Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2007, 03:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2004 36G Meridian and can not get any hot water flow. The problem appears to be one of the water line check valves. The check valve at the water heater may be the problem. The only way to get at it is through removal of about a 6 inch disk on the back of the water heater. If I use a light and mirror I can see the valve below the opening. There is no head room to get a good view and no working room through the area where the disk opens. Has anyone changed this check valve and if so how did you accomplish the task.

Would appreciate any ideas.

Many Thanks.
Dean Nelson
Dean Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2004 36G Meridian and can not get any hot water flow. The problem appears to be one of the water line check valves. The check valve at the water heater may be the problem. The only way to get at it is through removal of about a 6 inch disk on the back of the water heater. If I use a light and mirror I can see the valve below the opening. There is no head room to get a good view and no working room through the area where the disk opens. Has anyone changed this check valve and if so how did you accomplish the task.

Would appreciate any ideas.

Many Thanks.
Dean Nelson
Dean Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:24 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

you can do it with the feel and touch method and a small handle wrench or vise grip..I removed mine and removed the guts and put it back on....no problem since I don't need to winterize.....good luck....RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

can you please explain further on why you need the check vavlve? or don't if you do not winterize...thanks
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If you winterize, check valve prevents antifreeze from entering the water heater...If you don't need to winterize you don't really need it. It also prevents cold water from entering the w/h from the back side (out) but this is not really a problem...RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:17 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Correct me if I'm wrong.... But, The check valve prevents hot water from backing up into the COLD water pipes..... The hot water PVC is high temp the cold water PVC isn't.
The Hot water Heater Bypass prevents Anti-freeze from entering the HW Heater, thus saving 6 to 10 gallons of Pink Stuff....filling the HW heater.
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

On my RV, all I have to do to get access to the back of the HWH is remove a couple of drawers. My check valves would make too much noice so I took them out and just put in a couple of pex fittings. I also removed the factory winterizing valve. I installed a couple of new winterizing valves (1 cold, 1 hot) at the rear of the HWH. That way I don't need the check valves and am still able to winterize properly. I have had no problems with the hot water going into the cold and vise-versa.
p.s. I spoke with Winnebago reguarding the need for the check valves and they stated they are only needed for winterization assuming the factory winterization valve has not been altered.