Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-11-2021, 09:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Where's the parts Winnebago?

So disappointed in Winnebago!
Just brought our 2021 Minnie 2529RG back from the dealer. We had some warranty items that needed to be addressed, Nothing major, nothing that prevents us from enjoying our Minnie, but....our dealer can not get the needed parts from Winnebago:
One tail light has condensation in it, the other doesn't.
All seven air conditioning vents in the ceiling do not rotate. I broke one trying to remove it.
A drawer slide in the wardrobe went out under the wardrobe. The black plastic strip is damaged and most all the tiny ball bearings are gone.
The power cord came apart! The cable pulled out of the plug. I've duct taped it temporarily.
The bracket to the fire extinguisher broke.
The galley gray water valve is frozen.
2 BAL Stabilizer switches when out. One goes down but will not come up, the other goes down but come up intermittently.
I don't understand how Winnebago can keep pumping out campers but can't supply our dealer (or any other I'm guessing.)
OK, I'm done ranting.
travelkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 10:20 AM   #2
Site Team

Sorry you're experiencing problems.

One word of caution... you can't always take your dealer's word for the truth of the situation. I was going to say "you can't ever take your dealer's word" but thought I should temper that some.

I don't know how you can verify what they are telling you, but it probably doesn't matter because if they won't fix it - for whatever reason - the result is the same.

Obviously, you could go out today and purchase pretty much everything they are telling you they can't fix. Why is that? Maybe your warranty expires soon enough that if the dealer doesn't bother to fix it, maybe they think that you'll end up taking care of these little issues yourself???
Old 12-11-2021, 11:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I've been working on an email to Winnebago Customer Care and the CEO, Michael Happe. I know better than to push the "send" button when I'm a bit PO'd, so I'll cool off a bit and reread what I wrote before I hit send. I'm also going to CC to my dealer. That puts them in the hot seat should they be jerking my chain.
Old 12-11-2021, 12:02 PM   #4
Site Team

Best of luck, truly. Others here that have attempted this have seen zero response and zero reaction. Hopefully, your communication will not see this unsatisfactory non-response and perhaps something will be done about the situation.
Old 12-11-2021, 12:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I know that if I don’t say anything, then most certainly, nothing will be resolved.
Old 12-11-2021, 01:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Most companies are experiencing delays in the supply chain these days, I don't think Winnebago is unique. I need some HWH slider parts and HWH was out of stock. After some creative Googling, I located what I needed at an RV supply shop in the midwest, ordered them and had them in a few days.

1. Many parts, including most of what you cite, aren't Winnebago-specific and are either available from the manufacturer (like the stabilizer switch) or from other vendors, including Amazon. For example, if you need to replace a tail light lens, there should be a manufacturer's part number embossed on it. Many companies have their normal suppliers and are reluctant to shop elsewhere. Alternatively, they may be constrained by Winnebago in terms of warranty parts. Find out if your dealer is OK with you locating parts and reimbursing you for the cost.

2. Lichtsinn RV is a good source for Winnebago parts: https://www.lichtsinn.com/

3. I'd also double check with Winnebago, your dealer may be using parts availability as an excuse for delays.

4. If you have basic DIY skills most of what you cite are easily fixed and the parts aren't too expensive. Personally I'd probably acquire the parts and fix things myself.

Once you're finished with your warranty issues, forget about the dealer for any maintenance. Find yourself a good independent shop or repair person. If you tell us your location someone may have a suggestion for you.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 02:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Call winnebago with your part numbers and ask if they are avaliable. Go the their website to get your numbers. Would not trust that the dealer is saying.
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 04:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I should have mentioned in my previous post that Camping World, although independent, isn’t who Most of us would recommend for service.
Old 12-11-2021, 05:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I think " CC " meant carbon copy ?
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 05:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Yes!
Old 12-12-2021, 07:12 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelkids View Post
I know better than to push the "send" button when I'm a bit PO'd, so I'll cool off a bit and reread what I wrote before I hit send.
Now THAT is a lesson i need to learn!
Old 12-13-2021, 10:33 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

For those that are interested, I sent the email to Winnebago's president, customer service, and my dealer this morning. In the email I listed the VIN, date of purchase, and who my dealer is.
If you have a complaint, I encourage you to also contact Winnebago. Maybe nothing will be done, but I know nothing will be accomplished if you don't complain. The email address I have for the CEO of Winnebago, Michael Happe is: [email protected]. For Winnebago customer service I sent the email to: [email protected]. I'll post if I get a response. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."
PS: I've already received an automated email reply from customer service that they have received my email, so that is a good email address.
Old 12-13-2021, 02:12 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I had the best luck with Winnebago corporate via contacting the regional representative for the towables division. My dealer was quite happy for me to work issues with Winnebago directly via the regional rep (my issues were unique and not associated with the trailer I finally bought... long story). You could call Winnebago Towables and see if they’ll provide the name and contact info for your regional representative. It seemed to be a good middle ground in the organization... high enough to have a little influence but still low enough to care about individual customers.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 09:17 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Most companies are experiencing delays in the supply chain these days, I don't think Winnebago is unique. I need some HWH slider parts and HWH was out of stock. After some creative Googling, I located what I needed at an RV supply shop in the midwest, ordered them and had them in a few days.

1. Many parts, including most of what you cite, aren't Winnebago-specific and are either available from the manufacturer (like the stabilizer switch) or from other vendors, including Amazon. For example, if you need to replace a tail light lens, there should be a manufacturer's part number embossed on it. Many companies have their normal suppliers and are reluctant to shop elsewhere. Alternatively, they may be constrained by Winnebago in terms of warranty parts. Find out if your dealer is OK with you locating parts and reimbursing you for the cost.

2. Lichtsinn RV is a good source for Winnebago parts: https://www.lichtsinn.com/

3. I'd also double check with Winnebago, your dealer may be using parts availability as an excuse for delays.

4. If you have basic DIY skills most of what you cite are easily fixed and the parts aren't too expensive. Personally I'd probably acquire the parts and fix things myself.

Once you're finished with your warranty issues, forget about the dealer for any maintenance. Find yourself a good independent shop or repair person. If you tell us your location someone may have a suggestion for you.
I agree with all of this and will add - if Winnebago cant get all the parts it needs, its completely normal for them to prioritize revenue units for the parts they DO have. This is what the car industry is doing right now - i've been waiting on a screen replacement for my tahoe for 5 months now. the few parts they are getting are going to new vehicles. And i would add, if you or i owned these businesses that employ so many, that's exactly what we would be doing as well.
ocbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 08:26 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Sorry to hear about your problems. Hard to believe the companies are still putting out such junk. I would rather spend an extra 5-10k if they used high quality parts. The current situation seems to be working for the companies because they have no incentive to care.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 08:48 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

I usually just call and speak to Winnebago Customer Support on the phone and verify parts availability and if they tell me the parts are available I'll simply tell them there seems to be some confusion at the particular dealer I'm getting the runaround at and mysteriously that dealer calls me back about there error shortly afterwards to tell me how they were mistaken about the availability of the parts and had already ordered them.

You usually do not need to go to sending a CC the CEO of Winnebago, etc just verify through Winnebago's Customer Support Line whether the parts are available and which dealers might have them on hand. Winnebago has been pretty good about chastising dealers who use lack of parts as a false excuse to deny service especially during the factory warranty period.

Still due to Covid there is a possibility that some parts may be backlogged though some of the items mentioned are not usually Winnebago specific and things like drawer slides, switches, power cords, fire extinguishers, etc usually have plenty of generic off the shelf replacements available even through places like Home Depot, Lowes, etc. The Grey Water Valve can usually be sourced from a variety of vendors such as Camco, Valtera, etc, etc, etc and is not rocket science either. A good servicing dealer should have many of these all so common items on the shelf. The AC vents might be the only exception however forcing and breaking them while trying to take them apart might not really be considered a warranty item.
Old 12-24-2021, 07:50 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

I see you have a 2016 MKZ as a Toad. Are you towing wheels down? If so, what did you do? I have a 2020 MKZ that I tow with an 18' trailer but would love to tow wheels down.
Thanks
RevRJNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 08:05 AM   #18
Site Team

Perhaps you are asking me that question? You need to be clear who the “you” is in a thread with over a dozen posts/posters.

If it is me you’re referring to, it’s a 2016 MKX. But the “car” version should work the same. Consult your Vehicles Owner’s Manual to see if your MKZ is flat-Towable. Many versions of the vehicles are… but not every one. It depends on engine/transmission equipment.
Old 12-24-2021, 04:15 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Years ago I had a series of two Nash TTs. I never had to do so but, at the time, you could call the manufacturer. Northwood Manufacturing, who also makes Arctic Fox, and speak directly to Ron Nash, the founder and owner. Often he would be the first to answer the phone. Ron passed away in 2019. By the accounts I've read in various forums, he was very responsive in solving owners' problems.

We need more CEOs like him.
Old 12-24-2021, 05:06 PM   #20
Site Team

Bob C, I had a Nash and two Arctic Foxes. I met Ron before his stroke and found him super involved in his product.

I didn't have hardly anything go wrong on the TTs but once a water tank started leaking at the low point drain. The TT was two years out of warranty. The repair shop said it was stripped threads where the drain was screwed in to the tank. I called the factory (the repair shop didn't call) and without any proof other than my word the parts guy said, "Well, ship you a brand new fresh tank if you'll pay to install it." Deal!

Ron's gone and Northwood now owns Outdoor RV now too. I've heard there have been quality issues and that they are no longer so easy to deal with.

Tags
parts, winnebago