Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-19-2023, 11:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Water Pump / Check Valve 2022 Minnie 2327TB

We have a 2327TB that the dealer just replaced the water tank in under warranty.

We're currently in a campground that doesn't have heated water connections so at night when it drops below freezing we must disconnect and rely on the stored water in the tank. Not a problem usually but, since the dealer replaced the tank, the pump will now run non-stop, pumping the tank water out of the city water in connection.

I've temporarily put an inline shutoff valve at the city water inlet to stop the pump from emptying the water tank.

I assume that this is either a dealer screw-up or, maybe the check valve at/in the pump is stuck.

The question is - where in the heck is the pump? I can kinda hear it running in the kitchen area but I'm a little reluctant to remove everything from the base cabinets and disassemble them without knowing for sure that it'll be accessible. Maybe it's only accessible from behind the water heater or from the belly.

If it's the check valve (and not a dealer piping error) I'd rather try to implement that repair myself as opposed to waiting a month for a dealer appointment. I've read that sometimes a simple tap on the pump will free up a stuck check but, you have to find the pump first

Anyone got any ideas?
NomadRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 12:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

First do the easy!
This may/may not be the problem but easy to check and happens often!

Look in the port where the hose connects for a small piece of white(?)? plastic on a small spring. Many RV have this to let the city water pressure go IN but when no hose is connected and there is pressure from the pump building up the spring and pressure push the plastic against the inside of the fitting for poor man's "check valve"!

Take hose off and look to see if there is signs of a small dick pressed again the inside to keep water from coming out.
If broken replace the connection but it can also get flipped up on side and not stop water coming out.
There are other points to check , so let us know how that looks as a first thought?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 12:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Note: You may first have a screen which hides the little spring. Pull the screen out to get to the spring if needed. Sometimes using something like the head of a pencil to gently flick it lets it settle back into place if it is just got flipped wrong?
See through this screen what you might have? Hard to spot the little white plastic center part peeking out?
Click this snip to get a better view!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	port.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	187903  
Old 11-19-2023, 02:15 PM   #4
Site Team

I don't know your model specifically but since you mentioned it sounded like in the kitchen... I've seen it mentioned that sometimes the pump is under a lower kitchen drawer AND other times that there is a removable panel in the cabinet under the kitchen sink?

Just a SWAG on my part, but perhaps it will help.

If we're taking bets always bet that the dealer screwed things up.
Old 11-19-2023, 02:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Note: You may first have a screen which hides the little spring. Pull the screen out to get to the spring if needed. Sometimes using something like the head of a pencil to gently flick it lets it settle back into place if it is just got flipped wrong?
See through this screen what you might have? Hard to spot the little white plastic center part peeking out?
Click this snip to get a better view!
Thanks Morich!
When I looked closely at mine I found that the little screened dome was facing towards the check valve, depressing it and preventing it from closing completely.

I have no idea who put it in backwards - it might have been me - but it's been so long since I had a water tank to use, it's hard to say.

Problem solved!

Thanks again!
Old 11-19-2023, 03:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

My, my, don't we find a lot of really minor things to mess with our mind!

I have to admit that getting the screen turned around is an easy thing, most likely !
But on the other hand? Think how much easier to fix than the pump!

I'm not sure I've even had one with a screen and I've noticed it is pretty easy to get the little check valve messed up. Maybe it helps to protect the smaller parts if we get the turned right?

All better now, so you can move on and watch for the next trick!
Old 11-29-2023, 08:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

The question is - where in the heck is the pump? I can kinda hear it running in the kitchen area but I'm a little reluctant to remove everything from the base cabinets and disassemble them without knowing for sure that it'll be accessible. Maybe it's only accessible from behind the water heater or from the belly.

Anyone got any ideas?[/QUOTE]

We have the 2327tb: water pump is located below the sink. You need to remove the panel to access it.
getzold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 03:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, noted for future reference!
Old 11-30-2023, 01:17 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Exclamation Cannot find pdfs of plumbing layouts except for motor coaches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by getzold View Post

Anyone got any ideas?
Quote:

We have the 2327tb: water pump is located below the sink. You need to remove the panel to access it.
In the winnie trailers with a slide out kitchen it is under the kitchen slide on the outside wall. The access must be remove to winterize with rv antifreeze. I would imagine that the same thing applies to interior kitchen designs that have a slide with the fridge and couch on the other side. Most likely one needs to remove an access panel under the kitchen sink to winterize and access the pump because the pump is as close to the pickup for the fresh water tank as possible as it is a self priming pump plumbed in with a second bypass to a short hose to use to suck up rv antifreeze. Unfortunately winnebago in the infinite wisdom does not seem to have pdfs of trailer manuals available online like other manufacturers.
The assembly of the access to winterize should be similar to the ones in this video.
In my case I access things differently but yours should be similar to what you see in the video which is very good and a complete description of the steps necessary to winterize a trailer correctly and how the pump is used to do the job necessary.
Always remember to flip the controls back when de winterizing in the spring. iT IS VERY IMPORTANT that the hot water tank is bypassed and drained correctly and the interior lines are bypassed and if not blown clear with air then charged with antifreeze.
The other option is to take the trailer into a shop and pay to have the job done correctly.
Last year I took a chance and tried just draining the trailer. STUPID ME. It caused a split in the pressure flush toilet valve and I wound up having to fix the plumbing at the toilet.

It is a fair amount of work maintaining trailers correctly and missing steps and not knowing the systems is not an option unless one is rich and can afford to be hosed by what can be very greedy and overpriced "trailer mechanics". Some shops and trailer dealers especially charge ridiculous amounts for very simple maintenance routines that owners should be able to easily accomplish if the trailer has a decent service manuals available for their products as they should!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=l8ELN0LUg7E
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 05:54 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Hopefully the pump lines are not freezing! Exposing the lines might be the ticket if this is the case. If a short heat tape must be used then do some serious research about how to use one correctly. Pex is difficult as are devices like pumps so it is far better to have warm air get to the pex and the pump. Air circulation and some way to warm the tank from underneath so that it does not freeze might be the best option even if the trailer is skirted temporarily it is necessary to not freeze things and great care must be taken not to create a safety hazard with travel trailers if the plumbing need to be heated.
All my best solving your problems with winter camping and best of the season to you.
Eric
Old 12-06-2023, 08:32 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeman View Post
Hopefully the pump lines are not freezing! Exposing the lines might be the ticket if this is the case. If a short heat tape must be used then do some serious research about how to use one correctly. Pex is difficult as are devices like pumps so it is far better to have warm air get to the pex and the pump. Air circulation and some way to warm the tank from underneath so that it does not freeze might be the best option even if the trailer is skirted temporarily it is necessary to not freeze things and great care must be taken not to create a safety hazard with travel trailers if the plumbing need to be heated.
All my best solving your problems with winter camping and best of the season to you.
Eric
My issue has been resolved - it was an inverted dome washer holding the inlet check valve open. Flipped it over and all is well now.

Freezing is not a concern for me as I live in Tucson - we expect 83° today

Thanks for your input!

Mike
Old 12-07-2023, 01:43 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRider View Post
My issue has been resolved - it was an inverted dome washer holding the inlet check valve open. Flipped it over and all is well now.

Freezing is not a concern for me as I live in Tucson - we expect 83° today

Thanks for your input!

Mike
Sorry I didn't catch your local when reading about your pump troubles. Most likely it was sucking in air which makes it lose prime and run continuously. Something as simple as that was a royal PITA tracking the cause down I am sure. Fortunately it is usually little quality control problems on the build not major headaches mostly with these trailers. We had a very simple issue with a pinched faulty ground wire somewhere on the frame that caused havoc with the running lights and turn signals that took me a year to track down. We had to run a new ground wire to fix our trailer running lights and brake lights.

Hopefully the next polar vortex doesn't bite your rig. Just kidding!!! I live in Victoria BC up north and some years I might as well be living in So Cal lately! It was 56.3 f the other day another 100 year record for this neck of the woods on Dec 5. The rivers on the south island just about all dried up this last summer for the first time in history. About that I am not kidding.

Almost tempted to de winterize and go up to a beautiful park in Parksville BC and spend Christmas off grid sun tanning for a change.

Tags
water, water pump