Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-30-2022, 05:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

30 RLSS Quality Issues

Hi All,

This is an exasperation post. A rant if you will. Our 2019 Minnie Plus 30 RLSS has had numerous quality problems. I have written Winnebago a letter without much of a response. My very recent experience of blowing 2 rear tires (about 2 hours apart). Checking with many friends, they mentioned that stock tires are junk. Ours were 2 1/2 years old with approximately 5 K miles on them blew the tread clear off both tires. They were properly inflated. In both instances the tread destroyed the under belly above the tires.

My question to Winne is why use such junk tires? Why not spend a little more money on the construction and quality of components? I would pay more for higher quality and originally thought we had. I am considering trading just because this trailer has been a nightmare.

Thanks for reading and I apologize for the downer post but changing a tire in I-70 in downtown St Louis will do that to a guy.

David Farrington
Donzi98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 06:24 PM   #2
Site Team

David, first sorry for your issues. I’ve blown trailer tires and it’s a bummer.

However, the fact that you blew tires doesn’t mean it’s Winnebago’s fault. Lots of people go through years of service with the stock tires and no blowouts.

The first questions to ask is… what psi are you running? Next is, when you weighed your RV at the truck scale what’s was the weight on the axels? And lastly do you ever drive your Tow vehicle and RV faster than 65 mph?

I blew a number of travel trailer tires years ago. But… I learned the hard way to weigh my loaded trailer, to run my tires at the MAX psi and to never drive over 65mph (which was the max speed rating of my tires).

Yes all travel trailer manufacturers seem to install tires that are not superior quality but treated right most never blow.

I know it’s easy to blame Winnebago but as with most things there are many reasons that tires fail. I’m not trying to put the blame on your actions, just pointing out that many of us inadvertently cause some of our own problems and with experience we gradually learn better practices.

One other thing to check and that’s to insure your axels are not skewed or bent.
Old 02-01-2022, 02:04 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the reply. I had my tires inflated to 80 lbs. I will check the speed limits on my tires. They are all new right now but another no name tire. They were my only choice. We do tow at 70-73 mph. We keep our trailer pretty lean on weight (I think) but will get it weighed as soon as possible.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-01-2022, 03:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

What kind of tires? Is 80psi the correct loaded psi for those stock tires? That's a pretty heavy trailer you have there, definitely get to a scale to see your loaded weights.
Old 02-01-2022, 08:47 AM   #5
Site Team

You’re smarter than I was. I saw that my tires said 80psi max and thought, “Well, that’s Max so 60 psi ought to be good enough.” Oops.

I never weighed my trailer(s), so I have no idea if it was overloaded or not.

When my first tire blew I bought a replacement at Discount Tire. They offered a replacement warranty on all my trailer tires for something like $48. So I got that. Then as I blew trailer tires year after year they replaced them for “Free.” Thing was the OEM tires were load rated C so all the replacements were the same load rated C tires.

Finally, after 6 blowouts - with Free replacements - in as many years I started researching and wised up… a little. I had all 4-tires replaced with new, one size larger, load rated E tires inflated to 80 psi and never blew another trailer tire.

Heat is the enemy of trailer tires and low pressure, high speed and too much weight all contribute to heat in your trailer tires.

Manufacturers seem to spec the smallest, cheapest tires that they can spec. They match the load rating to the trailer’s weight but not the weight of your loaded trailer. And this is a universal reality - not a Winnebago thing. My trailer’s were Arctic Fox and they are known to be pretty well built but the tires were not generously specified from the factory.

I’ve seen many TT owners smarter than me state that they replace the tires on day one for any new trailer they buy.
Old 02-01-2022, 09:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Hi David,
Understanding your frustration, but:
Age, mileage and exposure to UV are the enemy of tires no matter how good they are. Surely, GY Endurance are way better than the cheap Chinese tires that were standard on your rig in 2019. Think about how you stored it, if you used tire covers, what year were the tires made, and you may understand that you stretched their useful life beyond what one might expect from China bombs. I believe WBGO has now switched to GY for all towables. I’ve got 9,000 mi and a little over a year on my OEM Westlakes. When I hit 20,000 mi or two years, whichever comes sooner, I’m sending those puppies to the pound. Will replace with GY Endurance. In defense of WBGO, they bought the same tires as the rest of the industry, so I’m glad to see them get religion.
Old 02-01-2022, 02:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Talking Tires

I just got to jump in here when the topic is tires. Firstly, I agree with everything said on this thread. I'm amazed how fast some folks drive in MHs, fivers, and TT. I drive no faster than 60, Maybe it's my age; I am in no hurry. I've seen folks pass me, I know they are doing 75-80 MPH pulling a small TT. Do they realize how many rotations those small TT tires are making at 80 MPH as compared to their large truck tires? I've owned them all from tent campers through large DPs continually upgrading as I traded. Have owned three Newmar's, a 35' fiver and two MHs. All came with Michelins. I know they are pricey, but I prefer them over the more popular GYs and Firestones. Drove my Newmar 3910 for 13 years, replaced the tires at the seven year mark, which is the recommended time to change, even though they showed no signs of sidewall deterioration's. Several RV clubs like FMCA, offer discounts on tires. Had the tries delivered to a shop of my choice at quite a discount, and of course I paid for balance and installation. Current rig (Minnie Forza 34T) has Michelins and a "cross fire" installed on the dualizes. I have always used a TPMS. My currant one measures pressure and temperature. They aren't that expensive, but mandatory IMHO. My rigs' tires are never stored on dirt. When I had to so I used heavy plywood with large holes drilled in them, and my tires are always covered. Now I have a concrete pad so I don't need the plywood anymore. Don't skimp on load range of the tires, the higher the better. And WEIGH your rig loaded to camp. You may be shocked at what it weighs when you load everything for the family. Michelin provides an excellent brochure that allows you to adjust tire pressure based on what the scales tell you. If you can find a place to do it, have all four tire locations weighed independently. It stands to reason you and your family are riding on those rubber things. Knock on wood, I have never experienced a blow out, and contribute that to the fact that those "things" are my first priority. LOL
SgtB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 05:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I've never heard of "My rigs' tires are never stored on dirt. When I had to so I used heavy plywood with large holes drilled in them."
What's the backstory on this? At 72, I've never worried about parking on an unpaved surface. My MH sits on my graveled parking area. In my construction days, all our vehicles and trailers sat on dirt their whole lives, so I'm interested in if I've missed something here. Thanks.
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Sorry for the delay in answering some of the replies. We got stuck in a major ice storm on our way home. All is ok, just extra days camping!

My new tires are 225/75 R15 Load Range E 10 ply. Speed rated 75 mph. Because of the situation, I bought what they had in the small town. They are Master Craft tires. I have not weighed my trailer yet but I will. We pull no faster than 72-73 mph. I will buy some new American tires when I can. They are parked on small sized gravel and protected from the sun.

This thread morphed into a tire discussion which is ok because I am learning all the time. So thanks for that. However, the original issue was the lack of build quality in my Winnebago trailer. I have had to make numerous repairs to the trailer. I expected more from a Winnebago product. It is a great looking trailer. We get compliments all the time. I just wish I did not have to fix things all the time.

Thanks for all the feed back!

Dave
Old 02-07-2022, 07:08 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 99037 View Post
I've never heard of "My rigs' tires are never stored on dirt. When I had to so I used heavy plywood with large holes drilled in them."
What's the backstory on this? At 72, I've never worried about parking on an unpaved surface. My MH sits on my graveled parking area. In my construction days, all our vehicles and trailers sat on dirt their whole lives, so I'm interested in if I've missed something here. Thanks.
Moisture is the culprit. Add UV rays and you are shortening the life of the tire. RV tires rarely need to be replaced due to tread wear. It's age, so why not do all one can to add to that age. Yes, I have seen construction equipment lots and boat storage lots where everything is sitting on dirt and I also see lots of flat tires. Gravel may well be OK since it is probably porous so the moisture doesn't affect the tires as much as dirt
SgtB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:20 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzi98 View Post
However, the original issue was the lack of build quality in my Winnebago trailer. I have had to make numerous repairs to the trailer. I expected more from a Winnebago product.
I think if you read and learn more about RVs you’ll discover that all brands at all price points have all the same issues.

It’s a shame but this is the RV industry we live with.

When you buy an RV, any RV, even a million dollar RV, you may get a good one, an OK one or a horrible one with lots of problems.

Personally, I find Winnebago is better than most others. But if you expect a well designed, well sorted and well built RV with zero issues you will be disappointed.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:26 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Angry quality issues in the industry

With all these issues present in the RV industries dealing with very low quality products and unanswered issues: is it any surprise that the industry is not part of the "Lemon Laws"? This industry is excluded from those legislations and legal recourses.
Moonie
moonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:11 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonie View Post
With all these issues present in the RV industries dealing with very low quality products and unanswered issues: is it any surprise that the industry is not part of the "Lemon Laws"? This industry is excluded from those legislations and legal recourses.
Moonie
That’s true in most but not all states, I think there are exceptions. But, they all really center on safety and drivability issues more than anything. Not problems with the “house” and it’s equipment.
Old 02-08-2022, 02:37 PM   #14
Proud “No Intent” Owner

I’m actually surprised we were able to get a class A Intent 26m brand new for only $70,000.
The Ford chassis sticker price is $30,000 some odd dollars. Now I know they get a fleet discount. But still, my same unit would probably cost double that if it built perfectly.
We’ve only had minor issues, nothing, (other than the evaporator recall), that I couldn’t just remedy myself. Guess we got lucky the day ours was built…

Tags
quality