet. Bottom clean tank valve ( white handle) is “in”.

Winnebago instructions are vague. I Either have a “gravity feed” or feed with a valve system (I see not valve anywhere) . It appears I have a gravity feed system but there are no pictures or diagrams of valve positions or even a general water system schematic in the manual. Could this be an issue with the water heater - and a winterization shutoff? We have NOT winterized yet.

Again, water hose into black water entrance allowed us to add 1/3 tank water into black water tank. Water into (white) water entrance pressurizes all the faucets but can’t get anything into the clean tank. Water pump has been “off”. Clean tank shows NO WATER, even after 15 minutes hooked up to gravity hose. Do I need 30 amp power? Right now my only electrical power is solar, which trickle charges the batteries. Any help or ideas are appreciated!!
Sorry,

I thought my details showed up on the thread. 2022 28’ Minnie Winnie trailer. I appear to have a gravity water system because I see no valve handle. I have two water feeds: black to black water tank and white to the clean water tank. Black feed allowed me to fill the black water tank. White feed allows me to pressurize all the faucets without the water pump. But NOT to fill the clean water tank.
Old 11-06-2021, 01:47 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

A Minnie Winnie is a class C motorhome not a trailer and it does not come in a 28' length. The closest Minnie trailer comes in a 27'11" floorplan (model 2500FL) or a 28'7" floorplan (model 2529RG).
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 01:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Am I missing a shutoff valve or alternate fill position somewhere on my 2022 28’ Minnie Winnie trailer? Unable to add water to the clean tank, although water is pressurized from this hose. Water Pump (not water tank heater) is OFF. See picture! I could not find anything in the manual that helped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1C839F53-C048-4451-96EC-B84AD1C44F2E.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	181253  
Old 11-06-2021, 01:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Again sorry for the lack of precision. . Model Minnie 2801BHS. Year 2021.
Old 11-06-2021, 02:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Can’t Fill Clean Tank - Minnie 2801BHS (2021) trailer

Ok, Would it helps if the White (Clean Water Tank) Drain handle (underneath and behind the Gray Tank #2 drain) is pulled out? Releasing air in the tank? This handle drains the clean tank.

Is there a water cutoff valve in the water heater?

I’m just shooting at different ideas. Again I have a Minnie
2801BHS (2021) trailer. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 11-06-2021, 02:53 PM   #8
Site Team

The TT "manual" covers a multitude of towable models. YOUR RV Has a city water inlet AND it has a totally separate Gravity fill. The ONLY way to fill the fresh water tank is via the Gravity Fill.

The City water connection is just to connect a hose to the plumbing and bypass the fresh tank entirely.

So, where the manual says that you can also fill the fresh tank from the city water connection by flipping a level that does not apply to your travel trailer.

So, to hook up a hose and use that for water at all your faucets connect to the City Water inlet. To fill up your fresh tank you only use the Gravity Fill inlet on the right side of your TT just above the tires.

And, about the RV name. You have a Minnie. NOT a Minnie Winnie.

There are:
Micro Minnie - travel trailers
Minnie - travel trailers
Minnie Winnie - Class C motorhomes

It's very confusing for Winnebago to name such different models with such similar names. We have Minnie Winnie owners showing up here and saying they have a Minnie. And, Minnie and Micro Minnie owners showing up to ask questions saying they have a Minnie Winnie.

Getting the name right matters when we're trying to help you and it matters more when you call a dealer to make an appointment.
Old 11-06-2021, 03:11 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones2003 View Post
Then there is a valve that you have to turn that is usually labeled something like "city water fill".
FYI Bones - only Winnebago 5th Wheels and Motorhomes (Class B, C and A) have this option to fill the Fresh Tank via the City water connection. The OP in this thread has a travel trailer and he only has a gravity fill for the Fresh Tank.

While motorhome owners get details manuals specifically written for each model, Towable owners get a very generic "manual" meant to apply to multiple models.

It's a shame that it is this way. But Travel Trailers have always been very light on specific info for each model.
Old 11-06-2021, 05:43 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for going over the correct terminology for my trailer. I used the incorrect “Minnie Winnie” because that’s what the salesman told me it was called when I bought it. But got the exact name down.

The 2801BHS trailer manual is total crap. The generic manual applies to EVERY LENGTH of Winnebago Trailer AND Fifth Wheel, which have several different water systems. It has no pictures, no diagrams, no schematics, no system analysis of the water system. There are three different water fill systems across all the trailer models and it only shows a small picture of the the valve system (which I do not have). YouTube was no help with ppl showing how to add water to OTHER MANUFACTURERS, but nothing on any Winnebago trailers.

I’m a retired airline pilot and fighter pilot. I would spend a month to learn every system on a $150 million aircraft like the Boeing 777 (fuel, electric, hydraulics, flight controls, engines, pressurization, a/c & heating, etc. ). This manual is only slightly better than some hand-written instructions with no pictures or drawings specific to my model. I’ll look for the refill sprout on the right side.
Old 11-06-2021, 06:51 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
.The 2801BHS trailer manual is total crap.
I agree. I don't know why travel trailer manuals are so different from motorhome manuals.

I can only guess that it's because it's normal in the TT industry to provide a generic manual and a bag full of irrelevant stuff from the component manufacturers.

I owned 3-travel trailers - all from Northwood Mfg. Arctic Fox and Nash - and it was the same way. I bought a Class C from Forest River and it was nothing but the big bag of installation manuals from suppliers. No manual at all.

But my Winnebago Class A has a custom briefcase, with a manual specific to my year and model. There are a few OEM additional booklets but mostly just my complete Operator's Manual from Winnebago.

Winnebago purchased their TT designs and production from Sunny Brooke a long while ago and they've kept things there separate from the motorhome division and stuck with the traditional generic manuals for TTs.

I wish I could say it will be different someday... but I don't think it will.
Old 11-06-2021, 06:54 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you for going over the correct terminology for my trailer. I used the incorrect “Minnie Winnie” because that’s what the salesman told me it was called when I bought it.
The common refrain among RVers is: "If the salesman's mouth is moving he's lying."

I'm sure that's not true of every single sales person... just 99% of them.
Old 11-06-2021, 08:28 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Almost always on travel trailers the fresh water tank will be located between the front axle and the tongue. The gravity feed fresh water fill port will be located on the driver's side sidewall towards the tongue somewhere. It may just have a white cap that you can push the end of the water hose into. It will also have an air vent so that as water goes in the air in the tank can go out. You can usually tell when the tank is getting almost full by the change in the sound from the air vent. It's risky and or messy to try to fill the water tank all the way to the top with water hose flow wide open as you don't want to pressurize the tank and cause a leak or the water pressure will push the hose out of the fill hole and cause a mess.

The city water port often is no where near the fill port in a travel trailer that does not have the ability to fill the water tank.

Good luck hope this helps.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 01:26 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Thank you for going over the correct terminology for my trailer. I used the incorrect “Minnie Winnie” because that’s what the salesman told me it was called when I bought it. But got the exact name down.

The 2801BHS trailer manual is total crap. This generic manual applies to EVERY LENGTH of Winnebago Trailer AND Fifth Wheel, which have several different water systems. It has no pictures, no diagrams, no schematics, no system analysis of the water system. There are three different water fill systems across all the trailer models and it only shows a small picture of the the valve system (which I do not have). YouTube was no help with ppl showing how to add water to OTHER MANUFACTURERS, but nothing on any Winnebago trailers.

I’m a retired airline pilot and fighter pilot. I would spend a month to learn every system on a $150 million aircraft like the Boeing 777 (fuel, electric, hydraulics, flight controls, engines, pressurization, a/c & heating, etc. ). This manual is only slightly better than some hand-written instructions with no pictures or drawings specific to my model. I’ll look for the refill sprout on the right side.
It worked! The fill entry (right side) has NO SIGN OR MARKING and furthermore is black, which I thought was only for “black water” . All they need to do is have a decal underneath that says “clean water tank fill” and make the plastic mold WHITE.
Old 11-07-2021, 05:42 AM   #15
Site Team

Glad you found it. I looked at photos for your model and saw what I thought was it and was going to post a photo with it highlighted. But it was black and that gave me pause so I didn’t post anything with it highlighted. I couldn’t be positive that I’d be giving you accurate info.

It is unusual for the fresh water fill to be black.

By the way, it is the selling dealership’s job to insure that you know everything about your new travel trailer before you drive it off the lot. During the PDI they should have showed you the fresh water fill and told you this was the only way to fill the Fresh Tank.
Old 11-23-2021, 02:17 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2017 Minnie Winnie 22r and my problem is that when I fill the Fresh Water Tank via city water, all the water pours out the bottom unto the ground. I understand from the Operator’s Manual that happens when the Fresh Water Tank is full, but what do I need to do to keep it from happening when I’m trying to fill the Fresh Water Tank.

Thank you!
MsWinnebago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:47 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Filling water tank

Sounds like your drain valve might be open for the fresh water tank or you have a leak. Get underneath and see where water is coming out. If it’s a valve try closing it. Yes you probably have an emergency overflow valve but that is only if tank gets to full. Travato John
TravatoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:39 PM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravatoJohn View Post
Sounds like your drain valve might be open for the fresh water tank or you have a leak. Get underneath and see where water is coming out. If it’s a valve try closing it. Yes you probably have an emergency overflow valve but that is only if tank gets to full. Travato John
“Get underneath”. That means I’ll get dirty!

I’ll trade you 1 Minnie Winnie for 1 Travato!

Thank you!

I’ll t
MsWinnebago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:45 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

I could be wrong, but i think you might be mistaking the "city water fitting" located on the street side of the RV, with the "potable water holding tank spout" which is located on the curb side of the RV. These holding tanks will hold something like 20 to 40 gallons of clean water. The "electric pump" is used to move this water through the RV taps and faucets.

The former is used when you connect to pressurized water source at the camp ground. You don't need to rely on your pump. The latter must be filled by you using a sanitary hose when you are home. Oddly, the former is not connected to the latter.
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:13 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

Gravity filling fresh water tank

Purchased in 2017 a 28SGS asked dealer where the gravity fill access door was?

Dealer told me fill the fresh water tank via hose, my problem with that is I camp at places that dont have water at campsites so I have to carry jugs to fill city water tank. So I had to put a fill connection in myself. I’ve owned 3 RVs. they all had this ability to fill city water tank via gravity. I’ve also have repair many problems that were due to poor quality control and poor engineering.

My next one won’t be a Winnebago product.
Bluegti16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water, tank