Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-23-2023, 05:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Tire pressure for a 2018 Micro Minnie 2108 ds

Just bought above RV. Not sure what to set the tire pressure at. Any help appreciated
jbroder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 07:04 PM   #2
Site Team

Greetings jbroder,
I believe there should be a placard somewhere on the trailer showing the recommended tire pressure. If you cannot find that, then I recommend that you inflate the four tires to the maximum cold pressure shown on the sidewall. This would be either 50 psi or 65 psi.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 12-23-2023, 10:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If your 2108 had the C rated OEM Westlake tires, cold inflation is 50 psi. But if you still have the original tires on your trailer, it’s well past the time to buy new ones. I think the consensus is Goodyear Endurance, or Wrangler, both of which are D rated and will have a higher cold inflation than C rated tires. Consequently you’ll have better tires but a bit harsher ride. The recommended tire pressure on the sticker refers to the OEM tires that the trailer was shipped with. If the prior owner has changed tires, the sticker would not apply. Only the sidewall cold inflation pressure can be trusted.
Old 12-24-2023, 06:22 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Only the sidewall cold inflation pressure can be trusted.
^This is the answer to your question. Look at your tire’s sidewall for the max pressure setting.

You decide what tires offer the best reliability but after a couple of blowouts with “C” rated tires, when I owned Travel Trailers, I switched to “E” rated tires (10-ply) and never had any further problem. I also aired up to that sidewall PSI, as recommended by Discount Tire and others, which was 80 PSI. That sounded like a lot but was perfect.
Old 01-07-2024, 04:24 PM   #5

Most traveltrailer brands have tires with yust enaugh maxload to cover the GAWR, and Gawr('s) yust ensugh to cover GVWR minus towbarweight of minimum 10% in US.

Then the tires need the pressure belonging to loadrange of OEM tires, or better even more.

I only found one brand, Airstream, who has tires with comfortable reserves for GAWR(' s), and mostly also GAWR(' s) with comfortable reserves for the GVWR.

On that forum they often complain about rivets popping by using the max pressure wich Airstream recomends.

So to know what pressure you need, I have to know specifications of tires and TT.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 08:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I agree with Eagle5's reply..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 08:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbroder View Post
Just bought above RV. Not sure what to set the tire pressure at. Any help appreciated

RVs have "Certification Labels" by Federal Law. RV Trailers have the label applied on the driver side, outside toward the front of the trailer. Important safety info is on the label such as GAWR, Tire Size & Load Range and the inflation required to support the stated GAWR.
Note the inflation will support 110% of the GAWR per RVIA requirements. This extra 10% is important as it will partially offset the Interply Shear that is the force that can result in a "Blowout"

Get a picture of the label.
Inflate your tires to the stated PSI untill you can learn your normal maximum loading.
Old 01-08-2024, 08:45 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Greetings jbroder,
I believe there should be a placard somewhere on the trailer showing the recommended tire pressure. If you cannot find that, then I recommend that you inflate the four tires to the maximum cold pressure shown on the sidewall. This would be either 50 psi or 65 psi.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5

The label is on the driver side, outside front quarter by law. If it isn't there Winnie should provide a replacement if you contact the factory and provide the VIN.
Old 01-08-2024, 08:48 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
^This is the answer to your question. Look at your tire’s sidewall for the max pressure setting.

You decide what tires offer the best reliability but after a couple of blowouts with “C” rated tires, when I owned Travel Trailers, I switched to “E” rated tires (10-ply) and never had any further problem. I also aired up to that sidewall PSI, as recommended by Discount Tire and others, which was 80 PSI. That sounded like a lot but was perfect.

Sorry but not completely correct.
The PSI on the tire is the highest PSI needed to deliver the highest load capacity shown on the tire. IT IS NOT the highest pressure the tire can tolerate. Note I am an actual tire design engineer so spent decades following Federal Regulations.
Old 01-08-2024, 08:57 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post

Sorry but information for a "Class-A Motorhome does not apply to a Travel Trailer.

Minimum COLD inflation should be based on the actual measured load on the tires. Knowing the actual load you consult the Load Inflation tables and set the COLD inflation to at least 110% of the PSI given for the heavy axle end. Inflate all tires on an axle to the inflation required by the heaviest loaded tire. Each axle on a Motorhome will be different but on a trailer the tires should all be supporting similar load which means similar COLD inflation.

If you do not understand the difference between COLD inflation and Maximum inflation you need to do more research and listed the the actual tire design engineers on the Internet. NOT the self appointed "Experts".

Tags
tire pressure