Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-27-2020, 05:33 PM   #21
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
That braided extender is exactly what I have on my two inner duallies. One took air with no issue right to 82 lbs in about 30 secs. The other I must have spent an hour playing with my Merlin Dual chuck and a lock on stem chuck. Neither would fill the tire with air
I had a similar issue with one inside dual braided line. Once I switched out to a more expensive air chuck, I’ve had no more issues.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:46 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

If one will not take air, it seems like something is not right as it is just a tube with fittings and sometimes, that inside one that goes on the existing stem doesn't push the valve right to open the flow. Do you have the lightweight wheel simulators as they call them that look like hub caps, only full cover? That was part of what gave me trouble before adding the TPMS, as the stems were not only in a hole in the steel wheel but then there was the aluminum cover over that. My hand would almost fit through the first hole and I could get a dual head chuck on the valve but getting in to take the valve cap off was a mess. I put the extensions on and getting them screwed to the stem was tricky but then when I bent them back to face me, I had added the brackets on the simulators, reinstalled them on the wheel by bringing the extension end through the hole and finally after all was back together, I stuck the extension end through the bracket and attached with the nut to make it solid. Aired it to the right point and finally used the tool to screw the sensor on.
To get it off, somebody stealing it would have to rip the pop rivets out or take the cover off, etc. but for me to add air, I slip the tool over the sensor, unscrew, and do much the same as a cap except larger.
I actually got this RV up in Sanger and found they had the tires up about 120 psi after getting it home, so I have never really put air in as it was way too high but letting air out is pretty easy, but I took some time as each time I wanted to get around the posted 82 psi but as I looked what the pressure was actually doing, I kept letting more out until I did get them all very close to 75 when not rolling.
That's where part of my thinking changed on what is meant by "cold temperature" pressure settings. What you and I think of as COLD is just getting started for a lot of folks! Think how far off a guy setting his tires to 75 when he calls it cold in Minnesota and drives to Brownsville??? Just not a perfect world, so I stopped sweating it so much!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:01 PM   #23
Winnie-Wise

I've had similar issues adding air on several vehicles including one on the Vista, and usually removing and re-inserting the valve core fixes it. Might be a bit of grit or grain of sand that is preventing it from letting air out but not in, I don't really know. Some I've just replaced without trying to re-insert them. A core tool and pack of replacement cores are really cheap at any auto parts store, but many times simply unscrewing and retightening the core solves the issue.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:12 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
I had a similar issue with one inside dual braided line. Once I switched out to a more expensive air chuck, I’ve had no more issues.
I had been using Central Pneumatic years, but thought I would upgrade with brand new dual air chucks made by Merlin. They come highly rated and and in some aspect better than Milton.

But the Merlin dual chuck worked well on all other 5 tires. Before I put the 135 degree extenders on the outside duallies I could not get a good enough seal using the pull end of the chuck. Today, all six wheels point outside for me to push straight line on chuck. Both braided on the inside duallies would move when pushing on chuck, but one worked the other never did.

So I buy a simple Merlin air chuck $2.49 and using both hands I was able to add about 8 pounds of air. So I am good now, but something is wrong. I know these factory installed braided extensions are suppose to work.

I can't and will not try to work on, or fix everything on my RV; but I absolutely INSIST, that I be able to easily check my tires with my digital gauge, and add whatever air I need without having to call AAA
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:39 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
If one will not take air, it seems like something is not right as it is just a tube with fittings and sometimes, that inside one that goes on the existing stem doesn't push the valve right to open the flow. Do you have the lightweight wheel simulators as they call them that look like hub caps, only full cover? That was part of what gave me trouble before adding the TPMS, as the stems were not only in a hole in the steel wheel but then there was the aluminum cover over that. My hand would almost fit through the first hole and I could get a dual head chuck on the valve but getting in to take the valve cap off was a mess. I put the extensions on and getting them screwed to the stem was tricky but then when I bent them back to face me, I had added the brackets on the simulators, reinstalled them on the wheel by bringing the extension end through the hole and finally after all was back together, I stuck the extension end through the bracket and attached with the nut to make it solid. Aired it to the right point and finally used the tool to screw the sensor on.
To get it off, somebody stealing it would have to rip the pop rivets out or take the cover off, etc. but for me to add air, I slip the tool over the sensor, unscrew, and do much the same as a cap except larger.
I actually got this RV up in Sanger and found they had the tires up about 120 psi after getting it home, so I have never really put air in as it was way too high but letting air out is pretty easy, but I took some time as each time I wanted to get around the posted 82 psi but as I looked what the pressure was actually doing, I kept letting more out until I did get them all very close to 75 when not rolling.
That's where part of my thinking changed on what is meant by "cold temperature" pressure settings. What you and I think of as COLD is just getting started for a lot of folks! Think how far off a guy setting his tires to 75 when he calls it cold in Minnesota and drives to Brownsville??? Just not a perfect world, so I stopped sweating it so much!
I have 2019 F53

I had to remove the hubcaps on the front wheels to use my straight line air chuck. Once removed both tires filled with air easily. Both were around 80 psi, but I took up to 82 psi. However I don't wish to remove a hubcap just to check or add air. I ordered two new Wheel Master 45 degree extender for my front wheel. If they do like the two new Wheel Master 135s I figure to have solved my problem with 4 wheels for sure.

Which leaves me two the last two inside duallies
One (driver side) worked well so if the other was like it I would be happy. The Passenger side inner duallie was just impossible. I have easy access to the extended stem but I just could NOT get air in. I took the duallie hubcap off the wheel on the passenger side but it made no difference. It was just hard to hold that flexible extender steady. When I felt I had a seal, nothing happened other than me losing air down to 74 lbs. I got it to take air with simple Merlin Air chuck, but my dual air chuck should work. It cost me 20 times more

For TPMS:

When / if I finish what I am doing, adding sensors for any TPMS would be a snap. No needed access point will be behind the hubcaps. Like I said, my #1 priority is to be able to easily manually check & add air. When / if I can do that; I may review what is latest TPMS to see if I wish to add one of those.

I know TPMS folks say you don't need to check air because it is in your RV or on phone. That may be true, but what I want is to be able to check and add air at the same time. I don't want to go back into the coach or use my phone. TPMS to me is like having a Radar Detector. It is nice to have, but I don't rely on it to keep me from getting a ticket. I drive and do all the things as if I didn't have radar detector (like use that good old fashion speedometer). Likewise when I have a radar detector, I don't just rely on the detector 100%. I still use my speedometer
Old 09-27-2020, 09:53 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyocamper View Post
I've had similar issues adding air on several vehicles including one on the Vista, and usually removing and re-inserting the valve core fixes it. Might be a bit of grit or grain of sand that is preventing it from letting air out but not in, I don't really know. Some I've just replaced without trying to re-insert them. A core tool and pack of replacement cores are really cheap at any auto parts store, but many times simply unscrewing and retightening the core solves the issue.
This is good point. I didn't think to try to use the dual chuck again after I was able to get air in using the the small air chuck?

I was just so happy to get any air in I wanted to leave well enough alone. That inner wheel was down to 74 lbs

I take it back to the Dealer tomorrow, I will report it as a defect and see what they say. Maybe they just verify it is working before I pick it back up.

I am just taken back by all of this... I just want to be able to check my air pressure, and add air if needed; without taking off hubcaps or buying a $400 system

I insist this should be a SAFETY issue. I can see person with a very nice TPMS that is warning the driver that right front wheel has lost 30 pounds. So driver stops. Pulls out his portable compressor, but can't get the chuck on the stem. Then he tries to take hub off and then he realized he he does not have the key to get or worse he has the key but can't get the lugs off the hubcap And in my case, I can do all of the above, but the air doesn't go in.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:34 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by geric View Post
Does anyone use tpms on there rv and if so any recommendations?
I've been using them for over 10 years and 80,000 + miles and would not be without them. I have TST "Truck System Technology" non-flow through sensors and they work whether you move or are stationary. I typically turn the unit on the morning we are leaving and within minutes I have both the temperature and pressure of my rig and toed. That's 12 sensors in total.

I never take them off the rig unless I need to top off a tire or when I need to tow my trailer with my truck. I take them off the truck which is my toed and screw them on the trailer. The truck has a built in system.

Tire pressure is one of the MOST important safety features available so I would not be without it.

I am not a fan of the flow-through sensors so I switched them out with the non-flow sensors and they have saved my butt twice. Yes, I had two issues and the sensors gave me the alert I pulled over and sure enough I had a large nail and was loosing air. Had I not had the sensors I would never had known until it was too late as I have a tag axel so basically the tire would have shredded before I would have known as the tire was completely out of air within minutes of pulling over.

Once a year or so I order the rebuild kit which includes new o rings and a battery and the entire service takes me minutes to complete.

It's a great system and the company has stood behind their products as well by sending me a new sensor for free when one would not read. They mail it to the campground I was going to. Easy!

Good luck
Old 09-30-2020, 06:08 PM   #28
2014 Access Premier 26QP

Quote:
Originally Posted by geric View Post
Does anyone use tpms on there rv and if so any recommendations?
I have an EEZ Tire TPMS and would not be without it. They read very accurately and I always know the tire pressure and temperature.
jimgossett2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:12 PM   #29
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Not what it seems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Again, I’m not sure what TPMS system you are referring to, as mine allows me to check the tire pressure when parked, as I am right now in Petaluma...
Sorry to say, that is what I thought too. It's really what the last pressure reading was, not what it is right now, if you are not underway. How do I know this? Easy. I topped up one of my dualies the night before a big trip and checked the TireMinder pressure again in the morning as we left, all looked good. But, 1 mile later an alarm went off. Low tire pressure. So I stopped and found the dualie that I topped off was almost completely flat! I have Crossfire pressure balancers on my dualies and a valve extension on them for easy access to the valve. When I removed the TireMinder sensor, I apparently loosened the extender just enough for a very slow leak to drain my tires almost completely overnight. This was not detected by the TireMinder until I drove about a mile from home. The extender turned out to have a marginally defective seat and was replaced, tires filled again curbside with my compressor and continued on our journey a bit wiser than I was starting out.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:19 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I agree that it would be a nice option if they would add it to all vehicles but then that just goes on a very long list of things that I would change! One is the way working guys dribble nails all over the neighborhood when in a growing area!
But TPMS is just another item to like or not as we each see it but the more I learn about using it, the more I like it, so let me point to something you might see different with different info?
I moved away from solid steel stems and lines as they seemed to be none which let me do it the way I wanted! Braided steel mesh on flexible lines let me use them much eaier as I could just bend them where needed to get to the stems pointed in different directions and then I got the little "L" shaped metal brackets to pop rivet on the wheel sims. to hold the sensor from moving. That makes all the sensors sticking out toward me, including the inside dual, and adding air is only harder than taking off the cap because I have to get the little "tool " from inside the RV. But it does have the advantage of me not dropping it inside the cover or losing it like the little cap!
Instead of turning a cap I put the tool over the sensor cap which floats so that it can't be taken off without the tool as the nut hold it is on the backside of the sensor. then I have that flat spot on the tool to turn the nut and unscrew the same as a cap.
And as something I did not expect, the tires maintain pressure much better than on my cars! I'm never certain that I get the gauge pressed on just right without letting some air out but the think really doesn't read exactas a start, so I'm okay with seeing the TPMS read "pretty close" on what I test but the difference is that now I get the same report consistently. Whether it is exact or not really bothers me less, now that I see how much it changes every time I move!
The RV has been setting since at least March without looking at the air and it does show a difference in temp and pressure but not the way I would expect as the outside rear is two degrees warmer but two lbs lower then the front right! My brand shows which is reporting by that tire not being shown.
But the big point is that the pressure and temp does change and it does show but is one tire something to stop and wonder about if it shows up? We would never know if we didn't have a digital number to look at. We would just keep driving and think it was all exactly right until we went to all the wheels to find out!
And whiling checking we might fumble and let off a pound or two! I now worry far less and still spend far less down on my knees to find out. It varies, it changes, so I try to keep it close but don't sweat a few pounds off as it will change if the sun shines on that side!
I have the same TPMS as this and when I get to my destination I turn it off. Then on the day I am leaving I turn it on 15 min before I leave and it gives me all the pressures.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:19 PM   #31
2014 Access Premier 26QP

Here is the system I have. It reads the current pressure and temperature at all times. I have valve stem extenders to make it easier to both fill and install the senders. I guess I have always had them tight. They have never leaked like you described.

https://eezrvproducts.com/shop/ols/p...s-6-anti-theft
jimgossett2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:38 PM   #32
Winnebago Watcher

TireMinder.....had an inner tire lose full pressure due to bad valve. Didn't initially believe it, but they recognized it and it was spit on....zero air on inner tire.
wheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:00 PM   #33
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
Sorry to say, that is what I thought too. It's really what the last pressure reading was, not what it is right now, if you are not underway. How do I know this? Easy. I topped up one of my dualies the night before a big trip and checked the TireMinder pressure again in the morning as we left, all looked good. But, 1 mile later an alarm went off. Low tire pressure. So I stopped and found the dualie that I topped off was almost completely flat! I have Crossfire pressure balancers on my dualies and a valve extension on them for easy access to the valve. When I removed the TireMinder sensor, I apparently loosened the extender just enough for a very slow leak to drain my tires almost completely overnight. This was not detected by the TireMinder until I drove about a mile from home. The extender turned out to have a marginally defective seat and was replaced, tires filled again curbside with my compressor and continued on our journey a bit wiser than I was starting out.

I can affirm that this is absolutely not the case with EZEE Tire. When I shut it off at night it is reading the current tire temp and pressure, usually over 90 psi and on a hot day well over. When I turn it on the next morning it reads the current temp. If I drive up in the mountains in the summer it's not unusual to see a 40-50º air temp change the next morning. Tires that were 82 psi when I left home and went to 99 psi in the afternoon set off the TPMS alarm when I turn it on in the morning and they're down to 75 psi.

If I go out and turn it on right now it's going to read the current pressure, not the pressure when I parked it. And it will do it within a few minutes of sitting, no driving needed. And the tires that were getting afternoon sun will read 1-2# higher than the other side.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:22 PM   #34
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

One thing I need to clarify in my previous post. I have the TireMinder model that uses an app on my iPhone for tire pressure/temperature display. I turned off the monitor at night and restarted it again in the morning as we left. It may have taken those several minutes of driving to collect the data from all of the sending units. Leaving the monitor on all night probably would have averted the problem but may have needed charging in the morning or some time later that day during the trip. I didn't realize at the time that it took so long to read all of the sensors. But it will display the old pressure data until an update can be made.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:40 PM   #35
Winnebago Owner

We have TireMinder. Works great. It's on our RV and the car hauler we tow.
No issues. Wouldn't dream of going back to running without it.
IOS 3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:19 PM   #36
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
My experience is obviously different from yours. Perhaps your monitor is turned off? When I’m parked, my monitor is always on, and it scrolls through in real time what the pressure is. I know this for a fact, as when I add pressure to my tires when parked, the TireMinder shows the new level of pressure as I go from tire to tire.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:35 PM   #37
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
We have an EEZ Tire TPMS and would not be without it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009BE069Q/
Same for us. Takes all the guessing out and makes checking all tire pressures EEZ! You do need to have metal Dually borg stems pit in the tires. No rubber extensions!
Old 10-02-2020, 12:55 PM   #38
Winnebago Camper

I am using the TST507 with color monitor, works great. If you go to Techno RV (online) they often have sales. When I called TST with a question, they were great at talking me thru an issue (operator error - me). I have had the system for 18 months, changed 1 sensor battery, will probably change the others soon. The batteries are easy to change. I use the cap type sensors, no big deal to remove, after all, don't need to add air very often. It is not something that I stare at much while driving, just a glance once in a while, if something is happening there is an alarm for that. The batteries are easy to change, can last up to 2 years according to TST. I am going to build a sensor wrench with a large screwdriver type handle of some sort to make it a little easier to get the caps off, but the little wrench from TST is ok.
From what I have seen, there are several systems on the market, and they all seem to work, so just pick the one that you like and get it, as the important thing is that you have one. Checking pressure before you go is good, but that doesn't help you 2 hours down the highway when the inner duel is going low. I know of 2 people in my RV club that each had an inner rear tire loose air, both had TPMS warnings. Almost everyone in the club has them now.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:32 AM   #39
Winnebago Owner

Agree. turn on 10-15 min before pulling out and press displayed before leaving.
Peace of mind while traveling. I had metal stems installed in CRV to support the little senders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
We have an EEZ Tire TPMS and would not be without it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009BE069Q/
Old 11-08-2020, 02:44 PM   #40
Winnebago Camper

Can you address where you obtained the valve brackets and the installation process?

Thanks, Skip
Skip Stone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, tire pressure