Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-30-2021, 01:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Vent Replacement Question

The vent above our bed needs to be replaced with a fan. How do I determine the size of fan to purchase?

thank you! I promise I searched for the answer before posting . . . I really did! I'm sorry if this has been answered somewhere else.

2020 2108DS
seredni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 01:42 PM   #2
Site Team

I beleive that you will find that vent to be about 14x14 inches. That is the common size as most vents with a fan, vent only and AC units. If you have electrical close you may be able to tie into that for the power, but my guess is whatever fan you find for the RV will work in the same hole (assuming it's a standard sized opening).
Old 04-30-2021, 02:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I replaced mine with a Maxxfan Deluxe. You can look up the specs for those, but I think RV vent fans are pretty standardized. I think they’re almost all 14x14 as stated above.

The only thing that might influence your decision is the presence or absence of obstructions near the vent on your roof. My trailer had MC4 connectors for solar immediately behind the vent, which made installing the Deluxe a bit more hassle owing to the elongated shape of its top. It would have been easier to install something more traditional like the Maxxair fan.
Old 04-30-2021, 02:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by seredni View Post
The vent above our bed needs to be replaced with a fan. How do I determine the size of fan to purchase?

thank you! I promise I searched for the answer before posting . . . I really did! I'm sorry if this has been answered somewhere else.

2020 2108DS
In the meantime, consider buying a small 12v usb fan, $30 on Amazon. It will clip onto the rail above the bed, or onto the slide molding, runs all night on a charge, and is much quieter than a roof fan. Charges up in 3 hrs from USB port.
Old 04-30-2021, 03:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
In the meantime, consider buying a small 12v usb fan, $30 on Amazon. It will clip onto the rail above the bed, or onto the slide molding, runs all night on a charge, and is much quieter than a roof fan. Charges up in 3 hrs from USB port.
A clip fan isn’t a bad idea. I will say the Maxxfan Deluxe is very quiet (nearly silent) at the lower speed levels (3 and lower), low cost in terms of energy, and is remarkably good at pulling outside air into the trailer from any open windows. I highly recommend this style of fan for those who want to pull in cooler evening air prior to or while sleeping.
Old 04-30-2021, 03:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Yeah. I want a Maxxfan too. But they’re expensive, so I have to save up my allowance.
Old 04-30-2021, 04:52 PM   #7
Proud “No Intent” Owner

We did have a discussion on this forum about changing the roof vent to a fan and someone found a replacement that was installed from the inside, not having to get on the roof even. If you search some more, you should find it. It was only about two or three months ago.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Maxair fan, fits the same hole, get power from nearest light fixture. Blows in or out, several speeds, can run when it’s raining, and it’s quiet! Best addition we done.
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:34 PM   #9
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Backtrack can you search out ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
A clip fan isn’t a bad idea. I will say the Maxxfan Deluxe is very quiet (nearly silent) at the lower speed levels (3 and lower), low cost in terms of energy, and is remarkably good at pulling outside air into the trailer from any open windows. I highly recommend this style of fan for those who want to pull in cooler evening air prior to or while sleeping.
Backtrack can you search out an example (amazon link) of the fan you mentioned? When i go to amazon i find a million or so

I'd be interested in seeing an example of what you are using.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2021, 10:48 PM   #10
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7997redtail View Post
Backtrack can you search out an example (amazon link) of the fan you mentioned? When i go to amazon i find a million or so

Thanks
I won’t speak for him, but we’re using two of these, and I believe that’s what others are referring to, as it’s their best fan...
You can get a stock cover that is opaque, or a smoke cover that’s more like a tinted skylight. I purchased the latter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	63F48BF8-5F18-4686-B513-73DC625EF225.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	178708  
Old 05-05-2021, 11:08 PM   #11
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

I miss read that

I read the part about pulling air from the windows and thought it was a window clip on fan.

“is remarkably good at pulling outside air into the trailer from any open windows”

Our 08 sightseer has no fan in the bedroom and the wife hogs the opening side of the window. I get to roast :(
Old 05-06-2021, 12:27 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

I concur with all who have replaced their OEM vents with MaxxAir units. We bought the near-top end units with wireless remote controls (while we were at it we also replaced the bathroom fan). They're the cat's meow!

You may have a challenge with wiring if the opening is not pre-wired with 12v power. Mine was not, so I had to run power from the nearest light fixture. At the front over the cab, the nearest light was about 2 feet away to the side. I used an aluminum rod to carefully "punch" a hole through the Styrofoam layer of the roof from the vent opening to the light fixture so the wiring would be completely out of sight.

In the back over the bed the nearest light was about 2 feet forward and unfortunately the same method didn't work because something, probably a roof crossmember, blocked the aluminum rod. Instead, I ran a short piece of white surface mount Wiremold from the light to the vent opening. Worked like a charm and is not visually obtrusive.

Another interesting thing about the OEM vents on our Minnie Winnie that surprised me: there were no fasteners holding the original vents to the roof. Just a bead of Butyl rubber sealant. It worked well with no leakage. I also used Butyl to mount the new fan vents, but used some screws too just to be safe and sound.

It was pretty easy to remove the OEM vents - just used a wide but stiff putty knife pushed between the roof fiberglass and the vent flange, taking care not to scratch the fiberglass.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:00 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2108ds. I replaced my vent with a Henge vent fan. It’s the exact size as the vent and doesn’t require removing the old vent cover like a Maxxair ( so no cutting roof). Plus the Henge is much less expensive as the maxxair.
Just Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:15 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Mike View Post
I have a 2108ds. I replaced my vent with a Henge vent fan. It’s the exact size as the vent and doesn’t require removing the old vent cover like a Maxxair ( so no cutting roof). Plus the Henge is much less expensive as the maxxair.
Mike,
Is your hinged vent fan thermostat controll? I want a less expensive and easier to install fan than Maxxair. Could you please provide link, or model info. Thx.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:25 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7997redtail View Post

Thanks
Wyatt highlighted the right thing. I went with the smoked lid and opted for the version with 10 speeds but without the remote.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:26 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

[QUOTE=Marine359;3894814]Mike,
Is your hinged vent fan thermostat controll? I want a less expensive and easier to install fan than Maxxair. Could you please provide link, or model info. Thx.[/QUOTE

Model info Hengs Industiries - 90046-CR Vortex II Replacement Fan Kit (501.1099)I have a link for the fan on Amazon I've attached.
https://www.amazon.com/Hengs-Industr...0306879&sr=8-3

Also, here's YouTube link for installing the fan.

One more thing, I also installed a Camco vent cover that attached directly to the existing vent cover frame. This allows use of the fan while it's raining. I've attached a link for that also. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EDOSN8...roduct_details

Good luck!
Just Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:52 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Nice. Not thermostat controlled (we have a pet), but if it’s miserly on power consumption, I guess I could just leave it on while we are away.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:01 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
I concur with all who have replaced their OEM vents with MaxxAir units. We bought the near-top end units with wireless remote controls (while we were at it we also replaced the bathroom fan). They're the cat's meow!

You may have a challenge with wiring if the opening is not pre-wired with 12v power. Mine was not, so I had to run power from the nearest light fixture. At the front over the cab, the nearest light was about 2 feet away to the side. I used an aluminum rod to carefully "punch" a hole through the Styrofoam layer of the roof from the vent opening to the light fixture so the wiring would be completely out of sight.

In the back over the bed the nearest light was about 2 feet forward and unfortunately the same method didn't work because something, probably a roof crossmember, blocked the aluminum rod. Instead, I ran a short piece of white surface mount Wiremold from the light to the vent opening. Worked like a charm and is not visually obtrusive.

Another interesting thing about the OEM vents on our Minnie Winnie that surprised me: there were no fasteners holding the original vents to the roof. Just a bead of Butyl rubber sealant. It worked well with no leakage. I also used Butyl to mount the new fan vents, but used some screws too just to be safe and sound.

It was pretty easy to remove the OEM vents - just used a wide but stiff putty knife pushed between the roof fiberglass and the vent flange, taking care not to scratch the fiberglass.

The inner frame screws into the outer frame from below clamping it all securely to the roof without the need to make more holes in the roof thereby eliminating all those potential points of failure that traditionally cause them to leak.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:43 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
I replaced mine with a Maxxfan Deluxe. You can look up the specs for those, but I think RV vent fans are pretty standardized. I think they’re almost all 14x14 as stated above.

The only thing that might influence your decision is the presence or absence of obstructions near the vent on your roof. My trailer had MC4 connectors for solar immediately behind the vent, which made installing the Deluxe a bit more hassle owing to the elongated shape of its top. It would have been easier to install something more traditional like the Maxxair fan.

Backtrack, so how did you install the Maxxair deluxe fan with the roof entry gland right behind the existing vent? I wanted to put one there, but didn't figure out a way to make it work without moving the roof entry gland.
fringemtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 06:00 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

I made a 1” thick offset frame to lift the vent 1” higher (and clear the MC-4 connections).
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, vent