Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2020, 02:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Towing a 2019 micro Minnie Winnie 2108 ads

We currently have a Highlander XLE and find it slow going uphill. What would be the best tow vehicle fir this camper which Dry weight is 3900?
Skipurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 02:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

That is an incredibly hard question to answer. How many people? How much payload would you have in the vehicle aside from the tongue load? What does the trailer actually weigh (loaded) both overall and at the tongue? What would you use the vehicle for when not towing (daily driver)?

1/2 ton trucks are usually a safe match for the Micro Minnie trailers (just watch the payload).
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2019 2108 DS. When we tow, there are two adults and one 100 lb dog. We always travel with sanitation tanks empty and just a few gallons of water in the fresh water. We typically bring enough clothes for a week and purchase most of our food locally where we are camping. We bring a 3 gallon container of water for coffee and several bottle of water. Combining all the equipment and gear we bring would add up to about 500 lbs. We pull it with a 2014 Chevy Silverado Double Cab powered by a 285hp 4.3 liter V6 and six speed tranny.

We camp often in the Shawnee National Forest in Southern Illinois - some fairly hilly country. We also have camped several time in Missouri in the Ozarks. In addition, we have taken long trips to Door County WI, which is not particularly hilly, Custer SD, which is very hilly, and Eureka Springs AR also very hilly.

The Chevy handles hills fine, but you have to be ready for extended runs with your engine revs around 3700 to 4100 rpm. That said, when I have been in those situations I never noticed engine or tranny temps climbing or any other signs of over taxing the drive train. My gas mileage does drop by about 1 or 2 mpg.

My Silverado has about 94k on the clock right now. I do go the extra mile on maintenance especially with regards to changing oil, transmission flush and coolant flush. Other than adding an aftermarket brake controller, everything is factory stock.

I hope this info helps. I'm pretty sure any similar equipped 1/2 ton pickup would be up to the task.
Just Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:22 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks! Just bought a Dodge Ram 1500 big horn which should meet our needs
Skipurple is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing