Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-21-2022, 08:43 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

For the vista, ford chassis, I found that both metric and standard sockets and wrenches are needed. I have up to 1 inch for suspension work/fixes.

San Francisco Bay Area
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 08:58 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogers View Post
Thanks Charlie; I would have never thought of a tarp; but that makes a lot of sense; maybe some knee pads would be wise to include also.
I bought these and I put it together and laid it under the mattress, takes up no room and weighs next to nothing and will come in handy if ever needed to crawl underneath or on the roof. Of course when I bought them before Covid they were only 1/2 what they cost now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	foam tiles.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	182072  
Old 02-21-2022, 12:28 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

I second (or third?) the Multi Meter. Mine's super simple/inexpensive.

I'd also add spare fuses, at least one of every amp size that is in your converter panel. (Mine are "ATC" but yours may differ). These can be tricky to find, especially the 1 Amp size. Auto Parts stores seem to have them.

Tire changing ramp if you have tandem axle. This will save you from having to place a jack and will work on uneven surface.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Square scewdriver or bits in size "S1" and "S2". I don't know the name of this type but they aren't hex or Torx. Phillips will work but the square ones are easier for the square screws.

If you're comfortable doing major overhauls/repairs, I'd add a PEX Crimper and collars.
Old 02-21-2022, 01:05 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

we winter in florida (snobirds) and a neighbor just left leaving his beachcomer bicycle which needed a few tlc repairs...so I got into my toolbox full of assorted sockets etc only to discover the 3/8 drive rachet is missing duh..sockets are pretty much useless without the driver.....thanks to my long time friends here the bike is back up and running....
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 05:58 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Gorilla Tape is a great super strong improvement over regular Duct (Duck) tape. It holds up well in weather and the sun and is available in a variety of colors (even clear) and types:

https://www.gorillatough.com/product...=.gorilla-tape

Once you've tried it, you'll never buy the regular stuff again even though Gorilla Tape costs a bit more.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 05:37 AM   #26
Winnie-Wise

I carry tools and spare parts/supplies in a pair of one touch toolboxes. They're waterproof and strong enough you can stand on them.

Note: The pics are from last year and the contents have been upgraded since.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-2...4082/202710560
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210615_095449958.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	182099   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210615_095444012.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	182100  

Old 02-24-2022, 05:53 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Along with everyone else’s comments, I might add to read all of your manuals first, as there are certain specific tools called for in the manuals that you may need for emergency repairs that otherwise you may not think to carry.
I downloaded, printed and put the manual in a three ring binder. Just in case..
FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 06:25 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

When we bought our first trailer 4 years ago, I obsessed about creating the perfect onboard toolset for any need. Over the years, I realized that I was unlikely to do any optional work or mods while camping, so I really just needed items for emergency repairs. I can “putter” later in my driveway, where my full set of wrenches, power tools, etc. is just a few steps away.

We bought a cheap Black & Decker “toolset-in-a-bag” from Home Depot—stuff I’d be embarrassed to rely on at home, but it gave me the basic hammer, screwdrivers, pliers etc. in a small, lightweight container. It included a chintzy power drill with multiple bits. I added a socket for my manual stabilizers.

Beyond that, the only additions have been fastener hardware (small screws and nails), some sealant caulk in a handheld tube, electrical and duct tape, and a cheap multimeter. It’s served me well over time.
ZoraK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 08:33 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoraK9 View Post
When we bought our first trailer 4 years ago, I obsessed about creating the perfect onboard toolset for any need. Over the years, I realized that I was unlikely to do any optional work or mods while camping, so I really just needed items for emergency repairs. I can “putter” later in my driveway, where my full set of wrenches, power tools, etc. is just a few steps away.

We bought a cheap Black & Decker “toolset-in-a-bag” from Home Depot—stuff I’d be embarrassed to rely on at home, but it gave me the basic hammer, screwdrivers, pliers etc. in a small, lightweight container. It included a chintzy power drill with multiple bits. I added a socket for my manual stabilizers.

Beyond that, the only additions have been fastener hardware (small screws and nails), some sealant caulk in a handheld tube, electrical and duct tape, and a cheap multimeter. It’s served me well over time.

Your suggestions make a lot of sense. One could go "overboard" which would result in extra weight that is not needed.
grogers is offline   Reply With Quote