Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2020, 07:42 PM   #1
Geric

Tire pressure management systems.

Does anyone use tpms on there rv and if so any recommendations?
Old 09-23-2020, 07:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I bought some and only used them about 50 miles. First I'm afraid of them damaging the stems--mine are reinforced but not full metal. Second, they don't work until you're moving and I want to test my pressures before I move. Removing them to check your pressure is slightly difficult compared to just removing a cap.

If there were some internal ones that could be installed I might be interesting.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:48 PM   #3
Geric

Thank you Goodspick. I’m new to this site and still trying to figure it out.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Totally the other way on TPMS as I find they are now one of the things I would not do without!
Step one is to do the study to find what you feel is best for your use as there lots of small points to consider. And most of those small points make the above post pretty meaningless.
Some options to consider are the size and how batteries are treated as they can be totally formed in the sensors or they can be user replaceable. The sensors can be longer and allow you to test and adjust air without taking them off as they have caps the same as regular or they can be smaller with no caps and you don't add air very often.
Taking the caps off to check the pressure is kind of weird if you have a system that TELLS you the pressure, isn't it?
I've had my TPMS for a while now and have never had to add pressure but I do know what the pressure is doing as the temperature changes constantly and that makes the pressure change the same way. The pressure is there any time I power up the system and I can see it change as the sun comes around the corner of the house. I no longer need to do a lot of thinking about what my tire pressure and temp are doing as it sets on the little readout beside me and all I have to do is look as it scrolls through each tire in turn to give me what I need to know. I still keep the air gauge in the RV but I've not used it for a long time as that is just no longer needed! Unless you really LIKE getting dirty crawling around to check air?
I do not remember what brand I have and don't have any favorite but I do suggest looking for features you may like. One way to avoid worry about the stem failing is to get one that has an "L" bracket to tie the sensor to the wheel!
Some options to consider:
It takes some study and thought to arrange to get the sensors put on if you have dual wheels, but that is a matter of looking what you have on stems, deciding whether to keep the current stems or change to all metal or finding ways to secure the sensor and stem to avoid wear, what type and kind of extensions might fit best as there are tons of different wheels and extensions that work better on some than others. There are sensors which you air through a valve or others which you take off if you want to change the pressure. Some have batteries to change but may tend to leak if you drive in water like launching a boat while others are sent to the factory for replacement if ever needed.
The big idea is that it is a super upgrade on safety if you get an alarm BEFORE the tire goes flat enough to get hot and blow out! You set the pressure and temperature alarms to what and when you want an alert and it does the rest. That was the tricky part for me as I had no idea that my tires were constantly changing pressure so much and had to reset my alarms several times to avoid false alarms as the tires heated while driving.
Just knowing that I have not run over something and the inside dual is going flat is well worth the expense for me as I know what a blown tire does for the RV, even if it doesn't cause a total wreck!
This is one place where I often shop but it does pay to shop around to get what you want for your situation as well as pricing.
https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...pg-TPMS_Sensor
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:17 PM   #5
Site Team

We have an EEZ Tire TPMS and would not be without it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009BE069Q/
Old 09-24-2020, 12:17 AM   #6
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I bought some and only used them about 50 miles. First I'm afraid of them damaging the stems--mine are reinforced but not full metal. Second, they don't work until you're moving and I want to test my pressures before I move. Removing them to check your pressure is slightly difficult compared to just removing a cap.

If there were some internal ones that could be installed I might be interesting.
My TireMinder TPMS system allows me to check the air pressure anytime—parked, or driving. I always check the tires from the Bluetooth app when parked in the morning before heading out. Adding the mounted ARB on board Air compressor was a huge upgrade in case I have to top off a tire, or two.

Removing them to add or subtract air, is the exact same process as removing a valve stem cap—just unscrew to add or remove air. The batteries last one year—almost to the date.

What I like about the TireMinder system, was the Bluetooth connectivity to my phone, (or iPad). So, instead of mounting ANOTHER gadget on my dash, I just use the phone, on a magnetic mount, to run in the background, to announce alarms, or, see the tire pressures as it scrolls through each tire.

Whatever system you consider, I wouldn’t consider driving without one...

Just one more opinion to consider.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Smile

I use the Tire Minder works well on our coach.
Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:55 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Taking the caps off to check the pressure is kind of weird if you have a system that TELLS you the pressure, isn't it?
Not if you want to know the pressure before you start off on your trip. They don't run 24/7 to increase battery life, they only send signals when they are moving.

But again the other reason was not being certain of my valve stems. They are at least half metal and are upgraded units compared to the factory, but they are just something the tire shop installed, not something I researched. I'd rather not cause a flat trying to monitor whether I have a flat!
Old 09-24-2020, 08:48 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have the TST (Truck System Technology) brand and have used it on all (3 trailers and now a motorhome) and wouldn’t be without it. Their customer service is great. It works as soon as the power is on. I have had three TST different systems over the years as they keep improving there components. I just put them on my Vista as I had new longer valve stems put on, when I got new tires so that I could get to the outside dally stem. I recommend getting their black and white, not color, display as I read that the color is difficult to see in the glare of the sun on a motorhome. I bought it from Tweety’s RV.
Lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:41 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Not if you want to know the pressure before you start off on your trip. They don't run 24/7 to increase battery life, they only send signals when they are moving.

Your system may not but everybody else here has one that does give the pressure and temperature when they are not rolling! Your lack of knowledge of electronics is on display! There are lots of ways to reduce battery use besides shutting them off. Solid state digital is one. Sensors that only "ping" when their turn do not use much battery. The signal may only be a few microseconds and repeated once every few minutes, just enough to keep from missing any real pressure change.
One of the reasons I choice the type which does require removal to air rather than the air through the sensor type was the size of the battery and the way it can be totally sealed. They can fit a bigger, better battery in a smaller space when not needing a valve running down the middle! My brother found the seals on the other style were a constant source of battery trouble as they got wet too often.
But shopping for what we each need is an important point. We each want different things when we travel and that leaves me wanting something different than Wyatt. He wants bluetooth and using his phone, I put my phone way out of sight and reach when driving and prefer a standalone item which I mount semi-permanent at the side of my seat so that I can hear the alarm better and reach to shut it off!
I built a small storage box at my left for all that clutter that I like to have close by. I put the TPMS along with the RVI brake receiver and tablet and lots of other clutter! I also keep my coffee cup on the left side!
So far the only alarms I have had were due to my lack of knowledge of how much the pressure built when driving and I set the alarm too low. But I have never had to add air.
My solution to worry about the stem wear is to get small sensors and tie them down.
There are so many options and new ones every day, so I do recommend getting to know the system and how they work before buying one but I do recommend them as really good, cheap insurance.
Most insurance we buy will pay to repair the damage, while this works to prevent the damage from ever happening!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3814.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	175135   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3813.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	175136  

Old 09-24-2020, 12:26 PM   #11
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Again, I’m not sure what TPMS system you are referring to, as mine allows me to check the tire pressure when parked, as I am right now in Petaluma...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5F2C06CB-102E-435E-8B3C-FE2AAFF77CF2.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	175139  
Old 09-25-2020, 12:10 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by geric View Post
Does anyone use tpms on there rv and if so any recommendations?

I been reading threads on TPMS and I never get a clear definitive answer on what to do. I know they would be nice to have, but every time I research I run into dead end.

Here are negative nanny thoughts

1. I don't want to spend more time changing batteries than I would have simply checking air.
2. I worry about where it would go, size of the screen, if it will be color at night and what it would like at night (i.e. too bright or not)
3. I would need 6, if one or two failed after warranty, how pricey are they to replace?
4. There is some special tool, but even with it theft would be a concern. If I am told theft is NOT a concern then why the special tool?
5. I bought 2 new Wheel Master 135 degree valve extenders, now I can easily check my all 6 tire's pressure now.
6. Nothing like the eyeball and kicking the tires test. When I eyeball, I may see a nail before it starts to leak air.
7. I have those TPMS in our cars, but I still check the air with my gauge and add air. yes I do get warnings sometimes before I notice, but I also get false warning due to temperatures etc.
8. I have never been driving any of our vehicles with TPMS and while driving something was happening where I could see the air going down to safely know to go someplace to stop to check the air or fix a tire.
9. Before any trip even with TPMS I routinely check tires along with oil and few other things, I do the same when getting gas (not re-check the oil though)
10. $400 for 6 wheel kit?

Having said all the above, I would rather have a TPMS than not, but it is just too many things for me to evaluate that I choose to do nothing right now until someone comes with that no brainer smoking gun.
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:56 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I been reading threads on TPMS and I never get a clear definitive answer on what to do. I know they would be nice to have, but every time I research I run into dead end.

Here are negative nanny thoughts

1. I don't want to spend more time changing batteries than I would have simply checking air.
2. I worry about where it would go, size of the screen, if it will be color at night and what it would like at night (i.e. too bright or not)
3. I would need 6, if one or two failed after warranty, how pricey are they to replace?
4. There is some special tool, but even with it theft would be a concern. If I am told theft is NOT a concern then why the special tool?
5. I bought 2 new Wheel Master 135 degree valve extenders, now I can easily check my all 6 tire's pressure now.
6. Nothing like the eyeball and kicking the tires test. When I eyeball, I may see a nail before it starts to leak air.
7. I have those TPMS in our cars, but I still check the air with my gauge and add air. yes I do get warnings sometimes before I notice, but I also get false warning due to temperatures etc.
8. I have never been driving any of our vehicles with TPMS and while driving something was happening where I could see the air going down to safely know to go someplace to stop to check the air or fix a tire.
9. Before any trip even with TPMS I routinely check tires along with oil and few other things, I do the same when getting gas (not re-check the oil though)
10. $400 for 6 wheel kit?

Having said all the above, I would rather have a TPMS than not, but it is just too many things for me to evaluate that I choose to do nothing right now until someone comes with that no brainer smoking gun.

As with most things, much of your concern involves personal thinking and how we each work. No big deal as we do need that freedom to get into our own zone, but I might throw some light on a few of your points, just as a different view?
1. Mine have lasted more than a year as I'm still on the original. Unknown how long left? I got the sealed type as there are lots of low water crossings that flood in my area.
2.Different brands will have different sizes. Mine is about 2 1/2w X 2 hX 1 deep and it is black and white as it only needs to show text and a drawing to show which tire is showing/ reporting at the time. If brightness is a question when it is mounted too directly in view, throw something over it and just let the alarms tell you if something is moving off normal as you can set those alarm levels to suit. I put mine at the side as it is not something I want to see constantly but do want to pick up and look when I think of it. That interest will probably drop off once I get used to the idea of not wondering what the tires are doing!
3. In the range of $25-30 for my brand but they are cheaper to buy six or more as a set when first starting. I might have liked to get the four for the tow car but it already has them and I don't worry it getting a flat as much as the RV.
4. Kids like shiny things for their bikes and take shiny valve stem covers. Why would they not take anything that is loose? Calling it a "tool" is overstating it as it is a funny gizmo as much as tool but it is very effective! As in this picture, there is a "clawfoot" at one end that acts like a box end wrench but can get in and under the sensor to reach the nut which holds it on. It slips over the sensor to grip while you turn the top part to unscrew the whole. Like door locks, it is more a mental things when somebody wants to steal it.
But those who might want one is pretty limited as they have to know what it is, have the same system to add it onto and be willing to stand and figure out how to get it off. More likely to just rip it off, stem and all like thugs do getting in your front door?
5. Your knees don't pop yet?
6. I've never seen a nail on an inside dual but they do go flat on trucks I've driven.
7. Yes as car systems that I know about do not report the current temperature and pressure on each wheel and are not very sensitive but only report when reaching a low point. Airing tires is better as you can keep them closer than the very limited car TPMS.
8. Lucky, I guess? But I have not had a car tire flat in ages and could see changing it myself if needed as car tires are so small.
9. Old habits die hard but I don't think I've seen anybody open a hood at the gas station in five years?
10. My car insurance costs far more and I rarely if ever use it while I do use the TPMS for cutting the worry factor every time we take a trip.
Like making reservations ahead of time, some feel better while some don't see the need. No right way and no wrong way??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tool.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	175159  
Old 09-25-2020, 11:12 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Looking for the smoking gun, you say?

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm

A search for "tire damage to RV" will get lots of smoking guns!
Old 09-25-2020, 06:32 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

My EEZ Tire monitor is stuck to driver side window and I can see it at a glance. If I'm heading out that day I turn it on first thing and go do some other stuff, 10 minutes later I have a reading from all six tires and four on the trailer. The only time I remove them is to adjust pressure, like when it gets really cold.

This:
Quote:
Is just simply not true, at least for the top three or four brands that I looked into before deciding on the EEZ Tire.

My inside rears have flex metal stem extensions, and I was worried about damage at first. I took some open cell foam and cut it to fit in the oval of the outside wheel and hold the stem in the center. One fell out and after two years I can't tell any difference between the with and without stems. One of these days I'll remember where I got that foam and cut another one to replace the missing, but it's not urgent based on what I'm seeing.
Old 09-27-2020, 02:37 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Looking for the smoking gun, you say?

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm

A search for "tire damage to RV" will get lots of smoking guns!
Thanks for video. I think I am know what can happen with blow outs; and this family may actually be lucky in their circumstance. Not sure I believe that TPMS would have avoided that blowout? I once had a blowout in a Camaro on both right tires, they both hit the same pot hole. It was amazing I gained control. I bought the Safe T Plus stabilizer to help me with control if I have blowout.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:20 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
1. Mine have lasted more than a year as I'm still on the original. Unknown how long left? I got the sealed type as there are lots of low water crossings that flood in my area. I will need to ensure any TPMS that I may buy are sealed
2.Different brands will have different sizes. Mine is about 2 1/2w X 2 hX 1 deep and it is black and white as it only needs to show text and a drawing to show which tire is showing/ reporting at the time. If brightness is a question when it is mounted too directly in view, throw something over it and just let the alarms tell you if something is moving off normal as you can set those alarm levels to suit. I put mine at the side as it is not something I want to see constantly but do want to pick up and look when I think of it. That interest will probably drop off once I get used to the idea of not wondering what the tires are doing! I have mental block of something happening with my tires after I start driving it; given I check the tires before I left? I get road hazards but they come in a flash and no time to react
3. In the range of $25-30 for my brand but they are cheaper to buy six or more as a set when first starting. I might have liked to get the four for the tow car but it already has them and I don't worry it getting a flat as much as the RV. I might wish to invest in buying new stems when tires hit halfway point of their life?
4. Kids like shiny things for their bikes and take shiny valve stem covers. Why would they not take anything that is loose? Calling it a "tool" is overstating it as it is a funny gizmo as much as tool but it is very effective! As in this picture, there is a "clawfoot" at one end that acts like a box end wrench but can get in and under the sensor to reach the nut which holds it on. It slips over the sensor to grip while you turn the top part to unscrew the whole. Like door locks, it is more a mental things when somebody wants to steal it.
But those who might want one is pretty limited as they have to know what it is, have the same system to add it onto and be willing to stand and figure out how to get it off. More likely to just rip it off, stem and all like thugs do getting in your front door? Duly noted
5. Your knees don't pop yet? I actually use a stool from Harbor Freight, but between the cars, boat and motorcycle I am constantly checking and adding air. I have yet to think that is was of any benefit to me that some of cars have TPMS already installed. My perception is that most of the time all that does is have my wife or kids tell me they have trouble with the air and it is really only a reflection of temperature. I normally will check all the vehicles when I have everything out to check one which is before any trip or long bike ride.
6. I've never seen a nail on an inside dual but they do go flat on trucks I've driven. I am having trouble getting air to go inside my right inside dually now. All other tires are exactly 82 psi, but for the life of me I can't get air to go into that inside flexible stem Everytime I try I lose a pound or two. TPMS would only tell me what I already know. I may have to have dealer check that flex steel extender. But I want the solid firm stems like on the front, and the 135 degree extenders I added for outside duallies
7. Yes as car systems that I know about do not report the current temperature and pressure on each wheel and are not very sensitive but only report when reaching a low point. Airing tires is better as you can keep them closer than the very limited car TPMS. We have Cadillac XT5 & SRX, a Chevy Camaro & Chevy Cruze, all record the real time pressure of each tire. Temperature is function of Pressure. We can see the pressure rise as we drive and on hot days.
8. Lucky, I guess? But I have not had a car tire flat in ages and could see changing it myself if needed as car tires are so small. I fix about 3 flats per year all with with plugs repairing nails that I saw in the tires. 80% of the nails come from the roofers that live like leeches in our neighborhood for repairing hail damage I wouldn't try to plug a RV tire. It is too new and I have all of the road hazards insurance for it.
9. Old habits die hard but I don't think I've seen anybody open a hood at the gas station in five years? I don't open hoods anymore unless I see smoke or steam
10. My car insurance costs far more and I rarely if ever use it while I do use the TPMS for cutting the worry factor every time we take a trip.
Like making reservations ahead of time, some feel better while some don't see the need. No right way and no wrong way??
Yes, I think for me it is just a pecking order. This is our 1st RV and it is new, I am learning a lot. TPMS are likely in our future, but my hope is a technological breakthrough is eminent.

My worry is given it needs air, it is a major pain to add!!!!

i.e.
1. Despite have steel stems that point out on both front tires, I have to remove the hubcap to check and add air. The fact that a TPMS could be inside is no benefit to me if I need air, I still have to remove the hub.
2. I just paid Wheel Masters $21 so I can now easily check both outside duallies with the new steel 135 degree extension. Takes me 10 secs to check air per tire.
3. The Winnebago supplied flex stem extenders are hard to work with as they move too much when trying to check or add air. Additionally my right inside duallie may not be accepting air? I can't get air pressure to 82 I may have to take back to Dealer.

My opinion is that for an RB that cost $150k; somebody missed the mark on the most basic of tire safety for consumer. People may be relegated to buying all of the TPMS because #1, Mfg don't install as standard, and #2 they made it a challenge for average Joe to check; thus putting us all in danger when we travel the highways
Old 09-27-2020, 04:25 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

I agree that it would be a nice option if they would add it to all vehicles but then that just goes on a very long list of things that I would change! One is the way working guys dribble nails all over the neighborhood when in a growing area!
But TPMS is just another item to like or not as we each see it but the more I learn about using it, the more I like it, so let me point to something you might see different with different info?
I moved away from solid steel stems and lines as they seemed to be none which let me do it the way I wanted! Braided steel mesh on flexible lines let me use them much eaier as I could just bend them where needed to get to the stems pointed in different directions and then I got the little "L" shaped metal brackets to pop rivet on the wheel sims. to hold the sensor from moving. That makes all the sensors sticking out toward me, including the inside dual, and adding air is only harder than taking off the cap because I have to get the little "tool " from inside the RV. But it does have the advantage of me not dropping it inside the cover or losing it like the little cap!
Instead of turning a cap I put the tool over the sensor cap which floats so that it can't be taken off without the tool as the nut hold it is on the backside of the sensor. then I have that flat spot on the tool to turn the nut and unscrew the same as a cap.
And as something I did not expect, the tires maintain pressure much better than on my cars! I'm never certain that I get the gauge pressed on just right without letting some air out but the think really doesn't read exactas a start, so I'm okay with seeing the TPMS read "pretty close" on what I test but the difference is that now I get the same report consistently. Whether it is exact or not really bothers me less, now that I see how much it changes every time I move!
The RV has been setting since at least March without looking at the air and it does show a difference in temp and pressure but not the way I would expect as the outside rear is two degrees warmer but two lbs lower then the front right! My brand shows which is reporting by that tire not being shown.
But the big point is that the pressure and temp does change and it does show but is one tire something to stop and wonder about if it shows up? We would never know if we didn't have a digital number to look at. We would just keep driving and think it was all exactly right until we went to all the wheels to find out!
And whiling checking we might fumble and let off a pound or two! I now worry far less and still spend far less down on my knees to find out. It varies, it changes, so I try to keep it close but don't sweat a few pounds off as it will change if the sun shines on that side!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3817.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	175211   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3819.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	175212  

Name:	IMG_3820.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	175213   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3821.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	175214  

Old 09-27-2020, 05:03 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

That braided extender is exactly what I have on my two inner duallies. One took air with no issue right to 82 lbs in about 30 secs. The other I must have spent an hour playing with my Merlin Dual chuck and a lock on stem chuck. Neither would fill the tire with air. Right now if you tell me the sensors that come with the TPMS kits make it easier to add air then that would be and immediate value I could see

I just got back from Harbor Freight where I bought a simple Merlin Air Chuck for $2.49, it filled that tire with the braided stem in about 1 minutes. Seems like stem is smaller than chuck because I did have some blowout from the hose, I knew air was going in because the compressor had to kick in.

Right now all tires are at 82 psi

I will have dealer look at that right rear inside duallie. I want whatever is easy to add air (not very complicated).

When I check air I use this stool (so it is easy for me) When we go on a trip in the other cars, I don't see what the TPMS says and drive, I check myself. I may verify the readings are close.

https://www.harborfreight.com/pneuma..._psugg_q=stool

I don't like the braided extender because it is too flexible to add air Even if Ford had a built in TPMS system on F53, I would have the same problem unless it turns out the TPMS attachments are such that they make the air intake process firm? Remember the factory do not require batteries nor any external setup it is all integrated. My perception of TPMS over the years is the money I may have to pay to replace the sensors or program the sensors when they go out, they have yet to produce an ah ha moment. I view as a nice to have and a recommended option. My priority or issue is if I had TPMS and I knew I needed to add air; how would I do in my long range plan. I got all tires done today at 82 but I only like the process for 2 of the tires that I put the Wheel Master 135 extenders on. I may have to buy 2 of 45 extenders to put on the front wheels to avoid having to take hubcap off. I will see what the dealer says about the 2 inside duallies? Maybe I have one defective braided extender?
Old 09-27-2020, 05:32 PM   #20
RVCalypso

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
We have an EEZ Tire TPMS and would not be without it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009BE069Q/
I agree with creativepart!
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, tire pressure