Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-14-2022, 06:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Tool List Suggestions

Purchased a a new 22 Micro Minnie 2100BH last December and in the process of setting up a tool kit for it and was wondering what tools I should include. Do I need both metric and standard wrenches and sockets? After watching some U-tube videos on RV construction I get the impression there will be ISSUES no matter how new or what make a person buys. Kinda scary and discouraging for us non-mechanic/ types. Oh well; it will be a learning experience. Thanks in advance for your tool suggestions.
grogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 03:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I carry just the basics, standard socket, vice grip, screw drivers and the rv screw driver, wire cutters, tape. The list could go on, and on, in this day and age one is never to far away from some sort of hardware store for needed items. Every year I go through my tool box and clean out all the past summer added things. All the extra nuts and bolts I thought I would need that kind of thing. Tools can add alot of weight that is really not necessary.
be happy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 06:04 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Make sure you bring along an assortment of Zip ties!! I also bought a lightweight (Ryobi) cordless drill.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 06:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

The very first tool you should buy is a multimeter and learn how to use it.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 08:00 AM   #5
Site Team

I find that a fairly complete set of different screw driver types is needed. Robinson, T-types, star shaped, etc. Remember, it’s not just what Winnebago uses but dozens of suppliers of all the 3rd party gear, too.

Yes, we all find issues cropping up with new RVs, but it is a learning experience- heck, every part of RV ownership and usage is a “learning experience.”
Old 02-15-2022, 08:25 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks folks for all the great suggestions. Makes a lot of sense not to bring a tool that a person is very unlikely to use. I realize now that weight is a HUGH consideration with RV's.
Old 02-16-2022, 07:42 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird65 View Post
A cheap $4.99 multi-meter from Harbor Freight will be all you need. While there, pick up the zip ties, a bunch of cheap flashlights and a nice pair of leather gloces. Oh! A cheap tarp to lay on when crawling under the RV on gravel.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 07:54 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Charlie View Post
A cheap $4.99 multi-meter from Harbor Freight will be all you need. While there, pick up the zip ties, a bunch of cheap flashlights and a nice pair of leather gloces. Oh! A cheap tarp to lay on when crawling under the RV on gravel.
Thanks Charlie; I would have never thought of a tarp; but that makes a lot of sense; maybe some knee pads would be wise to include also.
Old 02-16-2022, 08:13 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird65 View Post
When buying a multimeter, think about getting one with a clamp-on amp probe that reads both DC and AC amps. It will allow you to measure amperage without disconnecting any wires. It may not make a lot of sense to you now but it will when you start to troubleshoot an electrical issue.

Amazon has a pretty good selection in the $30 - $50 range. Don't go too cheap but there's no need for a top of the line multimeter for $$$ either. I recently bought one of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just make sure the clamp on probe is AC/DC, it's not always clear in the descriptions.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with Mtn Charlie's suggestion of getting an inexpensive multimeter for your rig but keep the clamp on meter in mind. It can be a great tool to keep at home.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 08:19 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I prepared an "emergency" kit in addition to the basic tools. I have a small bin with road flares, duct tape, electrical tape, flashlights, extra batteries, light bulbs, small 1st aid kit, a gallon of water and a rubber mallet.
X2 on the multi meter.
202235f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 08:42 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
When buying a multimeter, think about getting one with a clamp-on amp probe that reads both DC and AC amps. It will allow you to measure amperage without disconnecting any wires. It may not make a lot of sense to you now but it will when you start to troubleshoot an electrical issue.

Amazon has a pretty good selection in the $30 - $50 range. Don't go too cheap but there's no need for a top of the line multimeter for $$$ either. I recently bought one of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just make sure the clamp on probe is AC/DC, it's not always clear in the descriptions.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with Mtn Charlie's suggestion of getting an inexpensive multimeter for your rig but keep the clamp on meter in mind. It can be a great tool to keep at home.
Hi Bob; thanks for the link; I just ordered one too but I got it on e-bay (same price)
Old 02-16-2022, 10:12 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

This isn't a tool but a must in my mind. I bought a holder for a box of vinyl gloves and mounted it on the door of the compartment where my dump valves are located.
https://www.amazon.com/Stock-Your-Ho...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 10:17 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202235f View Post
I prepared an "emergency" kit in addition to the basic tools. I have a small bin with road flares, duct tape, electrical tape, flashlights, extra batteries, light bulbs, small 1st aid kit, a gallon of water and a rubber mallet.
X2 on the multi meter.
I prefer emergency, reflective road triangles and LED "beacons" to road flares:

https://trail4runner.com/2018/11/11/...y-road-flares/
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 12:38 PM   #14
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Along with everyone else’s comments, I might add to read all of your manuals first, as there are certain specific tools called for in the manuals that you may need for emergency repairs that otherwise you may not think to carry.
Old 02-16-2022, 12:51 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

BobC:

Good call on the triangles and beacons. Might last a bit longer than the flares!
I'll update my kit next time I'm at the store.

Thanks
202235f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 02:07 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn charlie View Post
this isn't a tool but a must in my mind. I bought a holder for a box of vinyl gloves and mounted it on the door of the compartment where my dump valves are located.
https://www.amazon.com/stock-your-ho...nsawnrpxrydwu=
great idea; keeps rubber gloves where they are needed.
Old 02-20-2022, 06:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202235f View Post
BobC:

Good call on the triangles and beacons. Might last a bit longer than the flares!
I'll update my kit next time I'm at the store.

Thanks
In some areas flares could banned if there's an extreme fire risk.
Jos 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 07:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogers View Post
Purchased a a new 22 Micro Minnie 2100BH last December and in the process of setting up a tool kit for it and was wondering what tools I should include. Do I need both metric and standard wrenches and sockets? After watching some U-tube videos on RV construction I get the impression there will be ISSUES no matter how new or what make a person buys. Kinda scary and discouraging for us non-mechanic/ types. Oh well; it will be a learning experience. Thanks in advance for your tool suggestions.
What tools you need depends on how comfortable you are doing the work and how far off-the-beaten-path you like to travel. The picture of my truck was taken in the Yukon Territory in northern Canada. I carried a spare tire and the tools to change it, as well as jacks, tarp, and small tool kit etc. I also carried some medical equipment to leave in those far-flung villages to replace anything we might have used and to help anybody who needed first aid hours away from medical help.
Jos 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 10:30 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Thumbs up If you off road at all these items are essential IMO

A sealed fresh roll of very high quality repair tape not just cheap duck tape especially if you have a fiberglass rv. Preferably 4 inch wide. Tree branches can be very problematic especially if you get caught out camping in heavy winds the way we do frequently where we camp.

The other very important item in the kit is some wire of the same gauges used on the unit along with waterproof connectors, side cutters and crimping plyers. A multimeter is nice to have but at a minimum you should have tester lights that will work with 12 to 24 volt dc and one that will work with 120 volt ac.
I carry a multimeter and a premade bulldog jumper as well as test lights.

I had a brake wire snap out in the middle on nowhere going over a downed tree branch a few years back. Having an electrical repair kit with the right sized wire and connectors in my tool box was essential. It is also a very good idea to carry extra running light bulbs.

The most important item of all is at least one good quality low profile hydraulic bottle jack that can lift the entire weight of your trailer in a pinch, our little jack is rated at 2 tonnes and the trailer is only around 3000 lbs loaded.

Another consideration that many people forget is to always carry a platform to put a jack on if you get stuck somewhere soft on the side of the road changing a tire or fixing something. I carry some 2x4 shorts and a 16 x 20 inch piece of 3/4 plywood as well as the usual blocks for the front jacks, the stabilizers and wheel chalks.

My tools and accessories only total about 100 lbs so there is plenty of capacity for my wife to load the other amenities that make camping fun.
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 07:06 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Consider having a few tools inside as well as the big box outside. Example, the multi-tip screwdriver, pliers and a hammer. I have been locked INSIDE with a failed TriMark lock and needed tools that were outside.
Chuck
ChckNDee is offline   Reply With Quote