Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-14-2011, 05:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago Warranty Parts

Does anyone know why Winnebago will not provide warranty parts or sell any parts directly to the customer -- you must go through an authorized RV dealer. I've owned Holiday Rambler and Tiffin MHs in the past, and was always able to get warranty parts and/or purchase replacement parts directly from these manufacturers.
Andy-Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:03 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Dealer insistence.

They used to send to individuals but got protests.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

The RV manufacturers like any car manufacturer want to have the parts inspected and replaced if necessary by someone that's accountable to the company. This ensures the parts that are replaced actually need to be replaced and it's done properly.

All the parts replaced under warranty are inspected by a factory rep then the dealer is paid. If the dealer replaces a part and the factory rep says it was servicable the dealer doesn't get paid. If the dealer breaks or damages a part due to improper installation or lack of skill on the part of the technician the dealer doesn't get paid. If they misdiagnose a problem and install the wrong part the dealer doesn't get paid

Very few RV owners have been throgh the technical training that a Certified RV Technician goes through and don't have the skills necessary to properly diagnose and repair a complex system. If they guess wrong on which part failed and order and install the wrong part the problem isn't fixed and they're still unhappy.

I'm surprised this day in age that any company would send out no cost replacement parts trusting that an unknown person had properly diagnosed a problem and had in fact ordered the correct part. I can't tell you how many times people brought their cars into the dealership thinking they had a problem only to find out they weren't aware of how a system was supposed to operate and thought it was defective.

Some customers even thought that the warranty was spposed to cover everything bumper to bumper including accident damage. It's in the manfacturers interest to have a qualified trusted and accountable technician make the decisions as to what needs to be replaced, what can be repaired, and what is the owners responsibility
Old 12-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Can you say franchise mark up?
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

thanks for your lengthy reply. However, I am not referring to engine parts, electronic parts, complicated system parts, etc which require a competent technician to properly diagnosis the problem and determine the proper corrective action. I am referring to items that can be easily installed by non-techie owner, such as screw on velcro circles which hold the privacy curtain in place in the cab of an Aspect (which Winnebago forgot to install when the coach was built); bin holders that weren't installed; drawer handles that are broken; spray nozzles that don't close; etc. I would think providing these directly to the owner would be most cost effective manner to fix the problem by Winnebago (eliminating unnecessary paperwork) and increasing customer satisfaction and loyalty.

Have a blessed and holy holiday season and a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I understand why they won't ship a customer warranty parts but I sure wish we could order parts out of warranty on our own.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickBBD View Post
Can you say franchise mark up?
We've bought non warranty items through the parts department at our selling dealer and from the parts department at the Winnebago factory in Forest City. The only difference in price is the 15% discount the factory offers for WIT members.
However a customer wouldn't be paying for a warranty part so I don't understand your comment.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #8
rf4
Winnebago Watcher

try www.winnebagoparts.com

they had all the parts I needed. Have your VIN# when you call, that way they make sure they get you the correct part for your moho.
rf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago customer service rep said Winnebago could not provide replacement parts (either under warranty or for purchase) and I had to contact the dealer to order these parts. I tried to give him my Model, VIN and chasis #, but he would not take them. Insisted I had to deal directly with the dealer. Not very customer service oriented.
Have a great day and holiday
Old 12-14-2011, 11:24 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Try http://www.lichtsinn.com/rv-parts.aspx. I have purchased a few Winnebago products from them. Nice people and great service.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:29 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-Mo View Post
Winnebago customer service rep said Winnebago could not provide replacement parts (either under warranty or for purchase) and I had to contact the dealer to order these parts. I tried to give him my Model, VIN and chasis #, but he would not take them. Insisted I had to deal directly with the dealer. Not very customer service oriented.
Have a great day and holiday
Andy-Mo,
I can (kinda) understand your frustration, but on the other hand, do you have a number for Ford or General Motors so you can call and get warranty parts directly from them?

As for non-warranty parts, this forum has listed a couple of really good, reliable, fast sources of parts.

Corporate policy is to not sell/ship parts "mail-order". That being the case and not under his control, why would he (the Rep) take your Model, VIN, and chassis #?

I have been to Forest City twice and can say the Customer Service is excellent!
And once again I fall back on the "go to a Ford or GM factory and see what kinda customer service and repairs you can get"

Merry Christmas
Stik
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Remember when the factory had a surplus store? There was a whole cottage industry of people who would pick up the parts and material for you and ship it.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickBBD View Post
Remember when the factory had a surplus store? There was a whole cottage industry of people who would pick up the parts and material for you and ship it.
I loved that store. I used to go to Mason City several times a year for work. Every time I would make it a point to get over to the surplus store. I really miss it now that it's gone. The last time we went to GNR (2008) they had an abbreviated version of it in the warehouse by the parts department. At that time they thought it would be something they would do just for the rally.

Tags
winnebago